Engine resto/intake gasket job - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine resto/intake gasket job
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:50 PM
Ok here is all my hard work starting to pay off. I used a sand blaster on the oil pan/ valve cover and wanted to show this b4 I installed it on how clean I got these along with the polishing the valves up and the new low gloss blk paint (duplicolor eng paint) everything was scrubbed primed/painted.So after like I don't know how many wks I have got it to almost ready to start installing everything and the machine shop fixed my intake( I messed up a freeze plug) and I will post pics of ALL of this but,here is the beginning.

Re: Engine resto/intake gasket job
Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:21 PM
Right on.

Friday, July 04, 2008 8:45 PM
Ok guys I have worked on this joker the last several days doing the SMALL stuff which is not so small.I have put new loom or conduit on the starter wiring and made a change on the power wires going to the big post on the starter and added a copper plate and bent it back to get it further away from the exh man ( it was way to close in my opinion).The intake install is next with a new gasket,new coil,and lots of reassemble time.I will post a pic of my starter altercation to much better this wkend to see if u see the benefit as I do.I work on this if I get home early from driving the big truck time has been tight lately,so I do what I can being it is in my garage.Thats the latest.

Monday, July 07, 2008 7:28 PM
Sweet!

Gotta love the details...

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:40 AM
POR-15

FTW.

Srsly.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:12 PM
Well I have the alternator installed exhaust man on,and All the starter wiring done,loom tie wrap etc.I have loads of pics just want to wait and load them all at once on the comp to post up new stuff.I am going to replace the intake bolts and studs bought the wrong size got standard (oops on my part) there freakin metric going to napa for those.So pretty much the intake is last part coil, remount the distrib, and loose ends then coolant and etc.I worked this wk on the small things and trying to wrap up it,to maybe fire it up next wk depending on my time avail.The oil pan gasket was a biatch comes in 4 pieces and I will not even bother on the install specifics.Later I will but,thats the lastest.

Friday, July 18, 2008 9:12 PM
Here are some pics of the finished work.One is of the starter and oil pan and I used a copper bar to move the wiring farther away from the heat and was so easy to do,not to mention better than it was.Also is a pic of the intake polished up.Basically I have to do the intake install, pwr strg pump, distrib, new gasket on tbi and hook up vac lines and all the extras which I will not list the little things etc.I will do finishing this up.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:22 PM
Update on the car,I have been pretty much putting off the car lately.I have had other prioritiesand being the cav is not my norm daily,I am finally going to get this wrapped up sept 1.So plans are to get this done and stepped up the oil to royal purple being the product is great and hopefully get the cooling system flushed and etc.Once I complete this my new axles are next and will not take nearly the time to complete.I am so slack but,we all know how things tie us up and can't focus on projects that are resto and not a daily driver.Pics will follow completion.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:28 PM
Update got the car all back together.Now the crappy part go to start the car,nothing.I am not surprised the starter to the best of my checks bit the dust.Had juice fully charged battery and everything was double checked fuses,and fusible links.The starter was no suprise but,SUCKED to be ready to start it up and flush the cooling system and be done with this job.The starter has had subtle issues the last 6 months occassionly just delaying to start on not wanting to engage.So basically the issue I need the cash to buy a new starter.So money is holding up my next step which are the brand new reman left/right axles and input shaft seal job that's my next project.I need to win the freaking lottery.Uh like everyone

Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:24 PM
Ok short of it things are done with the job and posted pics on cardomain page 14 ronsoldcav if I do not get them posted b4 u read this.I will try to get them up soon just working 3rd shift I do not always jump on here during the day.It is cherry and the pics do not show how kick azz it turned out overall and the camera can't show the back of the block like I wanted but,you all get the picture on the overall finished product.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:00 AM
Looks good Ron! Clutch on my truck bit the dust last night

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 7:15 PM
Nice work Ron. Now I know where to send my parts for cleaning :-) I hope your car has a manual tranny because getting to that starter with an automatic is a right pain in the a$$.
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:36 PM
Well removing the starter is easy on my 4spd manual.U have like 3-4 bolts nuts whatever to remove and support bar going from the AC compressor to the starter is pie.Takes about 10 minutes to pull out.I do not know how the auto version is worse being the mount area should be about the same granted there may be some extras there but simple.I swear this starter was heavy as shiat for a 4 cydlr eng compared to my pu (mazda 87 with a 4clydr).The best thing I did was using the copper bar to move the heavy gauge wire back away from the heat from the exh man great idea if u ever have to replace the starter or just want to improve design of hook up.Thanks for the reply.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:44 PM
Sounds like a completely different layout from what I have. The starter on my car is located in-between the engine and firewall. With an automatic tranny, it is nearly impossible to get to because there is no way to reach around the tranny to get to the starter without removing the intake. Anyhow, good to hear that GM did make it easy for some cars :-)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search