1990 Z24 3.1 Throttle problem - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1990 Z24 3.1 Throttle problem
Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:53 PM
Okay... I have the 3.1 sfi 5spd
When i drive the car for the most part it works fine. But occasionally when i try to accelerate i get a sympton similar to what i would say would be having the resonator of the car removed. The car accelerates in what feels like bursts. The revs dont jump any higher, but it doesnt accelerate as steadily as i would expect, and i worry if my clutch is going.
Just got the car second hand and im wondering if its needs a tune up. Or if it is the drivetrain. Any thoughts?

Re: 1990 Z24 3.1 Throttle problem
Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:23 PM
I do not want to over glamourize what might be something simple.I would probably just do new plugs,wires,pcv (they are often overlooked),fuel filter,and if unsure on when the last time the injectors were flushed(it might be time for that) by a shop.Now if after doing the simple items and problem persist let's pursue that later.You might want to do a new oxygen sensor not necessary,but car second hand you have no idea how old it is,and not to pricey.Ok keeping it simple.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:06 PM
Hey ron
I did my plugs and wires today along with the fuel filter and shes running better. much smoother through. Didnt bother messing withe the evap system yet because i was under time constraints.

Another question though.
I can SOMETIMES smell gas in the passenger compartment. Usually before the motor has come up to running temperature. The fuel lines look good and i dont see any clean marks on the top of the motor. Now i know you cant see the whole injector rail but i can see cylinder 5 underneth the manifold, and it looks like its in good shape. Have you heard of any common problems or do you have an idea where i could start looking? im not really interested in tearing off the manifold for no reason
Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:12 PM
The only thing that would maybe create a fuel odor is the orings on the injectors themselves.They probably are brittle and leaking enough to create the said odor .Unless your intake is leaking at the gasket,maybe but,I would be more inclined to go with injector ORINGS first.And if you do soak the orings in ATF fluid before hand so they seat correctly and do not dry up.U can just pull the injectors individually to do the orings If I am not mistaken.Tired I am but on here scrolling around with a glass of wine to chill.Long day it was work wise.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search