What things are you busy with that side track your car work - Page 9 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Friday, June 05, 2015 8:13 PM
Paul been there on the home add on's or improvements.The quick story is we added 900 sq ft which was more kitchen,a true laundry room,another full bath with a walk in shower,and 700 sq ft of this stuff is my garage.Just some more details all siding removed isulation blown into the walls,all new plumbing to pvc (half the house had this done already) more insulation blown into the attic and Yes the garage is fully insulated.New breaker box in the house and garage,and all this came in about 10% over budget due to issue's here and there.Today I ran errands and cleaned my truck,cleaned the wifes car and changed the oil,and even cleaned up my mother in laws car as I did a full detail on it two wks ago.It is hot and humid here and tired after the afternoons work/heat.If I were your son I would want the cav any day over a lumina.There well boring.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:35 AM
She wants my Fiero too.....especially when the SC swap is done, but that ain't happening. I found her a local Fiero with a 4cyl auto to maybe take her eyes off the Z. I could probably convince her if the Z wasn't a convertible.

I'm still having trouble finding a power top switch for it though. It has one out of a Sunbird and it works fine it just looks like crap. I can make a plate for it to mount properly and most likely will since the stock switch is hard to come by.
Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:42 PM
Finished my deck - all new composite deck boards, completely sealed lower structure and retaining wall of my driveway, re-topped the railing & stained upper rails and purchased & installed a Sunsetter Awning as well !

One of the most grueling projects I have ever tackled short of construction of my driveway retaining wall which has been there for 20 years now !

~ Mike ~

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:01 PM
Nicely done and I see you keep things Very tidy and neat as I do!!! I spent my day yardworking all the general thingsThe temp was like 90 and just HOT,humid not so much.I am plain wore out.I spent about 8hrs total start to finish.The added time was cleaning up my wife's cousins (Crappy area near his wood pile).This is just plain obsurd with crap laying everwhere,and I hauled off multiple loads of rotted wood,and debris filled my Big wheel barrow several times.In short the reason is we have wacked 3 black snakes in the last 3 weeks!!!! Snakes are out in numbers here this year and the less garbage laying around the better.My mil lives next to him and I want to keep her SAFE from this kind of problem.Not to talk bad about a semi related family member but,he is a 100% slack A--.I even mowed his back yard as it was over 10 inches tall (Do you think there is a problem)?He finally had his good ride mower picked up tue as it will not run,to get it fixed as I tried for weeks tracing the wiring and came up 0.I am a darn good lawnmower mechanic but,this mower has a broken wire somewhere and I did my diagnostics on many days free of charge to try and find the issue.Rant not really,just annoyed and the problem needs fresh eyes on his mower.

Saturday, June 27, 2015 8:01 PM
Well car is yet to inspected.Due to me falling apart. I have some pretty severe arthritis in my neck that pretty much made me go the doctor thurs.The pain was so bad,I had to get a new prescription for the issue.I am doing better today,friday I was a robot and it was horrid.The irony is this week I go up 1 digit in age and I guess that is my surprise for getting older.I kept things low key Friday,today just stuff in the house.Hope all of you are doing A OK health wise.My not so fun post.

Sunday, July 05, 2015 6:01 PM
Constantly working on something... here's a link that I try to keep crap up to date on...

http://www.j-body.com/forum/showthread.php?37270-my-back-yard
Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:27 PM
Got my Blue Cavalier out of storage today. Late this year because I have been busy taking care of my kids Mustangs.

These Mustangs have been consuming my time this year. Both V6 cars with a Gt vibe.

Got these seats in the back from Orlen last winter to replace my worn fronts. can not tell from the pics but the velour is really worn.
They will be my first project on the Cav this year.

Sunday, July 26, 2015 9:41 PM
I think we all have been side stepped with other things aside from our on rides this year.In short my car is going to sit tight till I get vacation time re-up'd in sept.The last couple of weeks for me have been loco and not even a step into a junkyard?The quick is last week did a Full detail on my sister in laws 10 accord and new oem wheel covers,repainted the steelies,steam cleaned the entire interior and good general check.Then took the wifes 04 accord to Honda for the airbag recall Finally.Plus I had to do a 200 hr service on my 12 Husqvarna ride mower that took a touch longer than my typical clean freak clean up each week after I use it and yes I remove the deck every time! I do not want sticking dead grass odors in my garage.This is my short version if there was one.

Thursday, August 06, 2015 8:12 PM
Ok I have been working on my youngest nephews car a 02 Honda civic.The car is indeed in dire need of some updates and clean up.So far I have steam cleaned the interior,applied some leather gel to shine things and interior glass.I checked the spare it was 10lbs low.Installed both headlight assemblies and done.Today the heavier work new rear struts and 1st side kind of tough but,a touch of a learning curve on the reinstall.It was simply getting the upper mount bolts turned correct to alloy the lower end to go in place on the A arm at a angle.In short it took me 3 hours or so for both sides and cleaning the wheel covers and repainting the steelies kyrlon satin black and done!The right height is funny looks jacked up,but the old struts were blown out some kind of Bad.I went with gabriels ultra G force figured I would try something different.Now left is a wash/wax and new wiper blades and done for awhile.The front struts suck too,but I do not want to dig a hole I cannot get out of this week.I have the parts ordered and will address the front when he is home from college on a break and I can have Lots of time to tackle the front which is sucking on the ride really bad to me.I will pop a few pics Friday and I will say the paint is going on the car,but that is to be a maaco special in probably dec as it needs a new front bumper cover and new splash shield as the shield is gone and the bumper is fubar.My fun I guess but it seems to be a solid car with the typical wear and yes the rear struts were the originals.

Friday, August 07, 2015 8:45 PM
Ok the quick run down interior stupid cleaned,outside washed/waxed,new headlight assemblies,degreased the engine bay went over the entire car with a fine tooth comb.Replaced the rear struts and mounts they were beyond toast as in barely rebounded on a hand compression.I could go into more detail but I am trying to not bore you guys to death.The simple mega clean inside and out,replaced some components,addressed half of the mechanical suspension this time,but I have new front struts and mounts when I have more time to tackle that beast later.The engine pic is fuzzy bc I was moving too much on the pic.Car has 140k and so far ok and needs some other items addressed but,this is a good start.This again is my youngest nephews car and trying 100% to make it straight as I can before he heads off to college about a hour or so away.The things I go beyond to make things right.Tired yep I am.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:14 AM
Another year and strange behind the scenes stuff going on gives Who Wants to be a Millionaire another season. I am in the contestant pool for the next season.

I just passed the Jeopardy test, hoping to be randomly selected to audition in Raleigh later this year. Could be as early as March, so studying hard.

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:16 PM
Ok yesterday I did my 10,000 mile service on my 2014 Toyota Tacoma access cab with the 4x4 and 2.7ltr eng and the best part 5spd manual.I removed my tires,washed,waxed rims and rotated.Dropped my spare and did the same and the psi was mega low due to cold temps.Checked the entire suspension and greased my driveline.Did my 5k oil change with Valvoline 0w20 synthetic and a mobil one filter.Filters inside and out fine.Washed and waxed inside done.I took my truck to my local Toyota dealer for a recall on the exhaust system.They literally replaced the piping from the exhaust back to the muffler with a brand new upgrade.The short story is a gasket in the system was known to fail on this engine and block air flow and yes fixed for FREE.I also checked my trans gear oil,transfer case and rear diff fluid.This is maybe boring but for a 2.3 year old truck with 10,185 actual miles I clearly do not drive that much when off work.I do love my Tacoma.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:13 PM
Hey hey,i like thoses rear bucket seat .
Are they from an early year cavalier or a later or simply custom ?
Are they easy to fit and install ?
Thanks
Alain
Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:22 PM
Alain,

I just placed those there to show them off and they are sitting on the stock 84 vert rear seats.. I did a little horse trading with Orlen and he had sent them to me.

Good Idea though as they fit almost exactly in the rear of the 1st gen vert. I believe they came out of a 1986 Cavalier. Orlen may know for sure.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:08 PM
Oh yeah, they came out of an '86 Hatch back in '14. Too bad I didn't get the fold down rear seat back then. It would have been a cool project to see if you could have fit it in the "vert John! The 2nd Gens came out with the fold down rears as an option, and 3rd Gens are standard. Very handy!

Thursday, March 03, 2016 9:41 PM
Ok quick story got my sister in laws 2010 Honda accord today.I had to remove the tires (all 4) going for some New firestone infinity touring tires.The short is her tire's dunlops (I personally hateth) this brand were wearing out.You bet they were check out the front 3rd pic is the lhs and I could literally stick a quarter into the steel belt and splitting on the cord.Potential blowout just waiting to happen YOU THINK?I have to say these tires were rotated back in july of 15 and went over 9k untouched (mistake you think) well yeah.New tires are on and going for a 4whl alignment Friday and I did my thorough check over and even steam cleaned the NASTY A-- interior and it was just filthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Picture's cannot describe it but,I needed a hazmat suit (my humor) it was just landfill filth in my opinion.To end I did repaint the steel wheels and clean the new 15 new oem wheel covers front and back and checked everything on the car.It needs a bath and wax but it is raining here.Car has 94800 on it now.Done

Monday, March 07, 2016 8:43 AM
My dad drove on a bald set till one blew out on the highway and instead of pulling off the road to change it he drove a few miles to the next exit, ended up "loaning" him one of our full size spares from our Saturn since his rim was destroyed.

Monday, March 07, 2016 2:54 PM
Wow that is bad! The poster car for why states mandate inspections.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 4:15 PM
Made it to the world famous Daytona 500 this year with my 18 year old daughter that begged to go.
Great seats and a definite thing to put on your bucket list.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 8:58 PM
That sounds pretty cool to go to.I have been to multiple nascar races mostly in the mid 90's when I was really into it.I went to charlotte,martinsville, and rockingham mostly.It is a very unique experience to check out.Not so much into now as I just lost interest.I went back when it was the dirty word Winston cup series as for the tobacco side pouring money into it back then.Glad you enjoyed your trip and who know's maybe your daughter showing that kind of interest will go into the actual car side of the picture down the line.Very cool regardless.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:21 AM
Ron Love wrote:That sounds pretty cool to go to.I have been to multiple nascar races mostly in the mid 90's when I was really into it.I went to charlotte,martinsville, and rockingham mostly.It is a very unique experience to check out.Not so much into now as I just lost interest.I went back when it was the dirty word Winston cup series as for the tobacco side pouring money into it back then.Glad you enjoyed your trip and who know's maybe your daughter showing that kind of interest will go into the actual car side of the picture down the line.Very cool regardless.

Yeah Brian France sure is destroying what his Grandfather and Father built.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:16 AM
Been doing some upgrades to the Vert!!!

Added ALL LED lights ... parking, turn, back-up, interior, glovebox, console dash, AC and wiper controls....EVERYTHING except the radio... but I found a nice Delco CD radio that I need to work on that I will try to add the LED's to.
Also got some LED fog/DRL lights to put on ... not done yet. and put in Composite headlights with LED's ... got'em in but not wired up yet.

Put it up on YouTube.... https://youtu.be/V3EDc0qSUA8

The video is not that great... I guess LED lights come out a little differently on my phone's camera... or the contrast is too much to handle...IDK...
but in person the background lighting in the dash and AC controls is a very nice blue hue.
I also had to get a special turn signal relay and flasher relay to make to turn signals flash... but since the turn indicators on the dash still don't see enough voltage for the turn signals they still stay lit... I will get that worked out....

Let me know what ya'll think!!!

Terry

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:03 PM
Super nice Terry.
I love that car.
Alain
Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:28 PM
alain benoit wrote:Super nice Terry.
I love that car.
Alain

Thanks!

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Friday, March 11, 2016 4:57 AM
looks great, sounds great. awesome car. i cant wait to hear the sound of crickets chirping up here in wisconsin. its been a long although pretty mild winter here and we are getting anxious to get the hawk and vert out of storage.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search