Neon disc swap how to - Page 10 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, February 27, 2006 5:06 PM
right on, thanks for the info James. I'll have to go pull the Daytona bracket to see how the machining is going to be different. think I'll search around tonight for somewhere that sells crossdrilled and/or slotted rotors for Daytona's. yes, I know. it's just for show. :-)

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, February 27, 2006 8:29 PM
ok i got a question cant you just cut out the area and then reweld that adapter back in that josh made or not.

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:24 PM
I'm not sure what exactly your talking about. First off welding on cast metal is very difficult. You have to preheat the material before you weld then weld on it and then bring down temp slowly in an oven. Even then you will have strength issues, so no, welding on these brackets is damn near imposible, not to mention dangerous.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:28 PM
Two pics of the Daytona setup-

Brackets-

Setup on a Beretta axle (which also shares the same drums as the J body)-

The brackets need to get flipped, left side to right side, so the e-brake hole is in on top of the bearing, but it could be done underneath as well. There is actually less machining required, since there is more clearance inside the bracket.

Each setup has its plusses and minuses.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:58 PM
what kind of minuses on the Daytona setup?

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:15 PM
I guess they're just minuses to me, but the Neon stuff looks better, and having the caliper hang off the bottom rear of the rotor is kind of strange. Not really any lack of function, more of an appearance thing. From what I hear, finding the 11" caliper brackets is kind of tough. Most of the cars had 10" non vented setups.

If the Neon bracket had the interior dimensions of the Daytona piece, it would be great. I guess you could also use a Daytona or Neon e-brake cable and use the brackets on the correct sides to have the calipers on the front top, but IIRC, there was a clearance issue between the caliper and axle. That may not be a problem on the 3rd gen axle though.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:19 PM
I would just rather have the vented discs and not the solid discs, but if they're crossdrilled and slotted anyways, shouldn't make that big of a difference, correct?

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:57 PM
what years and car can we found these 11" bracket and 10"?
thanx!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:38 PM
Well, considering the rear brakes only do 30% of the braking, I don't think it would make a difference even if you used regular rotors (I could probably type a few paragraphs of info on why slotted and cross drilled rotors are kind of worthless on the street, besides looking nice). The Daytona is slightly heavier than the J, and the Shelby model had the 11" rotors standard, so you figure, if the base model Daytona had 10" non vented rotors with no issues, running a 10" non vented rotor on a lighter car should be fine. Now, if you plan on running boost, or road racing, or anything else where you can get fast enough to need the extra braking capacity, then I would say use the 11" rotors. You still probably wouldn't need slotted and/or drilled rotors, but I don't think anyone has found them yet for the setup anyways.

I don't know what the weight difference is between the Neon, Daytona 10", and Daytona 11" is. I would guess the Neon is the lightest, and the 11" is heaviest. Thats also a factor, since its all unsprung weight. But the trade off of a heavier setup for more braking power is ok. I guess it all comes down to what parts you can get, and how much you want to spend.

Boy....I have alot of time on my hands to think about all this stuff

I don't know what years this stuff is available on. I will have to take a look around and see.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:17 PM
I think for now I'm going to stick to the Neon stuff. I'm trying to get the car in a somewhat decent shape for both auto-x and drag, so the crossdrilled and slotted would be nice. I'm gonna guess that the Neon conversion would be the lightest overall, but it would be interesting to see what the weight difference is.
thanks for all your hard work man.

Desert Tuners

Friday, March 03, 2006 6:46 AM
Hey I recognize those pics ...

I mainly went with the 11" vented rears to better match my 11.75" Wilwood fronts.

Somewhere at home I have the weights of the Daytona setup that Im using (in the pics above) compared to the stock drums etc. I think I posted it over on V6 also.

I probably could have easily turned the bearing mounting plates upside down when I narrowed the retta axle beam. But I said F it since I thought it would make the ebrake cable routing easier (not really sure on that) and I didnt mind the caliper hanging off the back. Though I like the position of James better.

Anyway, I should have all my parts back from powder today or tomorrow so I should be able to post some pics of the finished product.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

247HP/267ftlbs at 13psi with built motor

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dhc1902@yahoo.com

Friday, March 03, 2006 7:40 AM
^^^ thats why i would like to go with the daytona set up, but i gues it will depend on if i can find these at the junk, if not, i'll just stick with the neon stuff.
what years daytona the 10 and 11" came with? is there any other model that have this set up?
thanx.

Friday, March 03, 2006 8:06 AM
I got mine of an 89 shelby daytona.

You could ask the guys at www.turbododge.com for specifics.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

email: dhc1902@yahoo.com
Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:03 PM
juicedz4 wrote:Hey I recognize those pics ...

I was wondering when you would see them here....

Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:27 PM
Surprised I even did. I havent been on here in months.

Looks like I havent missed much...

YEP, my 60' times suck

email: dan@clubhousecustoms.com
Monday, March 06, 2006 1:05 PM
got a question....

theres a gp now for this stuff. and im going to purchase the br option and it comes with all of this:

Kit type: BR

(1) SET OF MACHINED BRACKETS w/ e-brake hardware
(6) 981803
(6) 981903
(4) 981603
(2) 981503
(2) 630036
(2) 402833
(2) Wilwood 2psi RPVs PN: 260-1874

is that all ill need?

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Monday, March 06, 2006 1:54 PM
All you will need extra is rotors, calipers, and pads(ebrake and disc brake). Thats it.
Monday, March 06, 2006 2:01 PM
how you go about mounting the shoes for the ebrake?
i mean if i get the bracket and all hardware from your gp and then get rotors, caliper, pads.
I'll be missing bolts... what are the size bolts needed for this swap? and i dunno how the ebrake works, but i'm guessing there is some kind of mechanism that i will need to hook everything up.

Monday, March 06, 2006 3:55 PM
You wont need any bolts, that would be included in the ebrake hardware. The ebrake is mounted like any other drum brake system. Take a look at your rear drums to get a good idea of how it works, its basically the same. Except the neon ebrake stuff uses a mechanical actuator instead of a hydralic one. If you really want to be prepared for the install then go to your local yard and pull off the ebrake stuff and then while disassembling the brakes look at how its put together. Then send me the brackets for machining. You will have all the hardware needed that way too.
Monday, March 06, 2006 4:06 PM
ok, i was thinking if i get the bracket from you, what would i need!
chance are i wont find any set up in a junkyard here soon.
we'll see in april....
thanx

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:07 PM
If you get the bracket from Josh, the only thing I don't see on the list is the backing plate. It is needed for this swap (if you want the e-brake), since all the e-brake hardware mounts to it.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:15 PM
yeah, he told that in the gp thread!
thanx.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:50 PM
Sorry I should have been more aware, I consider the backing plate as part of the ebrake stuff, so that is also included.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:27 PM
ok I got a question now is there anyway that I can design my own neon bracket with that adapter if I did it in AutoCAD or not

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:04 PM
Sure, but you got to get the stock flanges in the stock locations in an XYZ coordinate system relative to the center hole. Its not too hard, just takes alot of time.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search