Neon disc swap how to - Page 13 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:43 AM
OK, the neon swap video is up:

LINK

Your better off just downloading it because googles' streaming sucks.

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:26 PM
Nice.

I tried downloading it, but I can't seem to find a good link to download it and not need the video player to watch it. Am I missing something?

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:43 PM
Hmm.....thats @!#$ty...I didn't know google makes it a .gvp and you need there player to play it. I can send it to you through IM or something. Its a 50meg .wma so let me know if you know where I can put it to get it out to people without jumping through ridiculous loops like googles .gvp crap. The webserver account I have only allows movies upto 32meg for some reason.
Friday, July 21, 2006 10:33 PM
There is a way to d/l the AVI...

http://1024k.de/bookmarklets/video-bookmarklets.html

Quote:

Quote:

Is GVP not just AVI with a different name?

No. GVP (Google Video Pointer) files are playlist files for Google Video Player. A GVP file can be opened in a texteditor and contains a link to the respective AVI file. Do not mistake GVP for GVI (Google Video files). GVI clips are AVI files with additional header information. They are usually composed of a video stream encoded in DivX alongside an MP3 audio stream, with AVI being the container format. Renaming GVI files to AVI can help with getting a video player to render the video.

edit:

This is the code from the GVP for the AVI file -- note, I'm not going to guarantee that it will work flawlessly as I have dial-up and could not d/l the entire thing, but it did start d/l-ing as an AVI:

http://vp.video.google.com/videodownload?version=0&secureurl=ugAAAPmukStSORaxysXOsJ2UJSHhl_siDId31s1xC0bBnBqae4Ph6BWzdR8jwnW1I061FH9Sboe_A0ThYGegBJv-sgGcBEPSAQP4SGVKMy4_fh7ayhqZi16QYHq 1qM4mg246V3hXVywHeEXIaxi4ALRWHbj20KQXl1tOqn0x16JdDqMyryPojNn9ZEB9uuFUriqimtu391OoxQcavhFG-tDOlhNU4Xj2MWggdu0vEGbpi-cEbUS4WYfanyHa_TsUJSnxTg&sigh=tdzckq2LzGtuqezFi9mbV_vLZAs&begin=0&len=626433&docid=-7 482565663772944210

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 21, 2006 10:40 PM

Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:20 AM
OK, i tried the link and it did give me a .avi to download and it did download however media player gives the error that it doesn't have the proper codec that was used to compress the file.
Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:39 AM
I have the same problem with media player.... Quicktime seems to have no problems, though.

D/L'd it through GVP while I was waiting for my coffee @ the coffee shop this morning.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:24 PM
I downloaded the AVI file. I've tried using Quicktime before, and it has never worked (personally, I can't stand any Apple programs or products, especially Quicktime and ITunes), so when I tried to play it, I got about ten seconds of choppy audio and then nothing.

Josh- let me do some checking for a place to put it. I think I may have one available.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:41 PM
I just watched on google great how to vid!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, August 01, 2006 9:46 AM
not sure if i warned anybody, dont go to any joe blow hardware place for the washers to space out the rotor, because most likely they all wont be created equal.... found this out the hard way. my buddy's car had a brutal vibration at 150+ km/hr, and i had a regular squeak as i slowed down. what was the problem? the rotor/wheels where sitting cocked off because of some of the washers were thicker than others.

i went to a specialty place that does nothing but bolts/fasteners/washers, installed new ones, and all my probs went away!

just keep an eye out everybody!

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:41 AM
well folks i paid joshua dearmon today for his swap parts...

so remind me one more time what special things i have to do to get these to work on my 99 cav.

also how long did it take most of you...

im a newb when it comes to brakes so i bet im in for a treat on this product...

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:24 AM
when you have allt he parts required, it took me and my buddy about 2hrs to swap to the new brakes on his car, and maybe 1hr on my car

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:02 PM
really... thats as long as it took.... anything special i should remember.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:24 AM
remember to have a grinder, you'll need to grind down the top of where the bearing sits on, so that it clears the ebrake housing on the bracket..

note to everybody:

i have 18s, with 225/40/18 tires, and on prostreets with about a 1-2 finger clearance, and i've torn my rear tires to @!#$ from hitting the rear fender, either roll them in GOOD, or cut them off.

@!#$, 2 new tires for me!

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:07 AM
i havent got the parts yet so im not sure which parts your talking about grinding... got a pic

Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:09 PM

its the area right behind the drum brake in the axel/beam itself. just to the right of the number 2 in the picture.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:00 PM
Hey black, I've got the same tires with no prob. Tein SS.....how low are you?

Also,

I've been meaning to post this for a while but I wanted to warn everybody that has plans on doing a drill-press home-brew bracket machining. These are cast parts and all different and dont have smooth surfaces.
Most brackets I've seen(and I've seen about 30 or so) aren't flat and the hub will not sit properly on the bracket. You can still do it on a drill press just make sure to go and get an endmill that will fit in the chuck and face the bracket smooth.

There that it I said it....been meaning to for about 3 months now, just always forget to. In case anybody is thinking Cahill didn't, your right, but he also had his bracket powdercoated which floats flat and will smooth out the surface.

Let me know what you guys think....just something to think about. I still think you can save some money doing it yourself, but just make sure you do it right.

Good 3/8" or 1/4" endmills can be gotten for about $25.00 and a crappy one on ebay for about $5.00
Friday, August 11, 2006 6:45 AM
i'm quite low with the RK's

its brutal, the top edge of my tire is shot lol, on bot sides... i gotta cut the rear fender lips out and that'll solve my problem.

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:44 AM
In case anyone is wondering, it is not absolutely necessary to change out the RPV's. i didn't, and some others havent, and there have been no problems. So if you're wondering about plumbing using the stock hardlines, you can purchase the rest of the hardware you need from Earls plumbing, which can be found on summitracing.com.

Part numbers you'll need are
(2) EAR-989534ERL - the hardline fitting adapter
(2) EAR-997634ERL - the 7/16" banjo fitting (you will use the stock banjo bolt on the caliper)
(2) EAR-63010126ERL - the 26" SS line (you can also try using the 24" line, but it might be a little tight for comfort)

Now if you also say, hell, might as well upgrade the front lines too while i'm at it (instead of buying the Russell kit and only using half the kit), you'll need

(2) EAR-989534ERL - the hardline fitting adapter
(2) EAR-997631ERL - the 10mm banjo fitting (you will use the stock banjo bolt on the caliper)
(2) EAR-63010114ERL - the 14" SS line

Do not forget that you will also need to get new crush washers (2 per caliper, 7/16" for the back and 10mm for the fronts).

Enjoy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, August 14, 2006 10:57 AM
both my buddy's 98 z24 and my 98 cav didnt have the RPV's

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, August 14, 2006 4:38 PM
Since summit was way back ordered i found another source, at about the same cost

American Street Rod

EAR-989534ERL - the hard-line fitting adapter (same) $4.85

63011626 - these are Earls lines but they have the 7/16 banjo fitting installed 26" long $18.00

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:06 AM
oh yea thats another thing, earls does offer both sets of lines w/ the 7/16" and 10mm already installed on one end (you still need the other side adapter though), the only thing is that those lines are sometimes harder to find.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:48 PM
Hey guys, this is my first (of soon to be many) post in this thread. After reading the whole topic I have a couple things to say....

The first is DAYUM you guys are the @!#$ for finding this out, I just want to thank you all for all your hours of work to help people such as me out!

The second thing is actually a question. Has anyone thought about compiling all of this into one "HOW TO:" ?Now that it seems like we have all the kinks out., it seems confusing because at the beging its like this is what you need, and then 5 or so pages later it talks about PSI of the MC and extra parts you need so it works properly, and adapters for the e-brake.

Once again thanks guys!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:31 PM
the gen of the 96 intrepids use the same integral brake drum/shoe as the neon, much easier to find the right shoes now

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, August 25, 2006 1:01 PM
Yes, I found it alot easier to source Intrepid parts than the neon stuff. Except for calipers, the brake line bolt thread pattern changes so be careful of that.

Fire: I have put together a video as sort of a how-to, I know it doesn't list cars and such to find parts but all you really got to do is watch the video, look at the parts, then go to your yard and pull off ANY 95+ dodge neon, intrepid, status, concorde wheels if they have rear discs and verify there the same parts and you should be good to go. Also, you will need a 30mm socket for the neon hub and a 36mm for the other hubs. then you will need a 10mm box wrench for the abs sensor and caliper bolt, an 18mm for the bracket bolts and a screw driver to remove the dust guards on the hub. Also, a set of randon pliers and such to pull off the springs and stuff inside the drum brake.
Saturday, August 26, 2006 7:49 AM
Also forgot to mention, I found a cheater bar was very helpfull.....I used 1" OD tubing at about 18" long, this helped out tremendously to loosen stubborn bolts.

About sourcing parts, make sure you get the rotor and caliper from the same model of vehicle, ie: neon rotor with neon caliper. The thickness of the rotor changes (about 2mm thicker) on the larger cars and the caliper has a larger bite to it.

So theres no confusion, in the above post I meant to use the screw driver on the hub dust caps, not the dust guard.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search