CAI for 2nd Gens - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: CAI for 2nd Gens
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:31 PM
anything modified to a higher standard of stock will perform better, whether you notice it or not. A 2-cycle lawnmower engine would perform better with colder air flow.
seriously, grow up.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:09 PM
don't mowers already have cold air being as there exposed? lol

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:24 PM
lol.. well when I was writing that I was thinkin of riding lawn mowers, but yes, indeed.

tiff tiff.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:59 AM
arch wrote:
seriously, grow up.

Don't get all excitied. I'm just telling you how pointless a Cold Air Intake setup is for that motor...you don't wanna believe me, go waste your time and money. (or your parents money)
Throw a cold Air intake on that slow ass TBI motor...maybe get a low 17 second car outta it. While you're doing things that probably won't make the car faster, throw on a huge wing, a muffler, and lower it.

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52
Full Interior...3-Speed Automatic.

Satisfied Customer of:
POWERSHOP PORTING SERVICE
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:10 AM
slowbirdx2 wrote:
arch wrote:
seriously, grow up.

Don't get all excitied. I'm just telling you how pointless a Cold Air Intake setup is for that motor...you don't wanna believe me, go waste your time and money. (or your parents money)
Throw a cold Air intake on that slow ass TBI motor...maybe get a low 17 second car outta it. While you're doing things that probably won't make the car faster, throw on a huge wing, a muffler, and lower it.

calm down there buddy, first off, I'm not some teenage wannabe who gets kabillions of dollars from their parents to throw at a car however I want. In fact, I despise those kids. I look ahead, purchase wisely and most of the time do all the work myself. What I'm tryin to get you to accept is just the fact anything you do to tweak any area of a motor will have a positive affect, granted maybe not a hugely noticable one but don't down someone if they wanna suck the most out of every area they want. I actually have had a cai in a 2.0 before and did notice it sucking in cooler air. perhaps not the same it would if it were a turbo, v6 or v8. all I'm tryin to say is stop attackin. this is afterall just a boddy for most of us, chill out.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:40 PM
Meh...whatever floats your boat.

Just trying to save everyone with the 2 point slow TBI motors to save their time and money for a MPFI swap or engine.
It just ain't worth it...and I'm speaking from personal TRACK experience...not your "I think it's faster now"

...and don't tell me to stop "attacking"...you started the conflict with your "grow up" comment....what does that even mean...did I call you a poopey head?

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52

Satisfied Customer of:
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 2:28 PM
alright, I'm done here.
I don't make enemies.
and I'm not here to claim
I'm better or know more than
anyone else. cause I know
Im not and dont I was was just
making a point like yourself
apologies on the grow up remark

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:36 PM
im making this statement on my 2.2L TBI and i back it 100%

Stock vs. the many of set-up's i've used...

the current Air Filter in the fender works the best. I've tried Stock with a K&N, modified air tube, the 3 inch pipe, tbi elbow with a filter mounted by raditor. Filter under bumper, and filter in fender.

The air filter on the bottom worked good untill it got half way up the raditor area. then air turned hot. equalling zero gains.

the filter in the fender is the best spot. I noticed a dramatic increse in throttle responce and a better performaning TopEnd.

Why is this? lets look at the basics...

*Cold air combust better. I don't care if you have a 1.6 OHV geo metro 3cyl. it's gonna improve your throttle responce.

* running Wide Open T/B is not only bad, not good for your motor either. The chances of catching dirt/oil/ect in your throttle body increases, and if happens can slowly be the cause of your motor's demise.

* when yes, your not gaining full potential in h/p throtle responce when your daily driving. But i found that wide open throttle and my intake set up you get to experence the gains. As it's not un-godly noticeable, you can tell by quicker acceleration. Resaon being... When driving normal roads your throtle butterfly (the flap inside it) does not magicly flow more air becuase you have a CAI/Short ram. But when wide open it is able to inject as much of air as that tube/filter set up will give it. Plus when the filter is in a cool location and it doesn't touch or pass over lots of "hot spots" on your engine, it will perform much better. DUE TO THE COLDER AIR COMBUSTING BETTER, which MAKES MORE H/P.

i backed mine up... now back yours up. and i don't wanna hear the " its a 4cyl. don't waste your time, or its n/a so its garbage" excuse. the TBI is a pretty good size, all that own/owned/seen can tell ya that. It's about the same size as a holly 2bearal carb. and the intake manifold set up is able to suck in tons of air. so really. give me a good reason why it can't work. with the right combo of mods, (i.e. good ignition, exhuast work, and the air filter) you'll see performance gains.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:25 PM
I'm not revampping to be an ass, steng, thank you.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:53 PM
n/p. just stating the Facts. not some ass hats opinion...

but being as some people are mr. drag strip and numbers they don't get to experience the full potential of there cars in a 1/4 mile...

so...

in closing...

a properly mounted cold air intake/short ram air intak on a TBI unit is fuctional regardless to what someone might say. you just have to work the kinks out. and i have done it so that others can follow. im pretty sure (at least on this fourm) i have the only passenger side fender mounted intake on a TBI.... and um... it works.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:06 AM
Thanks for the apology Arch...I'm sorry I snapped too. Like you said...just trying to share different opinions.

Now...sunvalier. Let's go over what I have said in my previous posts:

-"The TBI's cannot benefit (much) from an Air intake setup." (First post...totally legit opinion)

-"a 98 Horsepower 8.5:1 CR TBI motor won't benefit from colder air." (Second post...in a heated response to a no intelligence, unprovoked "Nough said" response)

-"Don't get all excitied. I'm just telling you how pointless a Cold Air Intake setup is for that motor." (Third post...just letting everyone know my experience)

-"Just trying to save everyone with the 2 point slow TBI motors to save their time and money for a MPFI swap or engine." (Again...just trying to save people time and money)

I'll say this again...you want to throw on a CAI onto your TBI motor. Fine! But you can't sit around and get angry at me for throwing my opinion out there. Relax! You don't like my Point of view...lets have a debate...not: "Blah blah blah...NOUGH SAID!" Thanks Fiddy.
But what do you do?...sit around call me an ass hat...and some strange comment about Mr. drag strip and numbers not getting to experience the full potential of my car in a 1/4 mile.
What does that mean?
I have a Cold Air intake...it sits inside the lower driverside fender...nice and low. I didn't throw it on and think. "Wow...I can feel the extra 5hp!"
You said you noticed...and I quote:
"a dramatic increse in throttle responce and a better performaning TopEnd."
DRAMATIC...strong word...oh wait...whats this...two paragraphs later you change your mind:
"But i found that wide open throttle and my intake set up you get to experence the gains. As it's not un-godly noticeable, you can tell by quicker acceleration." Then again...that sentence does lack proper english, it can be taken in many ways.
Maybe you can feel the car accelerate quicker...maybe you just think you can...I dunnoh.
But to sit around and fabricate your own CAI for performance reasons on a TBI 2.0L OHC motor (I don't know squat about the 2.2L OHV motor.) just seems like a waste of time and money.

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52

Satisfied Customer of:

Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:13 PM
throttle responce.

meaning you can feel the car responding better to the pressing of the accelerator.

but really notice the difference on the interstate, or wide open throttle.

"dramatic". there was a far more improvement with adding a intake set up like mine vs. stock restrictive air flow system. when you hit the gas, you can feel the motor responding better. Not like it was able to spin 2nd gear just buy adding a intake, but it did improve alot.

now thats cleared.

anything else you'd like to call me out on? i back up what i say.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search