LD9 intakes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 intakes
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:55 AM
How many different intake manifolds are there for the 2.4? What modifications would benefit each different manifold designs? Ld2, lgo, 95 2.3, stock plastic, venom, fetter, what else?

Re: Quad Family Intakes
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:27 PM
well there are to my knowledge only (2) stock LD9 intake manifolds. the 96-98 and 99-02. the 99-02 has a lip on the inside of the throttle body opening. no doubt a hinderance in flow. no idea why gm did this...

RSM racing did a nice port job on the stock manifold for us back in the day. a few still run them.. talk to james martin (misnblu) about how he feels on it.

then you have the venom and the OBX versions. the venom is by far the better unit. even still induction dynamics made an HO style aftermarket aluminum one years ago. no idea if anybody ever sprung for the big funds needed for one though...

brandon fetter has made a few aluminum ones. his latest creation places the throttle body on the passenger side, he made the one on the marks brother's car, and gary voyles has his old one to my knowledge.

spyhunter made a custom one which i believe cory zepp now owns (i think), atomic made a custom one which jay brodycog now owns (reflanged for LD9), that 98z24 or something or other had one made and now spencer guignet owns it (reflanged for quad 4), that one alero guy thats on here had one made...and david whitecavy had a custom one made. so quite a few of them out there all custom...

as far as "LD9" goes thats pretty much it to my knowledge.

now, you get into the quad 4 world and there are a bunch more. you have the 87-88 "header" style that doesnt flow worth ish, you have the 89-94 "HO" LG0 style, and the "LO" LD2 style... the 95 is the same as this one.

chris turbo quad 4 (made 556whp) has a custom one as well.

olds rocket parts made an ITB manifold with webber carbs... and various log style custom jobs from the aerotech project and what not.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:34 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

olds rocket parts made an ITB manifold with webber carbs... and various log style custom jobs from the aerotech project and what not.

I don't know if Quad4 Rods specifically used the Rocketparts ITB carbs, but they have had a setup as well for a long time.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:46 PM
I have done several searches on google and have come accross a company who makes a log style aluminum intake for the ld9 for around 450.00. I remember i sent the link to brad a while back. I didnt try calling them to see if they still sell it. But ill look and see if i can locate it. Ill post it up if i do.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:21 PM
It popped popped up on the very top of my google search list. http://www.revshift.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=69&review=read

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:12 PM
ohh ok, sure... thats the one i was talking about with the alero guy on here. his name escapes me... its boosted.

and thats cool you found it. i wasnt aware they were selling them as production units.

plenum seems a bit small for a 2.4 though...

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:44 PM
yep it does look small. I wonder if they made it for a certain rpm range. Im pretty sure a wider pplenum is good for highr rpms. But im not certain.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:09 PM
i havent made one yet but im always willing to make something new

mike

i make neons and j-bodys go fast

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:36 PM
what do you suggest for an N/A engine?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:33 PM
with a N/A setup using the 95 0r 90-94 quad 4 intake cam with 90-94 exhaust cam and head work will I benefit with the Venom Intake using a pacesetter 4-1 header and 2.25 exhaust with no cat 32 inch glasspack and a borla xl? I have a 3 inch k and n w/ weapon- R secret intake with 3 inch that has a pipe inside of another that helps pull a stronger vacuum velocity to the motor and a throttle spacer/ swirler (whats your guys's opinions on this intake some say overpriced but what about the design and how it helps the motor breath?) . I would be running 10.5-1 compression with .030 head gasket. would I lose horsepower with the venom intake? or is it more for a HO cams or bigger setup? I saw a post on here about a guy going to school and had access to a flowbench machine and posted stock cfm flow numbers and ported head cfm flow numbers. How much more head flow do you need to benefit with the Venom intake or with the ho or even the ld2?
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:07 PM
id go bigger on your exhaust. forget the tb spacer. if your pulling your head to do work on it you might as well throw in bigger cams and valves.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:39 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

spyhunter made a custom one which i believe cory zepp now owns (i think)

Sadly I didn't buy it, I bought something else instead. Maybe the mantapart dual valvespring setup? I cant remember. If im not mistaken he still has it up for grabs(or last time I looked at his thread)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:43 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search