What is the secret? - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What is the secret?
Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:37 PM
Paul if I go to the junkypile this week(maybe) I could grab some front strut bolts and nuts if you like.I am not sure this early in the week but,I do need to make a run looking for some other items.Either way I will keep in mind to grab some as all the first gens use the same stuff and seconds on the general hardware when ever I can make time to go.Ok RoN

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:45 AM
Thanks Ron-

I could definately use at least one of the nut/bolt combo.

I am currently planning to replace my driver side subframe with one off of a later car so I can use the control arm I have. If it works, I will do the other side as well.

Now I just need some time...

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:26 PM
Alright and I checked the salvage yard inventory very low on the choics mostly 2nd gens but I doubt Friday will be my time to go as I figured working on two or three other projects to be DONE by thurs!My list is going to get knocked down one step at a time.

Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:30 PM
Started working on the leaking wheel cylinder on the driver side today. Will have to replace the w/c and the hardline. The good news is that they have the copper double bubble line in stock and the right size for this application. I will post some links to before and after pics:

Before 1

Before 2

Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:35 PM

Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:40 PM
Looks kinda a mess in there from the leaking.I have no idea when I will make time to accomplish my rear components.But I can assure it everything will be brand new,as I have the stuff just no enough time to jump on it.Continue on with the fun there.

Friday, July 04, 2014 6:36 PM
Progress...

Pre-Fab copper line and wheel cylinder installed. I wish I had the copper option for the last 10 brake jobs I did. I was even able to use the factory retainer clip. Waiting on new springs for the parking brake. Those were a little harder to source this time around...

Should be together tomorrow - at least the back half.

Sunday, July 06, 2014 7:42 AM
All done - at least with the brake part of this project

Now back to the regularly scheduled cv axle project...

Sunday, July 06, 2014 11:13 PM
Good fun that looked to be.I hope to get some of my list conquered this week I hope.

Saturday, August 02, 2014 1:43 PM
*UPDATE*

Cleaned up the old control arm and re-installed. I was able to get the strut bolt out with the crushed threads. Gonna go shopping at parts galore for one. We might be on the road soon. I have to finish up the bird so I can get on to my Camaro projects. Old Rule - only one project car down at a time...

Saturday, August 02, 2014 6:28 PM
Went to Parts Galore and got the bolt. It is amazing how many different strut bolts there are on GM FWD cars. I found and 88 Sunbird and it worked. Got it for free with my admission price. The downside, I found a bunch of other Camaro stuff - no first gens at all this trip.

Saturday, August 02, 2014 11:59 PM
Cool I was so busy with that buick Skyhawk I had no time to even get really anything outside the car.

Sunday, August 03, 2014 3:35 PM
ok, so I get the cars tires aired up and fill the trans to the fill mark on level ground. I start her up and back out of the garage, like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon . I gently run her around the block three times forward/back, adjusting the brakes making sure everything is as it should be. Shifts like a dream. Stopped, let idle for a while - no leaks.

I had big plans for going out to a cruise tonight. I walk out to the driveway and get ready to go and there is a big puddle of brand new 5w30 on the ground and the trans dipstick is down. I run my hand under the freshly replaced seal and it is dry. There is about a 3/4 inch gap between the big part of the axle and the seal - is this normal spacing?

It held fluid overnight and after driving. I will put it up on stands sometime. I am kinda ticked off right now so I just per her back in the garage.

Anyone else run into anything like this? First CV Axle replacement - sorry.

Sunday, August 03, 2014 3:35 PM
Sunday, August 03, 2014 10:22 PM
No pic shown there.As for the spacing idk as I would need to visually check sunny to verify.I will say on my nephews car I had zero issues with any leaks after swapping axles?So maybe I will think on it as I just had a long day driving and will check sunny tonight on that gap deal or snap a pic to show.Ok I feel your aggravation trust me as I keep up several rides myself and deal with drama all the time.

Monday, August 04, 2014 6:22 PM
Paul the picture is not available. Interested to see exactly what you have for spacing.

Monday, August 04, 2014 6:34 PM
The link is to Paul's Facebook page and that is probably why you folks don't see it.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 6:02 AM
How about now?

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 9:45 PM
Nice pic and just on my quick check the other nite super tired mines about a 1/2 inch out from the seal.I am just wiped out tonight being well tired.I will measure mine weds when I am UP and not drained.I took some pics using my flashlight and those turned out kind of bad and may refocus and do the open hood look down pic with more light!Just for thought it might be it is seated but not all the way(however) I will not say that is the case for your ride specific as each car has it's own unique thing on fitment sometimes.

Friday, August 08, 2014 4:53 AM
I will put it on ramps tomorrow and see what is up. It would be really nice if it was a loose drain plug, but that is not really this car's style...

Saturday, August 09, 2014 6:20 PM
Well, quite a day...

I checked the oil in the trans and it was just under the full line. I had the car out for about an hour. It was great.

I brought it back and parked it and it started leaking right away. I went to move it back into the garage and it would not start. I check the battery and it is at 10.76v - ugh.

After charging and moving up on ramps - we are leaking from the new seal - no question on that. Any tips to be found on seal installs? I just tapped it in with a mallet and installed the axle... It seemed easy enough...

Looks like we are sitting on the sideline for a while.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:10 AM
Paul. I know you are mechanically inclined and you probably already do this, but I use a socket to tap the seal in straight.

I never thought of it but this guy on a you tube video uses a piece of cheap Home Depot pipe the same size of the seal to tap it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H97Vh6woJ68

Sunday, August 10, 2014 1:32 PM
I know your situation is much more dramatic and has to be remedied. But thought I'd share:

Our '98 3rd Gen w/4Spd Auto has been leaking ever since we got it , not bad but aggravating. Years ago I was interested in replacing the seal and after doing a bit of research I discovered this was kind of common in J-Bodies and many owners that tried to replace their seals never rid themselves of the leak even after 3 or 4 replacements. So we just left it as it was and learned to live with it - worse part is there is no dipstick to keep an eye on the darn thing.

So at least you aren't the only one with red under your car Hahaa.....

Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:24 PM
Yep - I should have mentioned I did use a large socket with a mallet to tap that seal in. I did have quite a time getting the axle to seat so maybe it got damaged somehow. I have another seal so I can try it again. Interesting idea with the pipe.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:55 PM
I agree with john as I pondered your install on the new seal.I would have used a socket to get a good even push and try not to mush it too much.Btw is it leaking from the edges or the area where the shaft goes into the seal itself.I think when I do mine I am coating the edges that touch the trans not the area where the shaft goes thru with some permatex the right stuff very lightly to ensure NO leaks from the edges as this seals well everything chemically.This is the area mine leaks from now.Not the hole for the axle shaft so much.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search