Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 9 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Saturday, March 01, 2014 6:49 PM
I know you hear it a lot Mikey but I just read this whole thread today for the first time and had to check in and tell you, sweet car. When watching your videos I notice we have most of the same things down in Texas but the car culture is vastly different than Canada. I've often thought it's because we can drive our pleasure cars 360 day a year, not all gear heads have garages here, and you guys get snowed in during the winters and park them to wrench, but I haven't been up there to fully understand. What I do know is you Canuk's build some of the coolest project cars because you guys are willing to take the road less travelled and bust out the bender, saws, and welders. Down here we have scores of sub 10 second cars on the road but most if not almost all are just reworked factory performance cars. They are cool no doubt. WTH, I have many examples of factory performance on hand myself, but I do love the DIY one off cars based on unassuming normal cars like yours. (I'm not saying a Z24 isn't a performance car but you know what I mean if you live in a major city in the Southern U.S..) I daily drive and drive an old Sunbird vert and yet even though there's 500HP cars all around and I have greater performance cars and trucks I still throw mods at the little bird just because if I don't, nobody else will smoke "faster" cars in one. Anyone can go fast buying a fast car, but to build one is better in my opinion. To build one as nice as you have warrants a big thumbs up. If, God forbid, the bureaucrats up there ever decide to outlaw your bad ass little RWD Cavalier don't cut it up, take what you want and put the chassis up for sale. I'd love to have a shot at putting something like that on the road in Houston, you just don't see something like that down here and there's a lot of guys who could stand to be taken down a notch if you know what I mean.

Regards,
Vernon

Sunday, March 02, 2014 7:24 AM
Wow, thanks Vernon,
You're right about the garage topic. Not everyone has the option. Personally I can't function without one. Not just for my Cavy, but I always have things to clean, work on, fix & upgrade. A shed doesn't cut it for me. For most people, their car is an extension of them in one way or another. This is mine. From the three times I got to take it for a quick spin before the snow, the people who got to see under the hood were totally amazed. And for the people who I cruzed past didn't give it a second look, excellent - sleeper mode accomplished.
You also right about many hot rodders who add on or upgrading the factory performance cars. I personally never got into that. It never satisfied me, I need more of a challenge. I also built the Cavy for my own personal fun with no reservations or to brag. Love the outdoor car shows, meeting people and cruzing. For me the track is for testing and some information gathering. The Cavy still needs some fine tuning on the suspension that I will attend to this summer.
I'm quite envious of the year round warm of the southern states. I have been fortunate enough to visit you guys (Americans) from time to time for work and play. Yes, the cultures are somewhat different. But I've always been made very welcome and I thank you guys...
If the "law" see the Cavy as unfit to be on public roads, I wouldn't chop it up. I would try to sell the rolling chassis and for sure post it here first.
I used to have an 84 Sunbird - 2 door hatch. One of the best cars I've ever had. Great on gaz, stupid cheap to maintain. Had 320,000 miles on it before Mr. road ice introduced me to Mr. lamp post. I was fine, but the car ended up being scrapped. Best of luck with yours.
Vernon, thanks again for the compliments
Great day to All

Mikey G

Sunday, March 02, 2014 7:02 PM
this was always my idea for a v8 cav center console... our console's are actually two separate pieces if you look at it. just take the top portion and rest it on the tunnel.

at least that was my idea... don't know how well it would work. you'd probably have to cut the front pocket area out but idk...

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, March 03, 2014 12:57 PM
Hi Brad,
I have a 5 speed console. It's been trimmed to accomodate the tunnel. This worked out beautifully. The parking breake is in the stock location as well. However, Instead of the window switches, there's a small pocket. I need a console from a 5 speed with the window switches still there - hopefilly with the pigtail still attached too. I'm looking for '00 and up as I believe the lower portion of the parking brake handle wrapped in vinyl. Much classier.. Not too surebut I think the Sunfires are the same as well. When the snow goes down a bit, I'll head out to the U-Pull yards and start looking. Not many good pics of the mods for the console I have. Will do a better show and tell with the next one.

Cheers

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:46 PM
. . . we need to find a way to stuff C5 or C6 Z06 wheels on there . . . same size on all 4's tho.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:56 AM
Corvette WBP is 5 x 120
My Cavy in currently 5 x 114.5. I would have to go with replicas........

I like it though.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:28 AM
Mike, I believe the C5 wheel bearings will go on your knuckles with little or no modification as the hub pattern is the same. I'm sure you can swap axles in the rear back to original, and you'd be good to go.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:58 AM
Hi Shawn,
I will definately keep it in mind. My disks up at the front would need to be re drilled. no biggie. The rear diff was shortened, so the original axles won't fit anymore. However I do have plans for an IRS one winter. The vette bolt pattern can easily be incorporated.. - Thanks for the info.

How's project coming along?

cheers,

Friday, March 14, 2014 6:24 AM
Mikey G wrote:My disks up at the front would need to be re drilled. no biggie.
You're using 12" rotors, correct? If so, they don't need to be redrilled. They have the same hub bore, so they make the stud holes large enough to accomodate the 5x115 and the 5x120.65.

Mikey G wrote:The rear diff was shortened, so the original axles won't fit anymore. However I do have plans for an IRS one winter. The vette bolt pattern can easily be incorporated.. - Thanks for the info.
Thumbs up for the IRS.

Mikey G wrote:How's project coming along?

cheers,
I haven't done much at all on it lately. It's been a hell of a year for me. I'm hoping to get moving again on the actual car this summer. I have made some progress in a few of the very custom parts though. I'll be posting some pictures and videos soon. There is a very old post floating around here somewhere on a project of mine that I bet everyone assumed was dead, but it will be revived soon with a major update.

Friday, March 14, 2014 4:07 PM
I think I will hold off with refinishing the Nissan rims. I'll run with them until I get a hold on the IRS project. I would rather build a custom unit instead of retrofitting another one. I'm really liking the Vette style rims.
Thanks a lot Tony. - you and your bright ideers
Shawn, looking forward to hearing and seeing updated on your project.
Regards,

Mikey G

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:31 PM
my GOD. those vette rims would look absolutely EPIC on that car. I say do it!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:33 PM
Mikey G wrote:Hi Brad,
I have a 5 speed console. It's been trimmed to accomodate the tunnel. This worked out beautifully. The parking breake is in the stock location as well. However, Instead of the window switches, there's a small pocket. I need a console from a 5 speed with the window switches still there - hopefilly with the pigtail still attached too. I'm looking for '00 and up as I believe the lower portion of the parking brake handle wrapped in vinyl. Much classier.. Not too surebut I think the Sunfires are the same as well. When the snow goes down a bit, I'll head out to the U-Pull yards and start looking. Not many good pics of the mods for the console I have. Will do a better show and tell with the next one.

Cheers

I might have a window switch with connector and wires. I will look the next couple days.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:51 AM
Well thanks John, - well appriciated.

I think there might be a small trim panel needed to install the switch assembly when the small pocket is removed.
The pic below is not mine but the very same. Let me know.... Thanks again.

Mikey G

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:25 AM
The whole piece around the shifter gets replaced, and the panel snaps into it where the pocket would be. I made the swap on mine years ago.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:28 PM
I took a second look at my existing console and you're right Shawn. I'm sure I'll have better luck finding a complete console with the proper options than just the panel. The snow here is starting to recede. I will head to the U-Pull yards soon and see what I can find. Getting anxious to get the Cavy out on the road.
Thanks again Shawn,

Cheers

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:40 AM
No problem. FYI, this is what you're looking for. It pops in and out, but if you go to a P&P, you're going to have to pull the console to release the tabs from underneath if you don't want to break any of them. You'll want to get under it anyway to get the wiring from the switch.

Attachments
manual trim power window.jpg (33k)

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:03 PM
Mikey G wrote:I think I will hold off with refinishing the Nissan rims. I'll run with them until I get a hold on the IRS project. I would rather build a custom unit instead of retrofitting another one. I'm really liking the Vette style rims.
Thanks a lot Tony. - you and your bright ideers
Shawn, looking forward to hearing and seeing updated on your project.
Regards,

Mikey G

No problem buddy, that's what I'm here for

Yeah . . . you're Z is bad ass, and those Nissan rims don't quite do it justice. I know you're in sleeper mode, but, V8Z stew just needs a touch of aggression and a pinch of attitude.

Friday, April 11, 2014 6:44 PM

I finally found the console I needed. It's got the window switches and more modern one with the boot on the E-brake too. I transferred measurements from my old unit.

Fits great. The boots had seen there time. They were both cracked. Didn't like the pale gray color either. I dropped them off at a local automotive upholstery shop. He's going to do them in leather with red stitching. The Lineloc is the little red switch just below the shifter knob. It will be under the boot - outa sight.
Just the air bags and the window switch to finalize and the wiring will be all buttoned up. Picked up a Delco radio with CD when I was getting the console. Wired up and works like a charm. I know it's not the greatest radio, but I needed to fill the hole. For those who noticed, the car's antenna was shaved off. I just removed the support and placed it under the rear dash cover. Reception is very good from in my garage.
My Buddy who was supposed to convert my front strut tower brace into stainless hasn't gotten around to it yet. I will have to re-install it until a better time. He's really busy right now and would rather wait until he's got the time.
Well that's it for now. Looking forward to getting it out very soon. More videos to come.

Cheers

Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:54 AM
hell yes. that is pretty much what I had in mind for the console. glad you made it work man I absolutely love the attention to detail in making this car appear stock. that is what really makes this build special.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:59 PM
Wow, Nice job on the project ... I was thinking of Pro-streeting one of these little @!#$kickers but a nice clean body would need to fall in my lap for that to happen ...

Time will tell
Friday, April 18, 2014 4:53 PM
Thanks Gary, I had a Pro Street. They're lots of fun.
I was able to get all the wiring buttoned up and dash back together. All worked perfectly except the SRS (air bag) clockspring. Anyone got a working one laying around? 95 to 99 - GM # 26036217

Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:29 PM
Looks great!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 01, 2014 6:09 PM
Hows progress?
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 10:38 AM
I am in love with the fact that the interior is still stock looking. So many projects like this I have seen and the interior is half assed. Great work sir!

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 2:42 PM
Hi Guys (and Gals),
Sorry for the radio silence. My job has sent me outa town quite a bit and currently working on some reno gigs as well.

I did manage to change the rear shocks from Monroe to KYBs. The rear springs are changed as well. The rear suspension had setled a bit and gould barely get my fingers in between the top of the tire and fender. I have 1-1/4" now. Have new springs for the front as well. Need to get back to it soon as I'm iching to get more miles on the odometer. Looking into getting a video cam I can mount to a baseball cap. I saw one at Costco, and thinking of picking it up for the next road trip.
As for the interior. The HVAC isn't there anymore due to the sever set back on the motor. Other than that all works. Yes I'm proud of it too. Of all the strangers who've seen it when parked have no clue. They just comment on how clean it it for it's year - until I open the hood or start it up.
Also need to invest in a Karcher power washer to remove all the mud from the suspension. The power got away from me and slid off the road into some mud on the last outing. All is good no damage except my pride.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search