Got a great deal on a 87 Cavalier Convertible RS & need help. - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Got a great deal on a 87 Cavalier Convertible RS & need help.
Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:10 PM
So got to playing with the car some more yesterday and found out I have an injector that is bad and it was shorting the yest of the system out.... I unplugged it and the car runs great.. well besides the skipping on one cylinder. So I am going to put a injector in it and see what happens next.
5 injectors read 12.8ohms and one reads 2.5ohms and when you tap it with a hammer the meter jumps.

Friday, August 01, 2014 9:34 PM
Well my next suggestions were to check the ohms on each injector and or replace your fuel pressure regulator as I pondered this and asked my engine friends before hand making this suggestion.Nice!

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:15 AM
Fuel pressure regulator is working like it should. I replaced the injector yesterday and the car runs beautiful... Also my dad and I put a flow master 40 series on it so it runs good and sounds good now. Its funny how my main problem was a bad injector... It caused so many weird symptoms and caused so much anger lol. The car is getting 19mpg right now so I guess everything is almost working. I do know in the mornings or the first crank up of the day I have to let it warm up to drive it or I have to play with the throttle to keep it running.. I have put over 100 miles on the car and I have no CEL so I don't know whats causing the sluggish throttle on first start. Might just put a IAC sticking or something. I don't now. So far I have 200 dollars in the car itself which came with new tires and a freshly rebuilt suspension. and I have 300 dollars in parts. so for 500 Dollars I think I am doing great!

Video I have here don't sound all that great so ill have to take a better video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=728296880540085&set=vb.100000793395856&type=2&theater

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:17 AM
Sweet looking ride man, and the price was right!!

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:12 PM
That sounds pretty darn good imo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At some point you might consider dropping the fuel tank and replace your fuel pump as just with the age I imagine your strainer is probably pretty nasty.If I were you I would also replace the fuel sending unit at the same time just due to age since you have the whole ordeal out (I know I would) as I already conquered that a couple months back.Still nice info matthew and glad the low cost car is finally working smooth.R

Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:27 PM
I was driving the car about a week ago and went on a 60 mile trip to my cousin house. Right when I got to 40 miles out the car started to cut in and out every few minutes and got more often as I drove. It finally got to where it sounded like it was staving for fuel or something and I have alot of popping and backfiring and oh god it sounded bad. If I let it idle it'll run fine. Well first thing I thought was the fuel pump was going. Thankfully I had a fuel pressure gauge on me and It showed 48psi. Anyways I let the car sit over night and the next morning it fired up just fine. I went to drive home and right when I got around 35 miles out the car started to act up again. Cutting in and out. I hooked up a scanner to the car when I managed to get it home and I had 1.16V on my TPS at WOT. So I bought another TPS to put on the car and it said the same thing, also my temp sensor on the scanner it saying 249 degrees and I know the car aint that hot. Might also be why my cooling fan is also on now, even when the car is cold and I crank it up the fan is on wide open. This started to happen the last time I had problems with the car. Anyways the car has gotten so bad that even when you crank it up cold it cutting in and out and if you hit the car it chokes and pops and it just sounds terrible. I checked all my grounds and connections to all the sensors. Everything looks good so the only thing I can come up with right now is when I had a fuel injector shorting out it fried my new ECM. You can slap the ECM right now and get the sensors to start reading right to the scanner. I am swapping my ECM for another under warranty and hopefully that will fix my problem. I should have my new ECM here Tuesday so wish me luck. I have got to where I am scared to drive the car now.

Sunday, August 31, 2014 11:17 PM
I am pretty tired and lacking a good nite sleep from sat.I would at least replace the temp coolant sender for starters.I will reread when I am not sooo tired as this clearly affect my thoughts to suggest a solid tip.

Monday, September 01, 2014 6:38 AM
Car sounds great!

Monday, September 01, 2014 7:49 PM
Similar symptoms? Perhaps the same problem? Another injector shorting out?

Friday, September 05, 2014 9:07 PM
Three ECM's 5 hours of ground and wiring check later. The car runs now. well kinda. Now my ICM is showing all the classic signs of failure. I took it to Advance auto parts and had it tested. Came up BAD. Hopefully this will fix my problem and I can drive my car!!! I should have one in a few days.

Saturday, September 06, 2014 3:50 AM
Re-reading back through your thread I see this car has had a teenagers appetite for electronics.

If this car starts acting up after your ECM replacement this time I would suggest considering another wiring harness. No vehicle ought to be eating up electronic components like this. Given the history you've shared on this thread I have little faith this replacement is going to eliminate your woes, unfortunately. I'd also recommend a new alternator along with the harness as well.

Seems your Great Deal has been a Major Headache!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search