1988 sunbird gt gas line problems - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1988 sunbird gt gas line problems
Friday, January 27, 2012 4:13 PM
I was repairing the gas lines on my sunbird today and after repairing the rear lines and starting up the car it began leaking gas from the front of the car.The gas was leaking down quite rapidly on the front passenger side around the area under the air box. It was too long of a day to start ripping everything apart and I couldn't see where the gas was leaking from. The part that confuses me is that as far as I know the fuel lines come up on the driver side. Is there another line under the motor towards the passenger side or is it coming from somewhere else and just running along something underneath. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Re: 1988 sunbird gt gas line problems
Monday, January 30, 2012 4:07 PM
Ok so I got a chance to see where the gas is leaking from.It was leaking from the vapour canister under the intake.It leaked quite abit of gas out or their,Does anyone know what could cause this cause the car ran fine today and didn't leak? Is it possible that I mixed the vapour line up with the fuel return line?
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:30 PM
oh man, yeah sounds like thats what you did, That canister is trash now by the way.

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:47 PM
Anyone know how to tell for sure which line coming from the tank itself is the line going to the canister and which is the return?
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:00 PM
wow 3 posts about this 88 bird already? lol

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:29 PM
Yeah have a few problems lol
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:30 PM
let me research it,and see if I can determine being it is fuel inj with like four your fuel lines only 2 should be easy to determine.I know on my single inject tbi cake walk,but not a multiple inject set up.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:38 AM
large line 3/8 is fuel send, smaller 5/16 is return.

The evap vent line will most likely be 5/16 i belive but it will NOT have threaded connections, it will have quick connects. it shouldnt be hard to tell apart. Just trace it a little ways.

If it doesnt come up to either side of the fuel rail, it doesnt carry fuel........

89 355 s10 blazer
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:51 AM
Sorry I should have specified I know which line is which going to the actual vapour canister etc. but on the sender portion of the actual gas tank has three lines coming out but I don't know which is for which because they don't have the quick connects or anything still on them.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:52 AM
oh, i see, well TYPICALLY gm puts the vapor line in the middle.

Take that with a grain of salt because ive actually never had to do a fuel pump on an old jbody at work. nobody seems to drive those anymore.

89 355 s10 blazer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search