Wiring Q? - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Wiring Q?
Friday, February 11, 2005 1:45 PM
+12V DC Battery(Constant) Orange

Switched Accessory Yellow

Ground Black

Power Antenna Pink

Illumination Brown

Dimmer Gray

Left Front + Tan

Left Front - Gray

Right Front + Lt.green

Right Front - Dk.green

Left Rear + Brown

Left Rear - Yellow

Right Rear + Dk.blue

Right Rear - Lt.blue

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!

Friday, February 11, 2005 2:02 PM
Thanks that'll save me the trial and error method.
I was looking at the harness that goes into the back of my tape player, were I wnated my CD palyer to be wired to and there arent enough wires there to do it, I have to wire the CD player into the wireing that goes into the back of the factory radio. If someone knows or has anyways of how I can wire up my CD player like a factory one it would realy help. If not I'm going to have to remove the factory radio to wire up my CD player, then I'll have this big hole in my dash and I'd need something cool to cover it, like a GPS system but seriously......I've seen speakers in there before and I dont want to do that, I've seen pontiac logos to , but I want something nobodys done before, or at least something functional, and no I dont want guages there, any ideas?
I'd really like to figure out the how to wire up my CD player to the tape player wiring, there has to be a way to do it........theres eight wires in the tape player harness and you need eight wires for all the speakers, so I wonder if maybe one of the wires also works as power to the tape player or something.
Can anyone help? I really want to get this is soon but I want to keep my factory radio, or atleast have something cool to replace it, but I cant think of anything.

Friday, February 11, 2005 5:54 PM
Mr.Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Cavaliers are split up into phase's Phase 1 is 88-90 and Phase 2 is 91-94, the tails in your pick are from a phase 1 cavy. Shaving a trunk isnt that hard if you have acess (sp?) to a welder, or you could just somehow get the sheet metal were you want it with poprivets or something and the fiberglass over the seam between the metal and the trunk, as for the turbo swap, I'm not getting the parts until April cause I'm getting them all at that $45 all you can carry thing thats why I made that other post about the wiring cause I need to get all I need at once and if I miss something I'm screwed, well not really I could fabricate the missing part depending on what it was or I would have to find another turbo car for parts. So I reall want to get it all at once, I'm also looking for a T-3 turbo, intercooler and a few other parts, and once I've gatered all I need and get my spare head P&P then I'll put it al together at once and the car will be super fast
I am also rebuilding the motor so I want to get everything I need first then once its all together, spend a weekend swaping engines and trans, I'll have everything ready to go in for the swap before I do it which wont be until around May. I've also found a easy way to put rear disc brakes on a J, it the easiest thing in the world if it all works out right, I'm not saying anything about it until I'm done cause I wanna be the first, but then I'll post up a how to so everyone else can do it, I cant believe nobody else thought of it before me, its so simple, pretty much a bolt on rear disc from a certian car from the autowreckers
Wow another long post whats with this thread, lol

Well, I'm not that ignorant I know about the phases I just never was certain on which were which. But I had thought I knew and turned out I was right. I like the phase one better. I figured I'd talk to my body shop guys and see how they'd feel about welding the sheet metal in and doing the work for me and at the same time I might discuss some sort of ''sponsorship'' type thing. If they're interested in the idea and would like to start doing things like that, because I dont' think they've had many custom jobs in the 3 years they've been at location, it might be something new for them to venture out on and that's how I'm gonna sell it. The turbo, I'd get it all together myself before I got ready to drop it in. I'm a be prepared kinda guy. and I tend to take care of the hard things first. I've also got the same plans for a 5 speed tranny swap .... but both my engine and trans swaps will be long down the road. Annnnnd I hate to do it, but I might have to semi-rain on your parade.... actually, I believe the rear disc conversion has been done to a second gen. I won't promise you but for some reason I have a vague memory of seeing it done once. But since nobody else is readying this thread, lol, if you don't say anything neither will I and you can be the first in our eyes. ;D
If you have room for some phase I outter tails buddy, grab them for me, granted they're not beat to shi+

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Friday, February 11, 2005 6:10 PM
I know a rear disc conversion has been done before and you can but kits for the third gens to do it but there over a thousand dollars, The guy who did it on a second gen had to change his rear bolt pattern to 5 x 115 and do alot of custom work to the rear axel to make it work, I think I found a way to do it with out any fabrication, welding etc... just a few wreches and some time out of your day. I'm still debating on telling everyone or not once I know it works (I'm almost 100% sure it will but I want to try it first) I'll let you know how to do it, but I kinda wanna keep it between a few people other wise we might have everyone doing it. There is just one piece I'm not sure about, but if it dosent work I can easily fabricate one, and if I have to fabricate a piece, its free for me to do it and I'm sure the pieces are light so if you want the custom part I could ship it to you, but I'm pretty sure we wont need to do any of that
have you got any ideas on my hole in the dash? what I really want to do is put some kind of navigation system in there like gps or something, but its to expensive there all over ebay cause lots of cars come with them factory.

Friday, February 11, 2005 6:33 PM
actually, I have a few ideas for the hole in the dash but I won't be doing that til later either... they're all complicated thoughts that would require a bit of fabrication which probably won't mount to anything. we are probably talking about the same guy that did the conversion... cause I remember he had to change the bolt pattern. you don't need to leak out any of your ideas where you don't want to, I admire and respect that. but the fact that you offered me the heads up on your first of a kind mod makes me

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:37 AM
I just thought of something cool to fill the hole that I might try, what about one of those screens with a little drawing of a car on it and if a doors open the door lights up red. that would be diffrent, and it would have a purpose. I'm still going to try and thing of aomething better, but I might do that with a row of four or five switches that light up along the bottom.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:32 AM
finnaly some decent weather I'll get at least one box done and get a pic up, hopefully today. I also got another question, just out of curiousity: what would happen if I grounded my anttena wire on my cd player? would it just use the car as one big antena? Just curious cause I shaved my antenna and just tucked it up in the fender and it still works just as good so I was wondering if I'd get better reception using the car cause that kinda what I think its doing cause the antenna is inside and against my metal fender.
any more ideas on what to put in the spot were the radio was?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:28 PM
what's up tyrin... glad to here the weather has cleared up for you... man it's BEAUTIFUL here. the past three days have been most graciously excellent and I've done a few little fix me ups to my car myself (seeing as how this was my first couple of days off where it hasn't been raining). the antenna... anywhere you ground it with a good solid surface, you're gonna have the same good outcome the radio hole in the dash... I thought you weren't taking it out? well, the best, and most simple idea I came up with wasn't such an original one. Using it as a guage pod has been over done, but I was considering just putting switches there myself, like three of them. probably my neons and and fog lights. speaking of switches, I really need new headlight and windshield wiper switches... and the housing to them too. My wipers will come on at random moments when I hit slight bumps, holes or the right vibrations from my subs. It's been quite annoying but it's been that way for a while now. and the headlight switch is just becoming loose... and I can't have that. my closest scrap yard is just such a drive and I hate to waste a lovely day off like today to go jack some switches. man I'm lazy on my off days.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:34 PM
every time I get time to work on my car its raining and I decided to take out teh stock radio and put something else in there, but today i decided to finnish wiring up the cd player inside the car and now I'm so confused and frustrated.............. I unpluged the plug on the back of the radio and looked at the wires for it and I'm missing alot of them, I have everything but the wires that go out for the speakers, but there is two extra wires in the plug that arent mentioned above by Patty A. the two unknown wires are dark purple and green, I also noticed there is a space in the back of the radio for another plug, but I cant find it and were. so how do the speakers get there power? Are the two unknown wires + and - for every speaker? I'm so confused now and to top it off I was looking around under my dash trying to find the missing plug for the back of the radio and I unpluged something and I dont know were it came from.......its a black plug with two wires comming from it a purple one and a bright green one. does anyone know were this goes?
thanks

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:49 PM
like before I said, I can't really tell ya without actually being there doing it, maybe someone else can. But, with that said I'll also say this, sometimes not all wires are necessary. wish I could help better buddy.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:53 AM
I dont get it cause there has to be some way for the radio to give power for the speakers, I'll try hooking a speaker up to the two mystery wires and see what happens.
but I'm still confused with were my other plug went, please help

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:02 AM
Quote:

I'd really like to figure out the how to wire up my CD player to the tape player wiring, there has to be a way to do it........theres eight wires in the tape player harness and you need eight wires for all the speakers, so I wonder if maybe one of the wires also works as power to the tape player or something.

The "radio" in the dash isn't the radio, of course. It's only a control head. And the CD or tape player isn't designed to be used independently. It works with the tuner/ amplifier unit.

The wiring color code posted at the top of this page is correct for speakers, power, &etc. Wires between the amp or control head have different functions. They may not even be listed in most service manuals since "repair" would consist of replacing the short harness they're contained in.

If you want to tie the CD player into the factory system, you could connect the CD player output wiring to the speaker wiring. You would have to shut off the factory radio whenever the CD unit is playing; it wouldn't be automatic like it is with the factory tape player.

You could also find an old Toyota 4X4 wagon in the junkayrd and get the "turn and bank" indicator from the dash.
I'm not sure what the real name of the gauge is, but it shows when the vehicle is level (Top of dash, center, two "gauges" on the RH side). It's kind of cool to try and corner hard enough to fool that box into thinking the car is tipping over. Then again, with those old wagons, the car usually was tipping over.

-->Slow
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:43 AM
Quote:

If you want to tie the CD player into the factory system, you could connect the CD player output wiring to the speaker wiring. You would have to shut off the factory radio whenever the CD unit is playing; it wouldn't be automatic like it is with the factory tape player.

I decided not to go with the factory system anymore, you said above I just need to wire my cd player out put wiring to my speaker wiring, but my hole problem is I cant find my speaker wiring, thats what I'm asking.......Were is my speaker wiring? cause its not pluged into the back of the radio.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:51 AM
O yeah, I kinda like the ida of having one of those tip over guage things in my dash since I solo/autocross my car so I do alot of hard cornering, I wonder if I can just use the middle guage, I'll keep an eye out for one of those, thanks

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:55 PM
VICTORY!! I figured it out and got the cdplayer installed and working I was thinking about what slowolej said and he was right, the radio is a silver box in the dash behind the controls for it. I unpluged a plug from it and it had all the wires I need so I wired it all up and it worked thanks for all your help everyone
Now that I'm getting good weather I'll have pics of my boxes soon, I also got some work done on them today and there almost done.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:57 PM
O yeah, and onother thing (sorry for the quadrupal post, what a wast of posts) I never hooked up the grey and brown wires, it said there for interior lights and dimming, so this is going to sound dumb, but what are they for?........like why do the interior lights need to go through the radio?
thanks

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:03 PM
glad someone else could help ya tyrin. they're for the low amp dims behind the dash of it all I believe. I wish I could have said it like he did. buuuuut atleast you got it all smoothed out. lol... is this thread officially over?

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:54 AM
lol, not yet I still have to post pics of my speaker box, weather is looking good again today so I will have them done today and probobly have pics up
I figured out the two wires I never hooked up just light up the radio when you turn on your interior lights and dims the lights on the radio when you dim the interior lights. I'll use those wires to light up what ever it is I put in that hole, so that way it will dim down with the rest of my interior.
so sometime today or if not then tommorow I will have pics up of my speaker box an then this thread can die.

Friday, February 18, 2005 2:54 PM
I've been having some really crappy weather the last two days, its getting cold outside again and wer got snow that was blowing around like nuts. I finnished building my two boxes inside my house and got the program for my camera back on the computer, so the first chance I get I'll be outside putting in my speakers and getting some pics up

Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:40 AM
Here is a link to the page with the pics
They didnt come out very good but you can still see everything, I'm going to wrap the boxes in the same carpet as the trunk soon so it matches, I like the look of these boxes, I only took pics of the driver side one cause my trunk was to full of crap to put the other one in right now, lol you'll see what I mean. The only thing I dont like about them is the speaker seems kinda small with all that space around it.........O well once I put carpet on the boxes it will look much better and maybe the seaker wont seem so small anymore
Heres the link: http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/hannah_hall_racing/host.html

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:08 PM
caught the pics tyrin... what size are those speakers again? either way, the boxes look good.... or box I should say. let's see the finished product soon buddy. I wish I had some carpet to redo my trunk with... since my trunk was never carpeted. like I said, that'll be a small project on the bottom of the list. gettin my kit soon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search