Flex pipe and motor mounts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flex pipe and motor mounts
Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:06 AM
Redoing the exhaust and was wondering if a flex pipe would be needed with aftermarket mounts. The lower is Karo's and the upper is the insert. Of course better safe than sorry, but I know there are pleanty who don't use a flex pipe, not to meantion it adds one more palce thats prone to leak over time. Opinions?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Flex pipe and motor mounts
Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:13 AM
It is better to have a flex pipe (leak) than a cracked manifold. I'd put one on, just for that peace of mind.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:18 AM
I have had all the mounts and a full exhaust with no flex joint for over 2 years, daily driven. No issues.

But I have seen many problems in the past caused by this.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:15 PM
I just went from a 2.5" w/ flexpipe, to a 3" with flex pipe... its all gotta move somehow when you hit a bump. Even with the most solid mounts I can get id still do one. If its properly maintained, then it shouldnt be an issue.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:14 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I just went from a 2.5" w/ flexpipe, to a 3" with flex pipe... its all gotta move somehow when you hit a bump. Even with the most solid mounts I can get id still do one. If its properly maintained, then it shouldnt be an issue.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:02 PM
Ive have no flex pipe and using a cheap e-bay header. No cracks after over a year of daily driving. Solid top and bottom mounts and tranny mounts.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:21 PM
Hmm, been here before in another life.
I do seem to recall that the exhaust is hanging from hangers so the issue of bumps is taken care of when the hangers do their job.
10 years without a flex pipe and Pacesetter header, upper insert with RK bottom mount, and never a fail. Even now with my 2.5 exhaust and custom down pipe there's no leaks or fear of it breaking something.
300+ time slips and a couple of trophies with this setup couldn't give it more abuse and never a problem not to mention the car was my paintball teams way of traveling to tournaments in 4 different states with the car fully loaded.
Either way, good luck with it.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search