did any 1st gens come with a front bench seat? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
did any 1st gens come with a front bench seat?
Friday, January 04, 2008 4:07 PM
im guessing the cimarron would be my best bet for this.....but did any 1st gens come with a front bench seat?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 04, 2008 4:08 PM

coming back in 2008...

Re: did any 1st gens come with a front bench seat?
Friday, January 04, 2008 6:05 PM
iirc a cimeran (sp) did and that's it.

watch for flying sparks!!!
Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:46 AM
yeah thats what i thought too....but i tried looking for some pics and couldnt find any.

coming back in 2008...
Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:03 PM
I thought the Cimarron only came with leather buckets.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/distantreality
http://www.fecklessthings.com
Monday, January 07, 2008 2:12 PM
That would be a negative. All J-cars have a console shifter/buckets.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 8:56 PM
well damn

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:10 AM
Might want to look at the fitment of an A-body (Cutlass Ciera, 6000, Celebrity) bench seat. A bit wider than a J, but might work for what you're doing...which is what exactly?

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:12 PM
im kickin around the idea of a bench seat for my car. i prefer the cruiser look and feel and i think a bench seat would be nice. now obviously there would be a few things to this. for starters, i would have buckets also so i could swap em in and out whenever. second, i would probably need one that had a smaller center section due to the shifter/ebrake. i just thought if one came stock in a J that would make for the easiest swap. but i guess ill have to try another route. maybe an s10?

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:26 PM
i think a yoda or a hardbody nissan would be your best bet narrow and low to the floor. also just delete your e brake that would make it so much easier.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:57 PM
sorry....i can only use universal, application specific, or GM parts. no imports or ford/mopar crap. keepin this car ALL GM with my modded and swapped parts.

btw...what are you doin in the 1st gen forum? lol

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:53 PM
it was on the main page

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:53 AM
(tabs) wrote:im kickin around the idea of a bench seat for my car. i prefer the cruiser look and feel and i think a bench seat would be nice. now obviously there would be a few things to this. for starters, i would have buckets also so i could swap em in and out whenever. second, i would probably need one that had a smaller center section due to the shifter/ebrake. i just thought if one came stock in a J that would make for the easiest swap. but i guess ill have to try another route. maybe an s10?

After a bit of research, most compact/subcompact FWD GMs throughout history have come with buckets/consoles. All the info I could find for the X, L and N platforms looks like they're all buckets/consoles. However, many of the drivelines from the A bodies are identical to the options in early J bodies (specifically the TH125/3T40 transmission. Based upon this, you'll likely be able to hybridize/bastardize a setup using either the entire steering column from the A body, or using the upper portion of the A column with the lower portion of the J column, depending on the shaft length/dimensions. This will net you a column shifter setup, albiet without shift indicator and capabilities for Passlock (another disaster waiting to happen). You could also probably fab up an e-brake pedal setup using N body parts and modified cable lengths.

As for the actual seat, no idea. Start taking measurements of old Cadillacs, Novas, A-bodies, W-bodies, etc. Given the dimensions of a J-car, I don't think you could fit a full bench plus the console shifter (probably why GM didn't offer it in a car smaller than a Lumina).

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:09 PM
zline: instead of trying to hack everything up that much and make a column shifter, i think im gonna hedge my bets and look for a bench that i can use. like i mentioned, i know a handful of trucks with 5speeds had the U in the middle so im gonna try to find that. if i cant get one, maybe i can make one. that would be much easier and preferable to messing with fabbing up a whole new system.

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 11, 2008 6:06 AM
Bah...just take the easy way out, why don't you?

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:19 AM
well i just dont think id like a column shifter much at all. and with me keeping buckets for interchangeability, i dont think it would go with that aspect well at all.

plus, yeah, im a lazy ass. the car has too far to go w/o taking on such a huge project like that.
thanks for the ideas though!

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 11, 2008 2:05 PM
I was going to suggest the pickups. But again, unfortunately, the imports are probably a better choice. I suppose you could call a Luv a Chevy. The other option might be a 4 dr Vega. Problem is, most bench seats won't fold forward and that sucks in a 2 dr car.
-->Slow
Monday, January 14, 2008 6:19 AM
Just thought of this one.....how about a Chevette?

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:47 AM
chevette would work. its a bench? im not too familiar with them. but that sounds like it would be the perfect size.

time to check out ebay. thanks.

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:46 PM
I think all chevettes came with buckets too.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/distantreality
http://www.fecklessthings.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search