Alright I'm stumped. Any ideas? - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Alright I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Monday, October 07, 2013 7:54 AM
I raced my brothers '00 2200 with 3speed when mine just had an exhaust on it and my '02 is 5speed. it was faster with 5speed, but this was only to like 50, idk how fast you're going on your track though. I imagine a manual would be better no matter what - less parasitic loss.

Im happy that you got it running correctly though!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:13 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking too. Guess I'll pull the motor, and set it on the engine stand until i get the other car ready.

Just to make sure though, are the cams the same from the 2.2 and 2200? That's the only thing I haven't changed yet. It still has the cam from the 2200 in it.
Monday, October 07, 2013 12:01 PM
Just found this in the 2.2 Growing Pains write up.

1994-‘95: The "enhanced" engine came with a hollow roller cam that had pressed-on lobes.

1996-‘97: The 1996 engine was equipped with sequential fuel injection, so it had a notched ring for the cam position sensor located behind the #3 journal.

The specifications stayed the same, so it can be used to replace the 10184912 that came in the 1994-‘95 engines, but the 10184912 can’t be used in the 1996 and ‘97 engines because it doesn’t have the notched ring for the cam position sensor.

1998-‘99: The cam specs were changed substantially in 1998 "to improve midrange torque when combined with the new head and intake manifold," so this cam can’t be interchanged with any other roller cam. It’s p/n 24574779 that has the notched ring behind the third journal and "4779" imprinted on the barrel behind the second lobe.

So it states that the came WAS changed, but said it was changed to improve the midrange. However, since I'm running a 95 computer/harness, this could have a negative affect on my performance? Should I stick a 95-97 cam in it, because with the 95 computer I dont need the cam sensor.
Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:25 AM
Did some looking around and found the lift on both intake and exhaust on the 95-97 cams are .025" taller than on the 98+ cams.

Is .025" going to make that noticeable of a difference, is it going to be worth pulling the motor back out to change them? Or should I be fine with what I have?
Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:27 AM
I think I looked into that cam swap a long time ago and found out that it physically won't work, but I don't remember.

I would honeslty work with comp to get a regrind for your motor. I paid $200? For mine. Worth it I think.

If you're planning on going all out that's what I would do anyway. At least then you know you're getting a cam that will work best for the racing you're doing. Swapping to a different stock cam can be a gamble if it fits, and a pain to take back out if it doesn't do what you want. (That said I could probably pull my motor out and strip the cam in under an hour at this point doing it alone lol).

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:56 AM
Well at least you let me know now before I tore it down. Tearing it down doesn't take long, like you said I've done it enough to where I can do it pretty quick alone. But I'm not real big on doing stuff for nothing lol.

I'm going to be pulling the motor out this week anyways. Found a 5 speed car to trade for my automatic, so I'm pulling the motor out and getting the other car to set it in.
Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:14 AM
I could be wrong about the cam swap, but I remember there was a reason I didn't do it. Just not sure what the reason was.

Loving the 5speed swap! You should run it as a street car for video purposes before you make it into the race car!

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 12:27 PM
Ehh just a little too late for that. Its already a racecar, just getting it from a buddy. He wrecked it this weekend, needs a control arm, rear axle, and possibly a transmission. He doesn't have the parts to fix it, so he's getting rid of it. The body aint much, but it's only going to run 2-3 races to finish the year out, then be a backup for next year.

The last race of the year is always a huge race with big turnouts, a 2-day show. Unfortunately that also means ALOT of torn up cars. So I'm not concerned with the body on this one. As long as i get my motor in it and it will drive, I'll be satisfied. We'll hang some new skins on this winter. Only got 1 car to build, 1 to freshen.

Maybe I can get the in-car camera set up on this one for a race or too and upload some videos. I'll definitely keep y'all updated as the winter goes on, hopefully start a "build" thread for the car I'm building for next year? We'll see.

Feel free to keep suggestions coming! Any ideas are welcome.

I'm still looking for someone relatively close to me that might be able to help with working on the computers for me. Just a little less than an arm and a leg, and we'll definitely hook you up with some decals and a spot on the car!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search