Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:38 PM
I thought of IRS. not scared of the fabrication or alignments. It boiled down to $. This diff setup costed me $800. An IRS from a recent SUV go for about $1800 to $2500 with width reduction required. This would add another $800. Throw in some brake refurbishments $300 - $400. I even considered converting the 10 bolt to an IRS set-up. mount the disks inboard (JAG style). Use FWD alluminum spindles from the Impala. Custome short driveshafts. This was looking close to $3200. Keep in mind this would be about 150lbs heavier (infastructure included). Adding the extra weight didn't appeal to me very much as well. If some interesting IRS option came my way, I would most definately consider upgrading over a winter.
Hope this helps with the IRS subject.

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:52 AM
An IRS from a C4 wouldn't have been that expensive, and you would have had options for the front from any number of vehicles that match the bolt pattern (5x4.75"), including the C4.

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:16 PM
I did look around at the time. Classifieds and local wrecking yards didn't have much to offer - especially no C4's. Either the unit would not handle the HP, too expensive or even too heavy. The C4 comes in at 280 ish. My 10 bold complete with brakes and oil came in at 211. Please keep in mind, my goal was to keep the car's curb weight under 2500lbs. All this being said, I love the idea and look of IRS. I have been reading the Sticky in IRS. I have lots of ideas and will continue to entertain the idea of an IRS set up. If I'm going to have to shorten another IRS, I would rather do something unique.

You still have your 95' ? If so would like to see some pics - What did you do for your IRS setup?

Mikeyg

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:47 PM
Sweet,
another V8 cav project!
Now I don't feel so lonely
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:27 AM
Cool,
Quite interested. Where can I go to see pics of your build ?
MikeyG

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:59 AM
Mikey G wrote:You still have your 95' ? If so would like to see some pics - What did you do for your IRS setup?
I still have it, and it's still under construction. I'm actually just about to paint the engine bay, door jams, and trunk, but I have a couple of small tweaks to do before I do.

The IRS is currently a modified N-body (like the sticky) that uses hubs from an 05 Malibu, but I'm taking it another step further (what else is new? LOL). I don't have any good pictures of it. I'm horrible at remembering to take progress shots. When I'm working on things, I just get completely immersed in the project, and never remember to stop and snap pics. I need to get a cheap digital camera just to leave in the garage for this purpose. Something that I don't care if it gets greasy and filthy. Haha.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:49 AM
Mikey G wrote:Cool,
Quite interested. Where can I go to see pics of your build ?
MikeyG

The first generation section here on JBO haha

You got a nice build too
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:17 AM
Quote:

Quick X wrote:

I still have it, and it's still under construction. I'm actually just about to paint the engine bay, door jams, and trunk, but I have a couple of small tweaks to do before I do.

Did you do some kind of restoration? or like me, so many changes it was worth to strip to the bare shell..

That IRS Sticky has got the little mousy running pretty fast. When I was at the recycling yard picking up a couple of axles to fix my front wheel bearing issue, I wondered if I was to combine some parts fron the N Body and get a couple of drive spindles like I have up front (W Body). Cut the axle tubes off of my 10 Bolt, get some C-Clip eliminator bearings, shorten my existing axles. I think if I can find some HD FWD axles that don't require shortening, I could do something reasonalbly priced...... Dammit, it's appening again...

Yes, the garage. I can go in there in the morning, then hear the knock on the door from my wife after supper asking if I'm hungary. Realizing I need to pee real bad. Love it man.

MikeyG

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:22 AM
LOL. You could call it a restoration, but yes, I stripped it bare. I'm doing lots of mods to it, but the original reason to strip it was because I'm doing a color change, and I want to do it right, plus I want the paint to last. I won't sell this car any time in the near future, and I don't plan on having to do any patchwork later because I didn't do the proper paint prep.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:53 AM
So no pics at all yet? Sounds pretty interesting. Does the car feel nose heavy with the V6?

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:34 AM
No. I actually didn't notice the difference. However, that's with a stiffer, lowered suspension. Stock would probably be a little noticeable.

I have some pics floating around somewhere of the engine wiring taking place, a short video of it running in the car, but I really haven't taken many progress pics. I think the last one I took was when I completely gutted the engine bay for paint. I don't evern think I updated it after stripping and sanding it.

EDIT: I found a few pics from a couple of very old threads. I didn't even realize how long it's been, but the last pic of the car I took was before I even finished getting everything out of the engine bay.

and a teaser of the color:

The engine bay ended up being blasted and POR 15'd, but that's as far as I've gotten so far. Many many things in my life have caused my car to be put on the back burner. I will finish it eventually, but it's a very slow project.

Keep up the posts on yours. I like seeing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 05, 2013 10:46 AM

Monday, August 05, 2013 5:08 PM
Wow. Purple Power. Your Starburst metalic gold / orange looks super. Gona be a show stopper.

I'm really looking forward to weighing my car. I dread it being nose heavy.

Car went off to the paint shop today. Due to return next Tuesday. This is a serious milestone for me. I will also be there helping, so plenty of pics to come.

Thanks to all for the front hub warning. disaster diverted.

Monday, August 05, 2013 6:29 PM
Love this project man, you do great work.
What I would love to see even more is for someone to do this with fuel injection. Everyone that does it uses a carbed engine. Something like this with the tuneability that comes with EFI would be tits.
That being said, I'm on the side of my chair waiting for updates on this car.

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:11 PM
Thanks Darren, well appreciated.

I did carbed mainly because of the $. The long block alone was close to $7000. I have a complete GM TPI that came with the engine when I bought it. I would have needed to get a management kit for it. ($2500). Later found out it will never make more than 425 hp. (??). With all the other debugging I'll need to do, the carb was an easy choice. Dyno results were not too shabby either. That cheap Summit carb impressed me good. This will do for now. I do have my eye on the MSD Atomic kit. Buddy of mine has one and was a snap to install. Enter your parameters and 10 min later we were driving. It learns as you drive. Has 3 modes to choose from - econo, mild & race.

If $ wasn't an issue, an aluminum, fuel injected, turbo'd, LS engine would be my first choice. Would definitely never get traction though
LOL

I expect to get a couple of quick spins around the block this fall. If there are any obvious bugs, I will have the winter to incorporate them while completing the car.

MikeyG

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:17 AM
Mikey G wrote:Wow. Purple Power. Your Starburst metalic gold / orange looks super.

First thing that popped into my head.

Mikey G wrote:I'm really looking forward to weighing my car. I dread it being nose heavy.

Car went off to the paint shop today. Due to return next Tuesday. This is a serious milestone for me. I will also be there helping, so plenty of pics to come.

Thanks to all for the front hub warning. disaster diverted.
Looking forward to the paint progress pix!

Good job on the axle stubs. Nice and clean.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:46 PM
Quote:

Good job on the axle stubs. Nice and clean.

Thanks, I can a bit obsessive sometimes.

Spent the day at the paint shop. Getting a whole new appreciation for body shop workers. 42 dents and waves. Some big and some small. Most were on the shell. - major thing to swap out.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:36 PM
The sheet metal on these cars is like pop cans. Soooo easy to dent and ding.

Looks like youre making some great progress!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:15 AM
Hello All,
After fixing the many, many, many body issues. We finally got it all primered. Today will be final sanding with 400, then paint on Wed. Glass on Thursday. Should be home before the weekend.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:23 AM
Nice!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:25 AM
Looking good. Once you lay the color, post bigger pics!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:15 AM
Thanks Guys,
Paint is today. Glass is Thursday, pick-up on Friday. Pics to follow.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:55 AM
omg definitely looking forward to seeing color on this beast. LOVE that you did it right and removed everything. most people that paint our cars keep the glass in. such a shame.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:31 AM

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:44 AM
Mike - I just went back and watched your startup video again - the wheels you have mounted in that vid . . is that a teaser of what the wheels are going to be?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:20 AM
Hey Tony,
Thanks for the help with the oversized photos.

The wheels indicated in the video and previous photos are the ones I will be using. They are 18" from a Nissan Maxima. There were free. Free is just fine for now. The wheels fit just the way I want them to. My ultimate choice (that would fit), would be 18" Impala SS. The Nissan rims will be painted Gun Metal with machined highlights. The Nissan logo centers will be replaced with red on charcoal carbon fiber Chevy 3D vinyl logos. I didn't have much luck finding Z24 logos in 3D Vinyl for the wheel centers. If anyone has some - let me know..
More picks to come when it is out in the sun...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search