Plastic welding? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Plastic welding?
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:06 PM
I've been looking into building a kit for the front of my car cause nobody sells them cause I have the first gen sunbird front end (which I love ) and I was always thinking of going the fiberglass route since I'm pretty good with it, but when I mentioned it to one of the mechanics were I work he mentioned a kit you can get that welds plastic, urethane, etc back together, for when you tear a bumper or something. And I really want to have my front bumper in urethane. I have a phase 1 Z24 front bumper that I'm planning on fusing to my current factory bumper and doing a few modifications to make it look better, and I want to put the Z24 bumper as low as my side skirts so it lines up nice to (duh). But I have no idea were to start with plastic welding, has anyone else ever heard of it? does anyone knoe were I could get a kit or make one, or just know anything about what I need to fuse two urethane bumpers together?
thanks

Re: Plastic welding?
Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:41 AM
Someone has to know?????

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 8:59 PM
At the Autozones in the US, they have an epoxy called "The Plastic Welding System" If need be, I can buy you a pack and ship it, as long as you get your arse online so we can talk about that wheel!!!

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:56 AM
Yeah, I'll try to get online sometime, I'm not on as often anymore cause racing season is starting soon and I'm busy gettin my car ready.
thanks for the input, is it just like a glue that bonds urethane or what?
And have you gotten those pieces I sent you a while ago?

Thursday, February 10, 2005 11:48 AM
Never got the pieces, dude...

this glue is supposed to be able to bond any plastic to another, or most any other matieral (steel, metal, etc....)

Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:12 PM
So its like a paste that hardens and pretty much becomes urethane or plastic? I just wana know if I put it over a seem and let it harden it will be just like the urethane and I can sand it down smooth.

thats weird about your package, cause I sent that a while ago it should have gotten there by now. I have some spare pieces just like the ones I sent you that I took of another parts car I had, I could try it again if you want. It wasnt that expensive to ship cause there so light

Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:18 PM
Due it in fiberglass, fiberglass is easier to fix. The epoxy is hard and cracks easily. I had them mold my front razzi kit to my stock bumper and they used that @!#$ and the first curb I tapped it all cracked...

Custom is the only way!
Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:23 PM
I wasnt planning on using just that to hold it on I was going to poprivet the two bumpers together to hold them together I mostly want the plastic welding stuff to seal the seem were the two bumpers meet, just to make it look good, and I want to fill in the seem on my phase 2 Z24 kit, I just wanna make the black strip on the kit to be gone, or just a small bump to make it look better. So I need this stuff to fill in all that and then I'm going to sand it smooth

Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:42 PM
Yeah, I guess you could try sending it to me again...

Thursday, February 10, 2005 3:12 PM
Urethane welders typically run between 75 and 150 USD.

Friday, February 11, 2005 6:19 PM
they have this stuff called jb weld it's like the strongest glue ive seen it bonds plastic together when it cures its harder than the actual plastic. it only comes in small tubes so i dont think it would be practical to use. but it is strong
Friday, February 11, 2005 6:33 PM
I've heard about JB weld a lot but never seen or used it, I hear its good stuff.
89Sunbird, I'll send you another package then, I'll check my local auto parts stores first to see if they have anything similar to what your talking about, if not could you send me a tube

Monday, February 14, 2005 4:21 PM
89 and mr, if you guys are shipping between countries you might want to check on duties ect before you go sending another package, the package might just be stuck at customs..

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Monday, February 14, 2005 5:06 PM
jb weld will work. i used it to fix the cracks in the front ground-effect piece on my dodge shadow es. that stuff works good and it is paintable if u smooth it down right

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Monday, February 14, 2005 8:44 PM
Well, a ways back I sent Tyrin a package, he got it like a week or two later no prob...he sent me this stuff MONTHS ago...

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:08 AM
Yeah, I send this a long time ago like before winter......it cant take that long to get through customs, I'll just send it again like I said before caus eit wasnt that expensive to do so its no big deal

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:49 AM
I really appreciate it, man! You want me to buy a bottle of that stuff and send it your way?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:58 AM
I'm going to see if they have any of it around here first. If not I'll let you know

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:37 AM
k

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search