How To: Racetronix Fuel pump install - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Racetronix Fuel pump install
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:07 PM
Well I am going to be ordering my pump shortly and just wanted to see if I had things straight in my head. I am planning on running 300whp (or maybe a little more) and just wanted to get things straight in my head. If the harness isn't really required I'll probably let it be for now, but if someone thinks I should definately get the harness for some reason than I may do that.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:29 PM
If you are going to stay at 300whp and never retune for more power then don't get it.. But if you plan on running more power later on then buy it now... Just buy it anyway because we all know you will want more power later on...
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:46 PM
Get it right now.... its worth the price. it makes the pump run better and deliver fuel better. and you only have to pay for shipping and customs once. trust me, get it right off the bat and dont screw around. do it right.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:36 PM
I just installed mine yesterday, took an hour. It took that long cause I had to drop the tank by myself.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:08 PM
good to know...harness it is

Friday, April 02, 2010 5:06 PM
I just did this to my son's car but I also added a check valve at the Fuel filter. It makes it start just as did with the factory pump
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2010-04-02\033.JPG
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2010-04-02\034.JPG
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2010-04-02\035.JPG
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2010-04-02\036.JPG
Friday, April 02, 2010 5:19 PM

Friday, April 02, 2010 7:09 PM
^^ I'm not understanding the use of the check valve back there?

306 TQ
Friday, April 02, 2010 7:52 PM
assuming its because some people have problems starting the car right off the bat because the fuel drains back into the tank. i have not had this problem. but thats the only thing i could gather from it.

Friday, April 02, 2010 8:02 PM
Yes its to make starting the car a little easier , for me it wasn't a bid deal but for my son it was
Saturday, April 03, 2010 6:21 AM
Gotcha, never really thought about that.

306 TQ

Saturday, April 03, 2010 1:58 PM
Interesting idea on the check valve. I drive a second car so sometimes the Cavalier will sit 3 or 4 days before being driven and starts a little harder and idles like a turd for a few seconds.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:04 AM
its simple, if you turn the key, by the time you have your seat belt on, or the radio on, the car is primed.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:11 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:its simple, if you turn the key, by the time you have your seat belt on, or the radio on, the car is primed.

DING DING DING.... open door, sit, turn key to on, buckle up, roll down window, start car. works like a charm everytime.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:42 PM
That check valve is a smart idea! Not necessary but a convienence. I just turn the key to on until the fuel pump "hum" goes away then I crank it. Still takes slightly longer than stock, but not crazy long.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:07 PM
Yea I always prime the car first before starting anyway. I think its a must for a turbo car imo.

306 TQ
Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:50 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:its simple, if you turn the key, by the time you have your seat belt on, or the radio on, the car is primed.

I always do. The pump doesn't prime until a set pressure is reached, but stops after a few seconds if the car isn't being cranked or already running. In other words, it's not so simple. Fuel pump should already has a check valve, otherwise why would need to pull the relay and crank the motor to relieve fuel pressure? Now if a car bleeds off pressure and sits for a half a week like mine does then that three second pump prime isn't enough. Now for me the inline check valve as posted by John would come in handy. Otherwise I've got three options: (1) Let the car idle rough for a few seconds (2) Prime the pump multiple times or (3) Replace the pump.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:24 PM
ohvrolla wrote:

I always do. The pump doesn't prime until a set pressure is reached, but stops after a few seconds if the car isn't being cranked or already running. In other words, it's not so simple. Fuel pump should already has a check valve, otherwise why would need to pull the relay and crank the motor to relieve fuel pressure? Now if a car bleeds off pressure and sits for a half a week like mine does then that three second pump prime isn't enough. Now for me the inline check valve as posted by John would come in handy. Otherwise I've got three options: (1) Let the car idle rough for a few seconds (2) Prime the pump multiple times or (3) Replace the pump.

the stock pump has a check valve, when you replace it with the racetronix, you lose the check valve. i usually wait for my wideband to warm up first but even if i dont i have never had a problem with just turning the key and going.

you pull the relay when you have the stock pump to relieve pressure.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:38 PM
Ya but having the check valve will also help with the -40 winter start ups
Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:44 PM
yeah i dont drive my car in the winter or cold. guess im lucky.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 5:06 PM
I live in AZ so I dont know what this "winter" and "cold" you are referring too...only melting crazy hot!

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Saturday, April 03, 2010 5:30 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
ohvrolla wrote:

the stock pump has a check valve, when you replace it with the racetronix, you lose the check valve. i usually wait for my wideband to warm up first but even if i dont i have never had a problem with just turning the key and going.

you pull the relay when you have the stock pump to relieve pressure.

I have a stock pump with a questionable check valve. If I prime it a couple times after it's been sitting a while it does better. My other two cars will fire right up no matter how long they've been sitting.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:57 PM
I do not think stock pump has a check valve.

My car now with the racetronix can sit for a week and if I prime it the one time and start ti starts fine.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 05, 2010 5:25 PM
i got a problem with my racetronix install heres pics
Different housing?

any ideas?

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 3:49 PM
I might need to get this pump and would also like to know how to fix the issue of different housing! I read before someone had to pop a clip off the plastic housing in order for it to fit right in the tank??

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search