Lift Kit for Sunfire? -Help/Advice - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lift Kit for Sunfire? -Help/Advice
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:23 PM
Ok, I'm really hoping that this doesn't piss anyone off. I need help. (And I can't afford a psychiatrist! ) I've got a '97 Sunfire that's been pretty decent to me. Unfortunately for her, I've decided to go all hillbilly on her! I've got a dream and I need help! Yes...I want to Lift my Sunfire! I met a guy who said he could do it last year (when I didn't have money!) but I can no longer contact him! Does anyone have any information on lifting a Sunfire? I'd like to go at least 3 or 4 inches and I KNOW it can be done! One of my buddy's seen one up in Edmonton.

I'd LIKE to make her a 4X4 but just don't have the skills for THAT! My T-top idea was shot down as creating a safety concern(?) but a sunroof and vertical doors would stil be cool. Once I get all that done, I want to look at body mods.

Kyle

Re: Lift Kit for Sunfire? -Help/Advice
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:53 PM
Step 1, find a Chevy Blazer that is a rolling chassis for cheap. The frame must be straight

Step 2, remove the Blazer body and sell for parts.

Step 3, transplant Blazer frame/suspension/etc to Sunfire. Cutting/welding may/more than likely be required.

Step 4, purchase Blazer lift kit.

Step 5. Enjoy

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:01 PM
Kyle Trory wrote:Ok, I'm really hoping that this doesn't piss anyone off. I need help. (And I can't afford a psychiatrist! ) I've got a '97 Sunfire that's been pretty decent to me. Unfortunately for her, I've decided to go all hillbilly on her! I've got a dream and I need help! Yes...I want to Lift my Sunfire! I met a guy who said he could do it last year (when I didn't have money!) but I can no longer contact him! Does anyone have any information on lifting a Sunfire? I'd like to go at least 3 or 4 inches and I KNOW it can be done! One of my buddy's seen one up in Edmonton.

I'd LIKE to make her a 4X4 but just don't have the skills for THAT! My T-top idea was shot down as creating a safety concern(?) but a sunroof and vertical doors would stil be cool. Once I get all that done, I want to look at body mods.

Kyle

Yes you can. I have a 1.5" rear lift on my car. You have a couple of choices.

1) Contact a truck specific aftermarket shop, and ask for options. The Easiest is prob an air ride set up.

2) The Montana mini van has some suspension parts you can easily fit on your car with little modification. Start with that, because the struts are longer, and are made for a heavier vehicle and are almost a direct swap.

3) You can look into a chassis drop on your car. Pulling the towers down will increase your overall height. I hope you know how to weld.

However, you will be raising your center of gravity on a relitively light car, So it will be very easy to tip over. Your also gonna need to extend your brake lines, steering parts, and a few other things for the lift. I suggest you upgrade your brakes, A GOOD sway bar, strut bars, subframe brace.

Oh also see if a rear leaf spring swap can be done, that will be one of the best ways to go, Although your gonna need some way to make sure they dont lean inward or outward, kinda like a full rear axle swap.
Then all you need to do is a full length from strut swap, From something like an S10 pickup, which does have a lift kit for it.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:02 PM
Oh and the reason i have a rear lift, is cause my system is a liitle to heavy for the back end of the car. It gives it almost a stock height now.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:11 AM
maybe im an iddiot but somone can chime in

cant you just get GOOD coilovers and raise them up as high as they can go??

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:16 AM
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:Oh and the reason i have a rear lift, is cause my system is a liitle to heavy for the back end of the car. It gives it almost a stock height now.

your a @!#$ idiot and a liar

DayUSeX (ws6+04cav= FTW) wrote:maybe im an iddiot but somone can chime in

no it will just go to stock ride height. i havent seen any coilovers designes to go 3 to 4 inches higher than stock

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:31 AM
Quote:

Oh and the reason i have a rear lift, is cause my system is a liitle to heavy for the back end of the car. It gives it almost a stock height now.

Got pics?

Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:13 PM
You could probably order some ground control coilovers with some rediculously tall springs. But the front arms and rear trailing arm would be at some funky angles.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:57 AM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:Oh and the reason i have a rear lift, is cause my system is a liitle to heavy for the back end of the car. It gives it almost a stock height now.

got proof?

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:04 AM
Making it somewhat simple:

I hear that when people do a RWD conversion, they use the back end from an S10 to do it. That might give you a starting point for some rear suspension parts.

However, I have to give points for originality--hope you make the furst Sunfire Monster Truck

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:15 AM
BaggedCav98 (Unqoutable One) wrote:

DayUSeX (ws6+04cav= FTW) wrote:maybe im an iddiot but somone can chime in

no it will just go to stock ride height. i havent seen any coilovers designes to go 3 to 4 inches higher than stock

LMFAO

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:51 AM
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:
Bagged wrote:

got proof?

yea lowfires sig

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:46 AM
LOL, yet still no new info against me, your a pathetic wind bag. Grow up.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:58 AM
well i do believe some asked for some pics in this thread so lets see them

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:03 AM
comon guys...just take a set of the gravana coil overs and flip them upside down...instant lift kit

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:07 AM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]well i do believe some asked for some pics in this thread so lets see them

I suggest you do a search they have already been posted.

Damn Newbs.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:23 AM
sorry but im not gonna waste my time searching though all 67xx of your post to find a pic

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:37 AM
typical newb. Go home.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:39 AM
lol yes im a newb

im as much of a newb as you arent a liar

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:00 AM
haha this is funny, why dont u just throw hydros on it and go 4 feet in the air , is that high enough>? i bet dude bought a pep boys 1 inch lift kit and jammed things in his springs thinkn it is a lift kit!! haha

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:06 AM
or cylinders will work. ive seen plenty of people w/ cylinders where it raises way past stock ride height

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:07 AM
Kardain wrote:Step 1, find a Chevy Blazer that is a rolling chassis for cheap. The frame must be straight

Step 2, remove the Blazer body and sell for parts.

Step 3, transplant Blazer frame/suspension/etc to Sunfire. Cutting/welding may/more than likely be required.

Step 4, purchase Blazer lift kit.

Step 5. Enjoy

apparently it has been done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:08 AM

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:08 AM
eric altman wrote:haha this is funny, why dont u just throw hydros on it and go 4 feet in the air , is that high enough>? i bet dude bought a pep boys 1 inch lift kit and jammed things in his springs thinkn it is a lift kit!! haha

Dont make me call your house again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:05 PM

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:23 AM
hahahaha

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:28 AM
lmr needs phonesex, thats as close to sex as he gets

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search