Bad ground? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad ground?
Sunday, May 22, 2022 5:37 PM
I’m noticing that my gas guage works one min then pegs past full next. Also radio turns on but sounds like it struggles for power. Could these issues be because of a bad ground?

Re: Bad ground?
Thursday, June 30, 2022 8:41 AM
Just checked in yesterday June 29 on the site.Something I may have to dig into or think on.But just a simple check is while the car is running try to Lightly wiggle your actual igniton key cylinder and see IF that causes the issue.Plus what year is your car and model just for info .Could be your grounds at the batter to fender weld LHS cable to inner fender .OK Ron

Sunday, August 14, 2022 5:50 PM
Its an 1984 j2000 convertible.
Thursday, August 18, 2022 6:43 PM
I also have an '84 but just the base coupe.

I can't comment on your exact symptoms , but I sure can testify as to the grounding issues.

I completed a head job a number of years ago and discovered many many ground connections along the way. Upon completion I missed bolting one of them to the engine
( buried amongst the wiring harnesses) and I had a horrendous mess of symptoms!

As old as these vehicles are it wouldn't hurt to chase down as many grounds as you can find and clean them up.

Also don't be surprised if your Oil Pressure Sending Switch decides to leak out of the blue one day. It is not a deal breaker unless you've got an automatic transaxle - then it becomes a test of your religion due to the clearances involved. Same goes for the !$#*@% Starter too! I used the excuse to run a mechanical gauge for the oil. These cars have a lot of room to work around under the hood for most anything else I've had to do though. Has been a fun little car to run around in and easy on gas.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search