Round 2: External 6+1 Crank Trigger Wheels, Ecotecs and Quads - Page 7 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Round 2: External 6+1 Crank Trigger Wheels, Ecotecs and Quads
Sunday, June 02, 2013 3:49 PM
Looking For an external crank trigger for my ecotec.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 6:37 PM
I may also be in the market very soon, waiting to hear back on a motor Im trying to get.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:17 PM
If we get enough interest I know eviloution is possibly onto an idea.
Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:52 PM
have you still ecotec crank trigger wheel for sale?

I already have one for my corolla with cavy electronics but, mine is too heavy and not practical!

thanks

My dad told me, cause your engine is so little you just have hamster power(hp)
Sunfire GT ecotec turbo (construction)
Sunfire SE 1997(Dead): 14.9 @ 91 mph
Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:13 AM
Hi - I would definitely like one of these external crank 6+1 trigger wheels for a 2.2 ecotec TODAY... lol.. seriously! Asap would be ok too.. anyone have one? Please let me know.

Dave
call or text 9five1.. five too 9 threee ate too five
THANKS!
Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:50 AM
So, I've gotten the 2002 Saturn Vue running well with the 2008 crate motor which would normally go into a Chevy Cobalt. The crank sensor and trigger wheel was the main hurdle (detailed below, #6). Several other swaps from old 2002 motor to the new motor were needed.

Starting from the beginning, the 2008 motor slipped right in to the 2002 Vue, with no modifications to motor mounts or anything like that. New clutch (manual transmission) installed, no problems or changes needed. The new motor did not come with a brain, so I had to use the 2002 brain and wiring harness with this 2008 motor. this introduced some issues, as some of the parts have changed (like the MAP sensor, the throttle body, fuel rail, fuel injectors, and crank sensor / trigger wheel assembly). Some connectors were different on the 2008 would not fit with the 2002 harness... I will explain how I addressed these differences below

The parts that I needed to swap over to the new motor from the old:

1. Throttle body - the connectors were different on the 08, so I went with the old one

2. Injectors - the injector bodies were different than the 2002 injector bodies, but fit in the manifold, so my initial desire was to use the new injectors(the old ones were... old after all), the terminals were different, so I soldered the new connectors into the old harness. I ended up having to remove these injectors, and put the 02's back in, rewiring the old terminals back into the harness... so much for the new injector idea - the 02 brain just did not seem to play well with the 08 injectors.

3. MAP sensor... different sensor, different connector, different hole in the intake manifold. I tried using the new sensor that came with the new motor by splicing old connector into the harness, color to color, but ended up putting the old MAP sensor in the new motor - as with the injectors, I don't think the old brain knew how to handle this new MAP sensor signal. Since the MAP sensor hole in the 08 intake manifold was larger than the hole in the 2002 intake manifold, I needed to modify the old sensor to fit the new, larger hole. I simply slipped 4 suitably sized o-rings onto the existing rubber grommet on the mounting spur of the sensor, so it now fit snugly into the hole. Now how do I keep it from popping out? The 2008 sensor uses a bolt to hold the sensor in, where the 2002 sensor was held in with a twist of the sensor... which wasn't going to work in the new manifold. I simply used the 08 sensor bolt with a short section of vacuum hose as a spacer (10 or 15 small washers would also have worked), and a large fender washer next to the bolt head which pressed down on the top of the sensor when the bolt was tightened. I used Loctite on the threads of this bolt to prevent the assembly from coming out.

4. Fuel rail... I used the old fuel rail with the new motor because the new rail was different.

5. Coil assembly/plug "wires". The 2008 motor came with 4 individual coils... one for each cylinder, while the old motor uses a 2 coil system. Since the harness was already setup to utilize the two coils system, that seemed like the way to go. Making the old coilpack fit on top of the new motor was not very hard, and just a few adjustments had to be done with the bolts. No biggie

6. Crank sensor / trigger. This IS a biggie. The 2008 motor comes with a 58 tooth reluctor on the crankshaft, and a hall crank sensor... not at all compatible with the 2002 wiring harness and brain, since the 2002 motor uses a 7 notch crank reluctor and a magnetic pickup sensor. I bought an aftermarket crank trigger wheel, which mounts on the crankshaft pulley. The 7th notch is the "pulse notch" which apparently tell the brain where your crankshaft is in its rotation. That 'extra' notch should be to the LEFT of the 2nd notch right next to it when looking at the wheel on the motor. If this pulse notch is sitting to the right of the regular notch, your wheel is on BACKWARDS - I made this mistake initially. I made a simple L bracket to hold the crank sensor, and after reading through some Saturn forum threads, I set the wheel to have the pulse notch pass under the sensor 70 degrees after the engine (#1 cylinder) passed top dead center. When I tried to start the motor using this 70 degree spacing, the motor barely ran, giving the classic signs of "wrong timing". After a couple days of this wrangling with differing degree spacings (and having the wheel on backwards), I decided to un-seize my old 2.2 motor so I could spin the crank and look through the crankshaft sensor hole myself to see exactly what the spacing of the sensor should be. After taking off the old head and freeing up all the eaten valves and piston parts from the destroyed motor, it spun by hand - yay! First I turned the motor to TDC for #1 cylinder. This is easy, because the crank pulley has a single timing notch on it which corresponds to a line on the block when number one cylinder is at top dead center. Quick look into the sensor hole shows there are no notches under the hole at TDC. Now, using a 6 inch circular protractor, I spun the crank clockwise until the 'extra' notch was centered directly under the crank sensor hole. This is the point after TDC where the brain wants to get it's signal from that extra notch. Going back to the pulley, and measuring carefully with the protractor, I found that the pulley had moved 57 degrees past the TDC line. So that's it - the pulse notch (extra notch) is supposed to pass under the sensor at 57 degrees after top dead center. I went back to my Saturn, and changed the trigger wheel so that the pulse notch passed under the center of the sensor at 57 degrees ATDC. The motor started right up and ran smoothly. I did my 50 mile motor break-in drive shortly thereafter, and had no problems throughout the entire 50 mile drive. I changed the oil, then did some diddling with the sensor distance from the trigger wheel, and found that (with the motor running), the brain didn't really care much how far away the magnet on the sensor was from the wheel... works the same from 1/16 to 1/2 inch away - it does seem to care if you get it too close to the pulley though, with it's 3 protruding steel 'spokes', so on top of the 3 'spacer' washers I used between the pulley and the wheel, I angled the sensor away from the pulley perhaps 10 degrees - it looks a little funny not being exactly centered over the trigger wheel, but it runs right.

This first pic is from when I had the wheel on backwards, but is representative of the setup. The second pic is my l bracket (made very secure with loctite) - the third pic is of someone else's setup, clearly showing the 'extra' notch to the left of the 'regular' notch, as it should be.

Hope this helps anyone who plans on putting a newer 2.2 ecotec motor into an older Saturn or Chevy - it's been an adventure
Attachments
wheel 3.jpg (186k)
trigger wheel.jpg (423k)
IMAG1329.jpg (949k)

Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:53 AM
sorry - it didn't add the pics in the order I stated - the first pic is someone else's very nice setup, showing the extra notch to the left of the regular notch. The other two pics are mine...
Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:00 AM
Haahaaaa... too many pics of trigger wheels on my computer now.. my picture selector is so small, I selected the wrong one - my apologies. This is my wheel - again, on BACKWARDS in this pic! Don't do this!
Attachments
reduced.jpg (278k)

Monday, March 03, 2014 8:11 PM
is there any of these trigger wheels available I need on asap! please send me a private message thanks
Jarrod
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 6:20 AM
Guys,

Is anybody still selling these ? or have one for sale.

Let me know,

Thanks

2004 Ecotec, Completley Stock...For Now
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:42 PM
Found the new group buy on the ecotec forum

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?18733-FEELER-Ecotec-Crank-trigger-wheel-GP

Friday, March 07, 2014 11:59 AM
Guys,

A list is being compiled now for interest so we can get this round going.

If you are interested and are a member of the ecotecforums, please go put your name on the list:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?18733-FEELER-Ecotec-Crank-trigger

If you don't want to go there, just mention it here and I will let the original poster know

I really want this to happen, running an lsj block in a cavy sounds great, even a 2.4 bottom end !

lets do this.

Friday, March 07, 2014 1:29 PM
Hello. I am taking orders for these. I sell the trigger wheel (6 +1) bolted to the crank pulley ready to install. My cost is $100 plus $15 shipping, that price includes the machining of the surface of the crank pulley so its %100% assembled ready to bolt on, and there is a $50 core charge. The core charge is refundable after I get your crank pulley back. Feel free to call me @ 800-292-2607. my names jess. I am with southwest auto recycling in southern Utah. I run a salvage yard and just did one of these motor swaps. My machinest did an awesome job of cutting out the wheel and bolting it onto the crank pulley. I can send you pics of mine on the car if youd like to see what we have done.
Friday, March 07, 2014 5:33 PM
Will this fit the Quad 2.4?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, March 10, 2014 4:09 PM
Hey guys I have a complete le5 2.4 bottom with a l61 2.2 head fresh out the machine gasket The block had just shy Of 2k when oil pump gave out. The motor is still complete has ARP head bolts ,MLS head gasket and the 6+1 trigger wheel set up with cps bracket and cps. Have compleste turbo setup with obx downpipe for the lk9 turbo .The orginal head for le5 is avaiable also and only has 1800 miles ....email at Rgoris87@gmail.com with needs and offers. I'm located in Rhode island
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:47 AM
were can i buy this trigger wheel and sensor ? need asap!!!
Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:51 PM
I have one unused from the original group purchase, email me if interested.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Wednesday, November 05, 2014 11:35 AM
I don't know how old this post is. If your still selling the crankshaft trigger wheel. That's a 6-1 for the 2.2 ecotec's I'll will take one. Thanks.
Friday, April 03, 2015 10:59 PM
Are these still available? I may need one depending on if the crank is good in the lsj long block i'm buying next week.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED TO TUNE MY CAR?
Saturday, April 04, 2015 7:54 AM
I've got one that I bought from the first buy. My cavalier is probably like a refrigerator or a dishwasher by now. So this things been taking up space for a while. I completely forgot I had it till I found it on my dresser a few months ago.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, November 28, 2016 11:19 AM
Update on these crank trigger wheels. Never got past the prototype stage. Initial one did not quite work correctly and after too much trial and error, scrapped the project.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:02 AM
I know this is an old thread,but I am looking for a 6-1 or 7x trigger wheel for my LE61 swap. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I can buy one,please let me know. Thanks. Mark 7zero3 801-8615
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:34 AM
Mark Frantz wrote:I know this is an old thread,but I am looking for a 6-1 or 7x trigger wheel for my LE61 swap. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I can buy one,please let me know. Thanks. Mark 7zero3 801-8615

Mine from the first group buy is still in the plastic and I haven't had a GM product in like 4 years.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:58 AM
Mine from the first group buy is still in the plastic and I haven't had a GM product in like 4 years.

Who made yours? Is it the style that bolts to the crank pulley with three bolts? Do you have any pics of it you can send to my cell phone? Thanks. Mark 7zero3 801-8615
Friday, July 28, 2017 3:25 PM
Mark Frantz wrote:Mine from the first group buy is still in the plastic and I haven't had a GM product in like 4 years.

Who made yours? Is it the style that bolts to the crank pulley with three bolts? Do you have any pics of it you can send to my cell phone? Thanks. Mark 7zero3 801-8615

Its the single bolt style like the beginning of this thread.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search