V8Z24 ...for real ! - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8Z24 ...for real !
Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:56 PM
Cody, Keep up the good work.

And nice Nova by the way!

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:41 PM
Thanks guys.
I've been creeping a bunch of build threads for 1st/2nd and third gen builds, just to see what other people have done and stuff.
I figured out I think I'm going to get the car running like this for a while, but while I build my 383 I'm going to try and pick up a 6-speed out of a newer f-body and remote mount my resoivoir under the dash so the car can be a standard like I always wanted(no room on firewall). That won't be for a while but I'm going to start picking up everything I need haha(transmission being biggest part). I'm slowly ordering stuff to my house becaue there's soo many good deals on jegs/ebay and a few other sites haha. Can't wait to get home.
I got my wagon that I bought out here all ready to go to it's new owner, which includes me ripping out the nice new stereo and putting it in my luggage so I can use it in the hatch.
Still have to order those four euro headlights, two front draglites, two bucket seats, all my gauges, and stuff. but at least the car's getting there.
Monday, November 12, 2012 6:06 PM
Well, everytime my mom sends me pictures, I share them so here are some more.
I mentioned to my dad I was going to order new front wheels, and he ended up buying some locally.
8 more days and I'm home, these pictures just made me more excited.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:40 PM
Well, I'm back home and going to start work on this beautiful thing soon.
here's some pictures I took earlier today. I'm hitting the junkyard tomorrow to try and pick some more @!#$ up!!

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:29 PM
Wheels are shiny nice.However I do not see a 2.0 ohv or turbo 1.8 guess your going rocket power.Ha just picking and your changes are looking great.I def like your front wheel choice.Good luck and may you get something really done once you have the time to pour into it soon.Nice updates

Saturday, December 01, 2012 5:47 PM
Had a productive night tonight with my father.
enjoy!

Looks like we're going to have to cut.

I made a thread on v6z24 about emptying out my garage of spare parts to try and make room for more and make money along with space haha.
I'm trying to find a base model dash, H steering wheel and side mirrors, but still no luck. Hopefully I'll find a hit 4door or something somewhere haha.
Saturday, December 01, 2012 9:21 PM
I have these parts. Minus the bezels,I/P and heater controls.

John

Saturday, December 01, 2012 11:16 PM
^^ That is exactly what I want, exept I'm going to paint it black.
I already have the z24 dash in my 90 so I don't want it again in my hatchback. I had the base model dash in my girlfriend's 88 wagon out in Alberta and loved it. I figure I can cut it up and make it look nicer then I would a z24 dash,as well. Autometer speedo and tach will fit nicely where the original speedo + gas gauge is. Cut two more holes so I can have four gauges in there(volts,temp,oil press, and gas level), and then get the adapter for a new stereo headunit, and it'll look a lot nicer then a ghetto, cut up, poorly done z24 dash. I need to get everything together asap so I can finish the wiring and hopefully hear this beast run by christmas
The H wheel is a nice, stock, look as well as being very comfortable. I had one in the wagon and loved it, and my father also had one in his 68 camaro.

You guys would probably kill me for cutting up a mint dash though eh
That's why my girlfriend and I are going on safari tomorrow to a couple cavalier junkyards in the desprete attempts at finding a smashed 4door
Sunday, December 02, 2012 4:59 AM
Cody M wrote:^^ That is exactly what I want, exept I'm going to paint it black.
I already have the z24 dash in my 90 so I don't want it again in my hatchback. I had the base model dash in my girlfriend's 88 wagon out in Alberta and loved it. I figure I can cut it up and make it look nicer then I would a z24 dash,as well. Autometer speedo and tach will fit nicely where the original speedo + gas gauge is. Cut two more holes so I can have four gauges in there(volts,temp,oil press, and gas level), and then get the adapter for a new stereo headunit, and it'll look a lot nicer then a ghetto, cut up, poorly done z24 dash. I need to get everything together asap so I can finish the wiring and hopefully hear this beast run by christmas
The H wheel is a nice, stock, look as well as being very comfortable. I had one in the wagon and loved it, and my father also had one in his 68 camaro.

You guys would probably kill me for cutting up a mint dash though eh
That's why my girlfriend and I are going on safari tomorrow to a couple cavalier junkyards in the desprete attempts at finding a smashed 4door

Not a base model dash with just speedo/fuel gauge and dummy lights. Now if it's the next step up with the speedo, tach, fuel, temp, oil & volts gauges we might . Show pics when your done as I've been thinking about replacing the fuel gauge in mine with a quad gauge pack.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:41 PM
I went to a junkyard last weekend with my dad and picked up a dash out of an 85 4-door, along with a few other odd's and ends.
Covered in mould and dirt, after four hours we finally got it out. It got a little damaged from my father's rage but nothing that can't be fixed.
I have it cleaned, and now I just have to paint it. We're ordering gauges tomorrow so soon I can put the intrument cluster I'm making in it with the gauges.
Here's the dash just before I started cleaning it/tearing it apart.

I'm also picking up a t5 5-speed sunday. I'm trading a 750 edelbrock carb for it. (good deal if you ask me )
Soon it'll be running and able to go for a rip up the road.
Hope to get the body finished soon too so it can get painted!
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:01 PM
I spent the night with my girlfriend working out in the garage.
I cleaned the dash with grease remover to get the last bit of dirt off and gave it a couple good coats of paint, and started working on my instrument cluster more. The gauges should be in sometime this week so I'll get a picture of everything together.

I was talking to my buddy, Mitch today, and we're going to paint my jams soon, and tackle the body. Need this pig painted asap. Only body modifications we have to do now is really is cutting the wheel wells, and trimming the cowl hood so it doesn't hit the windshield when it's in the car. Other then that, all we really have to do is get the car more straight + better aligned(friggin firenza body is a nightmare for cavalier parts.)

It may be baby steps, but at least it's progress, right?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:40 AM
Nice Progress...

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:56 AM
Looks like the "option package" you're installing on this model precludes heat and A/C....or probably windshield wipers, but it just might be fast enough to outrun some heat , cold , and raindrops!!

I'm guessing that dash you got is out of an early 2 headlight version from the looks of the vents.

I see you also have loads of fun figuring where to put some gauges too, didn't GM make life interesting!!

As I am planning on pulling a dash myself next year, do you have any tips, tricks or 2 cents worth of advice seeing as you've kinda been-there-done-that?

Keep on plugging away - looks really great , she ain't a collection of parts, odds & ends no more!!

Make sure to not forget the girlfriend there and take her out to dinner - sounds like she's been a real trooper!! Who knows, you get this one done she might want you to make her a "Hers" version!!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:48 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:

As I am planning on pulling a dash myself next year, do you have any tips, tricks or 2 cents worth of advice seeing as you've kinda been-there-done-that?

have a 7mm ratchet + socket, extention, screwdriver handle with 7mm attachment, 5mm socket,10mm,13mm,15mm, multi screwdriver and some beer as it's very stressful.
Start with all the big things on the passenger side underneath, and work your way over to the driver. two hidden bolts on the bottom corners. Other then that you just take time unbolting everything. (instrument cluster may be a little tricky though if the column doesn't have tilt.) I can't really remember too much about taking it out haha.

Thought I'd throw this in since I managed to take a shot of my girlfriend while she was 'working' in the garage haha.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:05 PM
So, I've slowly been getting some work done(friggin' holidays), and made a couple lists. One of these lists is what I have left for the body. This would include: Trim the cowl hood half an inch so it won't hit the windshield, Cut the wheel wells, fix the unexpected rust holes in the actual hatch, cut another hole in the rear bumper for exhaust, finish the cowl peice/windshield wiper motor mount, fix the fender/door/hood alignment, straighten the car, prime it, and paint the door jams. Then we can ship it off for paint !

We got a peice made for the cowl that we have to make work with the windshield wiper motor. Turned out really good in my opinion.

We've just been picking away at the car slowly but we've been getting a lot of little things done. Just hoping to actually get the body finished soon.
Anyways, here's some more peektures!

Going to use the stock 3.1 fan I think since it fits(barely inside the balancer) and my grand am ones won't fit and new ones are a tad too pricey for us right now.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:42 PM
Well, There's been a decent ammount of progress since my last post. Hope all you guys had great holidays + a happy new year!
Car is finally in primer, and hopefully soon to be painted by my buddies uncle. I'm getting so giddy I feel like a school girl.
Through a lot of alcohol, A LOT of bodywork has been done(still not done but still getting there), dash, cleaned up a bunch of small peices, and all in all just getting ready for the next few steps.
Here's a few pictures though!

Looks great to see it all in one color again, even if it is just primer!

Expect more pictures as I get more done.

I ended up switching from my cavalier hatch to my firenza hatch, due to rust problems + a cleaner look. I just have to get two corners welded up on the firenza hatch because of the cutout for the firenza taillights. With this switch I lose a rear wiper and third brakelight, but the look looks a lot cleaner overall.
Thanks!
Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:36 PM
I like how you did the dash bezel with hi tech gauges! See your body is getting closer and looks very nice.It was a bummer when the site went down and we have to catch up.It is nice to be back and catching up on progress.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:03 AM
Cody M wrote:

What are the sizes of the gauges?
Did you have to do any cutting to make them fit?

Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:37 AM
She's sporting primer now. Won't be long!!
I like your solution to your gauges.
Looks like you are saving a special spot for your Turbo Boost gauge there under the Fuel Gauge!!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:22 AM
Spike J wrote:
Cody M wrote:

What are the sizes of the gauges?
Did you have to do any cutting to make them fit?

Speedo + tach are 5 inch, and the gauges are 2" or 2 1/16th.
I could of used the original front peice but my father broke it, but to make them fit all I had to do was take a drummel and open up the 5" holes a little,
and as for the smaller 2" ones, I reemed out the middle two to fit (makes it very weak as I found), and i cut up a 3-peice gauge holder for two, and put it in the vent peice
for the other two gauges. I then did some body work and it turned out fine.
Since it broke I just took that and made one, which actually fits a lot better. I think it's going to look really nice once its painted.

and Aww shoot, you ruined my surprise , I found a giant turbo at the junkyard haha. The extra hole is for my water temp that i was too lazy to fit in though.
Who knows, maybe later on down the road I'll turbo it LOL

Also, this is a old picture ( as you can tell ), but it shows off my dad's 55 with my nova + hatch! Stumbled upon it earlier today.

Friday, February 08, 2013 9:19 PM
It's been a bit since I last replied, but I've been busy (and unfortanately not on the car... A lot of work issues + errands + unfortanate events.)
WELL. I've actually managed to get some more bodywork done in the past week, and a blizzard's hitting tomorrow so I imagine I'll be working through the entire thing.
We welded in he cowl peice(with windshield wiper motor ), and currently working on getting inner fenders made up.
We also ran into a snag with the rearend, but nothing re-ordering axles with C-clip eliminators cant fix. ;D

My daily driver (my 3400 swapped Z24), ran into quite a few mishaps over the past few weeks rendering it undriveable. Tonight it finally became alive again, but I thought it was neat I had two of my Z's in the garage together so I figured I'd take a few pictures. enjoy!
....Yes, the ass is jacked way the hell up. Quite a difference between stock height, and dropped, eh

I realised I'm also going to have to roll the front fenders(I only did the back). We could barely move the car around in the garage because the tires were rubbing so after such little of an angle. I'm hoping the new wheels fix this problem a little too.
Just figured Id post a little update!
...Also, the girlfriend finally managed to get a job since we're back so I'll have even more time for this beauty.

Friday, February 08, 2013 9:29 PM
That drag build is something super kick ---.I know it will all come together and I like seeing even the small steps it is taking to achieve it.I am soon to start fixing my cav up with well boxes of parts waiting since uh last yr.I get so busy with everything else and even junkyarding for others.I took a big step this wk and got my cav a safety inspection and back in the garage and on stands.So maybe not this coming wk,hitting the junkyard again,but say the wk of feb20 I will start on it and get something accomplished.At least I have a 2013 safety done and today got my sticker for my registration so sunny is up TO date for 12months.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:08 AM
Good stuff. Love the pics of the two Js. A buddy of mine did that with his Camaros side by side - a 68 and a 2012 ZL1 - really cool.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:50 PM
Builds like this makes me want to keep my hatch lol , great work !
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:25 PM
almost on the ground.
..Almost...

Brand new Bear's axles, and 30 spline posi with 3.73s.
Just need new shims and a cover! The C-clip eliminators are installed as well.
Soon to be mobile + able to be painted!
Everytime someone comes over, they think it's just a drag car, and won't believe me when I say it's going to be street driven lol.

ALSO. adding on to first gens....
My girlfriend and I had a '88 wagon out west, when we were in Alberta, and she grew attatched to it.
So I've been doing some looking and I found an '87 wagon up in New Brunswick. I'm going to go look at it this weekend and hopefully pick it up for us!
It's a 2.0 4 cyl, automatic which is perfect for her. I also have my z24 hood + z24 bumper which I could put on it. Might also swap in a newer 4 cyl + 4speed auto as well.
Need something reliable for her. SO here's hoping It's not a POS and I actually pick it up!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search