Painting on the '84 Bird...Finally - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Painting on the '84 Bird...Finally
Saturday, June 29, 2013 9:26 PM
sweet!

Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:22 PM
Finished up the upper part of the paint job today. The light blue portion is complete.Looks like I got the beltline taped off pretty close - inside a single bay garage there isn't enough room to back up and take a good look.

Sneak preview before I've gotten the hardware back on.

Here is the masked off pinstripe area ready to be filled in with the red trim

...and here is a couple shots of the Wagon where I used the color break. Filled in the entire area of the pinstripe for a single wider stripe.

Here is how I save the roller in between coats. Really works.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:51 PM
Looks much improved.I guess nothing like some fresh paint for the summer and or year!Eventually my car will get that area done,once I get the mechanical stuff done one day.I am chilling right now and Monday I turn a touch older 44.I have to work but at least my company gives us 8hrs personal time to use when ever we like for our birthday(pretty cool) I think.

Monday, July 01, 2013 5:41 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Here is the masked off pinstripe area ready to be filled in with the red trim

Could have gotten yourself one of these and removed the pinstripe permanently, though they used to be cheaper 12yrs ago.

Monday, July 01, 2013 9:17 AM
looking great...

Monday, July 01, 2013 1:59 PM
Oh Lord Spike!! I have to keep that pinstripe there to keep me straight!! If I didn't have that there it would be one heluva crooked stripe going down the side... LoL!!

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:07 PM
Looking good there Orlen. I also wrap my rollers and brushes in a wet rag and then the plastic. Can keep them from drying up for over a week or more.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:44 PM
Just a few Show & Tells for today. This part of the adventure has turned into a challenge!! Lots & Lots of body prep going into this one. Lots of painting afterward. Finally got the 1st Primer coat applied this evening as the fireworks started booming. The City here isn't having their blast till tomorrow, so just the locals letting off the little stuff tonight. The ole Bird is wearing me out at this stage!!

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:14 PM
That is a lot of masking there orlen.Seems you have been busy for sure.I stlll have not been able to mow the last two days due to rain,rain and more rain.I however did replace my garage door seals since the originals well are up to par.Plus some other outdoor trimming,and some pressure washing.Anyway things are looking good and you will get it done I know.

Friday, July 05, 2013 5:24 AM
The rain sure has been coming down for sure. Seems we get to pick from heatwaves & fires or lots of rain and floods.

Been on the lookout to see if the State of North Carolina happens to float pass by here!!

Friday, July 05, 2013 8:47 PM
Finally finished painting on the Bird. Here is some early photos. Hope to get it back together and out of the garage to see how it really looks! Got my signature White Grill/Red Stripe going on. Guess my Sig isn't quite accurate nowadays, Huh.

Saturday, July 06, 2013 5:07 AM
Lookin' good

Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:25 PM
Finally got the Bird put back together today and out of the garage, but it was getting late by the time I rolled out of there. I fought a bit trying to get the doorhandle linkages off and upon reassembly I found I had screwed up - the doors wouldn't open so I had to do a whole lot of playing with those rods to get the doors to work reasonably right. Took some photos but the sun was going on it's way down. Will try to get some sunshiny shots soon for a final posting - but here is the general result. I have worked in some original photos for a reference as well. Enjoy!! Spent a lot of time in the HOT Garage sweating for these!!

Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:16 PM
That is def a much improved look my friend! Looks great orlen.

Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:46 AM
I like the color combo!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:54 AM
I like it, especially the low cost option you used. I hope I get mine painted this summer. I need the inspiration, of course driving my 89 Z24 with the top down on a hot night is also a great motivator too.

Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:52 PM
Today is the last day of my 5 day break , and tomorrow it is back to work. Weather today was mostly rain, so I didn't get to get the sunshine photos I wanted. Being that I had to clean up the huge mess I've made in the Garage I ran across all the emblems I very carefully removed along the way. I thought ....Hmmmm.....today is as good as any to try and put them back on. Never put emblems on before, but then again never had I taken any off till I got the Pontiac. Took my time and paid attention to details - sure looks good to have them all back on again. I had to take the first ones off way back when I had to replace the trunk - which was too far gone and had to be replaced. This trunklid came off a Chevrolet....LoL.

This Pontiac emblem actually came off a 1970s Sunbird, but replace the original very nicely (Shhhh....don't tell anyone)

I was very careful taking these off - they were all the rage back in the '80's. The drivers side was actually on crooked when I got it, and that drove me nuts since I've had it, but now it is straight like it should be.

And finally the back trunklid is complete. Interestingly - the Pontiac and the 2000 emblems are plastic, while the Sunbird one is still made out of metal. Oh yeah, the whole front DMV plate holder is made out of metal too - what a surprise!!!

I've noticed that the left tail light has no black lines in it like the right side does. Hoping down the road I might be able to score a good pair of matching tail lights!

I know this doesn't quite fall into the emblem thing....but I did save the Unleaded sticker in the Gas Filler Cover. Taped over it and pulled it back off after it dried real good.

Monday, July 08, 2013 4:11 AM
Definitely an improvement removing those Atlanta braves stickers. I can send you some stl cardinals stickers to replace those. Lol.

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:11 AM
get some black paint for those lines on the left tail light...
Monday, July 08, 2013 12:55 PM
Mask both tail lights off and paint them both. They will look like new.

Monday, July 08, 2013 6:40 PM
Would like to get a spare set to "play" with. If I screw these up it could prevent my Bird from getting her next inspection, so I'd rather play it safe and wait till I can afford another set. Surfed EBay today and found 6 Tail Lights for sale. I was astonished to find so many. Ha haa , ya know by the time I'm ready to buy I won't be able to find 'em!! It's all OK, I don't be needing to get this completely finished up anyways - it'd take all the fun outta it!! I'm very Pleased & Grateful to have accomplished all I have done this year already!

It's been a Wonderful Year

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:11 AM
Not that I expect to find anything, but if I should, are you wanting lights with or without the black lines?
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:02 AM
If you get lucky with lines that is Great. Even without the lines I can have a pair to work on and see if I can get them polished up and paint the lines on them. I just don't want to clown around with the only set I have and accidently drop one or maybe screw up and get black paint where I shouldn't - then mess up the lense trying to get the paint back off. Thanks for keeping me in mind in your travels!!

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:24 PM
The weather finally Cooperated enough today that the Old Man was finally able to drive the Repainted 'Bird to work. Easily the most fun drive I've had to work in quite awhile!! That '80's styling along with the 2-Tone Treatment really stands out amongst the 90's / 2000X Crowd.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:50 AM
found this while backing up some files so thought I'd leave it here for future reference for everybody Cheap Roll On Paint Job

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search