How To: Racetronix Fuel pump install - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Racetronix Fuel pump install
Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:04 PM
Good article.
I'll be needing this for my Cartech FMU to use on my pre 99 supercharger install.
Funny I kept my old fuel pump to be modified for something I had planned for down the road but that will be perfect for installing the Racetronix pump into before I have to actually remove the tank.
So thanks for the how to man.
Now I gotta buy all the things I need to do this M45 install.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:25 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the racetronix wire harness does work on our j's. I have the hahn port fueler so that means I have 2 fuel rails and 8 injectors. We max out my walbro 255 pump on the car stock wiring at 367whp. It was leaning out on top end no matter what we did and the higher the rpm the leaner it went. We could only rev to about 6,500rpm to be safe but anything after that it leaned out bad. So we pulled the cav off the dyno and I drove it home and parked it until I got the harness and put it on. Doing the harness is easier and cheaper than doing a inline pump anyway. It dropped my air/fuel from 11.80 to 10.15 and the top end from 12.99 to 11.06. It ran 11.06 all the way to 7,200rpm so I parked it again and it goes to the dyno for fuel tuning this Tuesday 7-21-09 at 9am.
Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:22 AM
My fuel pump seems like it's starting to let go, so I'm looking at replacing it with an aftermarket since my future build could probably use it.

Here's my question, has anyone done this on an 03+ yet? I'm guessing the fuel pumps are pretty similar from 95+, but I wanna check before I commit to something. Thanks guys!
Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:02 PM
This was done on a 2004 so you should have no problems with this How to. The only uncertainty was the 95-99 with the metal gas tanks, the fuel senders are aparently different.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 10:40 PM
Awesome. Thanks Tom for posting this up!
Friday, August 07, 2009 5:02 AM
My 99 pump is different from all other 96-99 I have ever seen.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, August 09, 2009 7:30 PM
I just got done doing this to my 03.

Only thing i did differently is not notch out the pump housing because the racetronix barly fit into the plastic pump holder even after i dremeled out the ridges i still had to use a vice to press it into place.. IMO its not going anywhere.

another thing when your doing this make sure you put the rubber O-ring back onto the tank before you put the pump back into place.. it makes filling your tank so much easier..

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:28 AM
did anyone else get a square strainer vs a rectangular one?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:24 PM
^ mine was rectangular. Almost exactly same size as stock.

Thanks for this write up Tom. I wouldn't have had the patience to do as much detail!
Your pictures make my install much easier today.

The upgrade harness does work fantastically, and is super easy to wire in. No cutting, or spicing at all.

I VOTE STICKY
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:08 PM
I just opened mine today during my lunch, and it was square, too.
Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:12 AM
I bought mine last December. That could be why they are different?

Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:45 AM
Mine is rectangular.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:06 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:My 99 pump is different from all other 96-99 I have ever seen.

Do you have a late year '99 or an early one? The late year 99s are something of a 99-00 hybrid. The fuel injectors and the starter are different; it would not surprise me to find that the fuel pump is as well..

just postulating

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:01 PM
Raptor wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:My 99 pump is different from all other 96-99 I have ever seen.

Do you have a late year '99 or an early one? The late year 99s are something of a 99-00 hybrid. The fuel injectors and the starter are different; it would not surprise me to find that the fuel pump is as well..

just postulating

What do you mean the injectors and starter are different? Different from 96-98? yes they are 2000+ plus, in jectors and starter started in 99.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:32 PM
Quote:

Different from 96-98?

Yes. From what I recall however, this is not the case for all 99s. The production year is split - a certain percentage have the 96-98 style, the others have 00+ style.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, August 31, 2009 7:27 PM
does anyone know where racetronix is located in canada?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:24 PM
anyone have start up issues? i have to crank mine 3x before it starts.

my carDomain updated 8/10/09 Forged and no boost

Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:57 PM
Nope, mine starts on first crank, may not be a fuel issue.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:42 PM
Turn the key on and let the pump prime. Then try to start it. Usually after market fuel pumps do not have the valve in it like the stock pump. So all the fuel thats in the pump and in the line just runs back in the cup/tank..
Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:15 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:anyone have start up issues? i have to crank mine 3x before it starts.

I prime the pump for a wile then it useually starts right up. (as in key on ignition off until most of the lights on the dash shut off and i cant hear the pump working) if i dont prime it takes a bit to start.

Also if you dont tighten down the clear plastic non-kink hose super good tight from the pump to the pump housing it might leak and lose pressure and take longer to start. (i had that happen to me and it slowly got worse and loosened to the point to where i thought the pump was bad and the car wouldn't even run)

Monday, September 14, 2009 11:58 AM
I remember going to this fuel pump a few years ago. :-p

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Monday, September 14, 2009 3:08 PM
SS-J wrote:
s1lver_N1p wrote:anyone have start up issues? i have to crank mine 3x before it starts.

I prime the pump for a wile then it useually starts right up. (as in key on ignition off until most of the lights on the dash shut off and i cant hear the pump working) if i dont prime it takes a bit to start.

Also if you dont tighten down the clear plastic non-kink hose super good tight from the pump to the pump housing it might leak and lose pressure and take longer to start. (i had that happen to me and it slowly got worse and loosened to the point to where i thought the pump was bad and the car wouldn't even run)

285whpcavy wrote:Turn the key on and let the pump prime. Then try to start it. Usually after market fuel pumps do not have the valve in it like the stock pump. So all the fuel thats in the pump and in the line just runs back in the cup/tank..

well can't edit my post. i turn key on, hear pump turn off, then i try starting it. 3rd time is a charm. figure it was battery or starter?

my carDomain updated 8/10/09 Forged and no boost

Thursday, October 01, 2009 9:07 AM
I've gone through a few different fuel setups and haven't been (completely) happy with any of them. I just ordered the Racetronix pump yesterday and should be doing the install next week. Weather permitting, I'll take the car for a few blasts around town and let everyone know how she does!

OP:

Why did you remove the level sensor wires from the plug? Just so it wouldn't be in the way or something?

Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:02 PM
Qwibby {T3H Old QBE} wrote:does anyone know where racetronix is located in canada?

i was wondering the same thing i thought they were US buecause there US prices but i just got mine and it was shipped from Markham Ontario, for those that don't know its Toronto Area

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:42 PM
Bringing this post back up. And for some reason the car starts up without having to prime the fuel system now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search