Ugh, blinkers - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ugh, blinkers
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:02 AM
Started out flashing slowly, so i replaced the relay under the dash, didn't help. Blinkers stopped working all together, replaced blinker switch assembly. Guess what!? Flashed slow and now they just stay on!

WTF else could this be? I checked the fuse, but its good.

Ready to sell it and I've only driven it home from where I purchased it!

Re: Ugh, blinkers
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:18 PM
Don't be discuraged! Ok you said you replaced the turn signal assembly(I assume the part in the steering column).Next your car will have 2 flasher units round and clip in as you should know.Did you replaced just the signal flasher and not the four way.Next the fuse in the fuse box even though it might look fine,I would replace it(seriously) bc it can be shotty and possibley cause it to act haywire.Next I would physically check EVERY bulb and socket for corrosion,and burn marks, this will short the system.You might find the problem in A socket or several.Buy NEW bulbs all the way around and replace ANY sockets that have worn seats(the metal contacts the bulbs touch).Auto zone,napa,advance auto parts sell new sockets for GM and in stock in the electrical bulb section or in the area for HELP parts misc stuff like door handles,hinges,grommets etc.Your problem is resolvable,and yeah irritatiting I know.Just do as I suggested and check the items above and I would buy new bulbs period bc a bulb can have wear points and ground out.Ok

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:06 AM
That's going to be a lot of bulbs. LOL.

I replaced the round, 2 prong relay under the dash. I'm pretty sure it's the one that I've read about going bad.

Yes, the blinker switch assembly on the steering column was replaced.

I'll check all the bulbs, I guess.

Gonna play with it tomorrow. Thanks Ron.
Friday, July 29, 2011 4:50 PM
For anyone that comes across this looking to fix their blinkers, the flasher relay is under the dash, next to the radio, on the drivers side. Its hard to see, but its got a couple wires going to it and it is just hanging there with some other wires.

The hazard relay is the one behind the fuse box. If the flashers work, that's not it.

This should be the same for any 1991 cavalier.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Friday, July 29, 2011 8:14 PM
So did you correct the problem?I assume you replaced your hazard flasher NOT your turn signal and found it and fixed the said problem.I will assume so,being ur post above.Either way I hope my previous post helped u understand that there were 2 flasher fuses,and you located the correct item and do not want others to make the same mistake or oversight.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search