F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance? - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Friday, July 15, 2011 9:48 AM
i got to get around to doing this, my tranny has that damn rattle, makes driving through town annoying, ill have to pick up some b&m stuff next time i go in town




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:24 PM
Royal Purple is now what I am going with... Next weekend. I have a week to get it in. Synchromesh or Max ATF by RP??


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:15 PM
I use 3 qts of Synchromesh... mine seems quiet and engages well...

i also get GM Employee discount, so i spend about 11 bucks a quart

When i put the Quaife in, i'm thinking of switching to the GM Synchromesh with limited slip


Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:16 PM


Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:41 PM
Running 2 quarts of Amsoil ATF. May add another .5 quart since it's still a little noisey.

I ran synchromesh for over 3 years and still had the "rattle". Never bothered me much.





BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Monday, September 19, 2011 8:39 AM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:

I use 3 qts of Synchromesh... mine seems quiet and engages well...

i also get GM Employee discount, so i spend about 11 bucks a quart

When i put the Quaife in, i'm thinking of switching to the GM Synchromesh with limited slip


I've been running Mobil 1 ATF in my F23 that has a Quaife diff with no LSD additive.

I bought my trans of Jon (Airtronics) and I believe Todd Miller told him to just run ATF with no additive (he was using Valvoline ATF IIRC).

Since it doesn't have clutch packs in the diff I don't think the LSD friction additive is nessacary, the Cobalt SS F35 with the factory equipped Quaife's run GM's fancy trans fluid or 75w-90, doesn't call for additive.

I have probably close to 30k since I put the trans in and have had no issues to report with my straight Mobil 1 ATF.

Figured I'd just give ya the heads up.






Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Monday, September 19, 2011 4:32 PM
sweet deal... No fancy LSD Synchromesh needed... =)



Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Monday, September 19, 2011 6:49 PM
And the cobalts dont need friction modifiers for the diff because the diff is sealed in its own fluid.


1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:10 AM
I use b&m trick shift non synthetic in mine... Been worth it....



Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:30 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:

And the cobalts dont need friction modifiers for the diff because the diff is sealed in its own fluid.


Proof? I've never heard this.

Its a stock Saab F35 trans, the G85 optioned ones had the stock diff pulled out and a Quaife diff put in.

People swap them out all the time, I've never heard of the diff being sealed.

If you look at the diff itself its not 100% sealed, there are holes in the outer casing.





Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:29 AM
It said it in some sticky on css net. So accuracy isnt always likely.


1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:39 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:

Running 2 quarts of Amsoil ATF. May add another .5 quart since it's still a little noisey.

I ran synchromesh for over 3 years and still had the "rattle". Never bothered me much.

I filled per the TSB, and it is a lot quieter in the HHR, and easier in the cold weather.

It should be getting cold soon, so I'll see if it is still true.





PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:54 PM
Finally, go it done. I wanted to put in B&M Quick Shift but could only find one size sold and the amount and price was too much. I think $ 60. Anyway, decided to go with Royal Purple, MAX ATF. Put in 1.9 quarts. The shifting was noticeably smoother. $ 15 a quart and so far I'm glad I used RP.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:45 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

Finally, go it done. I wanted to put in B&M Quick Shift but could only find one size sold and the amount and price was too much. I think $ 60. Anyway, decided to go with Royal Purple, MAX ATF. Put in 1.9 quarts. The shifting was noticeably smoother. $ 15 a quart and so far I'm glad I used RP.


I'm using the RP syn and love it.

As for B&M, it should be in the quart size and about the same price.

Still RP I like over the B&M.



FU Tuning



Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Saturday, October 01, 2011 7:28 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

Finally, go it done. I wanted to put in B&M Quick Shift but could only find one size sold and the amount and price was too much. I think $ 60. Anyway, decided to go with Royal Purple, MAX ATF. Put in 1.9 quarts. The shifting was noticeably smoother. $ 15 a quart and so far I'm glad I used RP.


I'm using the RP syn and love it.


ME TOO!


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:13 AM
Its been 4 years and now I need to change the tranny fluid again due to some mods. I just wanna make sure this is still the same RP I used last time lol.

The guys that are using the RP MAX ATF, is the link below the same stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Performance-Multi-Spec-Transmission/dp/B000BQ78H6





"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:37 AM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

Its been 4 years and now I need to change the tranny fluid again due to some mods. I just wanna make sure this is still the same RP I used last time lol.

The guys that are using the RP MAX ATF, is the link below the same stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Performance-Multi-Spec-Transmission/dp/B000BQ78H6


Thats exactly what I have been using for years now.



FU Tuning



Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:45 AM
I appreciate it man!


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:44 PM
Just for anyone else who may read this...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT PUT ATF IN THE F23!!!

Trust me one this one. I've frag'd the synchros in 4 trannys with ATF. Switched over to synchromesh and never lost another synchro. The getreg has weak synchros already and the ATF doesn't provide any shock loading like gear oil does..

Is it a bit more difficult to shift when cold...yes, but we are men and we can deal with it for 5 miles until the fluid warms up a wee bit.

Rant off

I happen to like the redline MTL. Very nice shifts


2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:12 AM
Wes Gardner wrote:

Just for anyone else who may read this...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT PUT ATF IN THE F23!!!

Trust me one this one. I've frag'd the synchros in 4 trannys with ATF. Switched over to synchromesh and never lost another synchro. The getreg has weak synchros already and the ATF doesn't provide any shock loading like gear oil does..

Is it a bit more difficult to shift when cold...yes, but we are men and we can deal with it for 5 miles until the fluid warms up a wee bit.

Rant off

I happen to like the redline MTL. Very nice shifts


ATF is the required fluid for the getrag F23.

F23 isn't that weak. wow people.



FU Tuning



Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Monday, January 04, 2016 9:59 AM
Apparently the owners manual should specify what type of transmission fluid. I'll keep searching to see if I can find where GM says to use ATF on the manual tranny. I have user ATF since 2011 but also only put roughly 1000 miles on the car since so no idea about any possible long term damage. So far, zero problems , noises, rattles etc.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Monday, January 04, 2016 3:28 PM
7-37 of the manual DEXRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid.



FU Tuning




Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Monday, January 04, 2016 10:59 PM
Royal purple synchromech here with no issues. Not sure what tranny i have tho


ReD RaiN
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, January 05, 2016 4:03 AM
T!M8!T wrote:

Royal purple synchromech here with no issues. Not sure what tranny i have tho


99 cavy would be a isuzu so synchromesh would be correct.




FU Tuning



Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Wednesday, January 06, 2016 12:31 AM
Thanks been wanting to know what tranny i have


ReD RaiN
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:45 PM
I second that! Isuzu and synchromesh.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search