Kind of over heating problem - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Kind of over heating problem
Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:25 PM
Ok well let me start out by saying it doesn't happen all the time. when it happens i can press the throttle and it goes down. It usually only happens either idling or at a stand waiting for a light or waiting for a period of time. I did replace the water pump not this past winter but the winter previous. The bleed screw is broke and I know i need to replace it just haven't found a junker at the yard to replace it and when I'm at the yard just don't remember to get one with a active bleed screw. Anyway i just don't know its the water pump again or the thermostat. thee is no wetness under the water pump that I can see or feel. So if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Re: Kind of over heating problem
Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:29 PM
yeah sorry should of of this under maintenance was in this forum last and wasn't paying attention
Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:54 PM
You really did not describe your problem.

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:52 PM
All that and i didn't say it goes over the 3/4 marker and sometimes barely touches the red in engine temp so its an over heating issue
Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:25 PM
my car runs arm some times i will put the heat on to keep out of the red if its a emergency. I would change the coolant and get some Water wetter see if that helps you out. Also what condition is your fan? I plane replacing that on my own car soon. Also when was the last time your thermostat was changed? look at your radiator check the finns what condition are they in?
Monday, May 13, 2013 4:41 AM
proneto911 wrote:All that and i didn't say it goes over the 3/4 marker and sometimes barely touches the red in engine temp so its an over heating issue

Do you have working ac, do you use it?

Does your fan work? Have you tested it?

FU Tuning

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:29 AM
fan works and active ac i use it for defrosting the car the other day got fog in the car. it has 213k on the car everything is stock except for the alternator and thermostat and water pump replaced it about a year ago
Monday, May 13, 2013 10:09 AM
to check your thermostat see if both your bottom and top rad hose it hot. If one is much warmer its probably because your thermostat is stuck. Not sure what kind of car you have but on my car I was able to take out the thermostat just by removing the hose on the bottom of it. 95 cav z24. its also likely that you have air in your system if you didnt bleed it properly. i would check this first. Also.... +1 for water wetter
Monday, May 13, 2013 8:02 PM
Clogged heater core or radiator can cause overheat. To check the heater core grab both hoses, they should both be warm. If one is cold it has a restriction. An infared thermometer is handy to check the radiator.. look for cold spots( cold means no flow in that part of the radiator. You can use your hand but be careful it gets hot..obviously. my guess would be that the coolant tank my not be sealing up. Mine would run warm when it wasnt sealing up.. after a cold start the radiator hoses should start to get hard. If they dont then the system isnt holding pressure like it should. These cars will do what you are describing if this is the case.. if all that checks out im sorry to say the next thing to check is the head gasket
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search