Colbalt / G6 rear discs on j-body - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Colbalt / G6 rear discs on j-body
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:02 PM
Quote:

FReQ Z
what about cross-drilled and slotted rotors?
I have seen g6 and cobalt ones on ebay

Quote:

BlkCav
what does this setup offer over the Neon rear swap?

In my opinion, it is a stronger setup, thicker rotors, no seperate e-brake shoes, reasonable costs, ease of installation(2 axle mounts, 2 strut mounts, 8 (4 x 2) hub bolts)
this is similar to a " aftermarket" setup- but smaller. Not everyone can afford 12" or 13" fronts and 12" rears
Joshua has done a great job modifying neon stuff, this is just another option.
the fiero rotor setup with the g/p caliper combo works too-- just have to turn the hub diameter

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:08 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:So are you going to provide a list of whatever we need for the swap if you offer this to us?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:06 AM
Yep, won't be much extra you would need.
I would ship the axle (brackets already welded on), redrilled rotors, hubcentric rings, e-brake extension (aluminum)
you would need- cobalt SS rear calipers ( or G6, Malibu, Saturn Ion), pads, brake lines, hubs from your axle( or just get new ones), brake fluid
Schram Auto has alot of calipers, most are under 100 miles-- $100 for the pair and no core

Swap out the axle, change hubs, mount calipers, bleed brakes- pretty simple

ship back your old axle or pay for a core-- my local yard said they had 1 ls sport rear axle (FE2 suspension)
I will work with anyone that has special needs-- drilled or slotted rotors, FE2 axle

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:18 AM
dont forget the toyota camry rear rotor and grand prix caliper combination!

(if anybody wants plates for it, let me know, i've got a set i want gone)

Is there a way to bolt the bracket to the hub instead of having it welded?

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:01 AM
I have the bracket diagram

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:42 AM
Nice, Id like to have drilled and slotted to match my front Baers if thats possible.

306 TQ
Friday, July 20, 2007 10:53 AM
Keep this link then
Cobalt SS rotors on e-bay

Friday, July 20, 2007 11:36 AM
Got it, thanks.

306 TQ
Friday, July 20, 2007 12:14 PM
The question is can you run the five lug cobalt hubs on the axle with this swap. Because if you do the NWF swap up front you have one bolt patter if you don't want to do the irs swap because of poor aftermarket (no Complete coil-over kits and you have already bought sway bar for the rear etc.) can you adapt them to run larger bolt pattern hub. wouldn't have to re-drill the disc or get hub centering rings. and you don't have to have dual bolt pattern rims. And only have to carry one spare tire.

what i don't like to pay AAA for something i can do myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 20, 2007 12:21 PM

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:01 AM
Cobalt SS, Ion, G6 and malibu use the new "delta platform" parts, and has the 5 X 110 pattern. the rear hub also has a different mounting pattern compared to j-bodies.
checking TIMKEN's website- I could not find a matching trapazoid mount and larger 5 x 115 pattern.
possibly a different GM hub (rectangular pattern-- celebrity, corsica, regal etc etc) could be bolted to the j torsion axle with new holes drilled-- but that might create other dimensional changes too.

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:55 AM
That's what i figured.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:28 PM
very awesome.

dont let all these @!#$ tell you it cant be done. anythign can be done if you put your mind to it.

i love how you showed them otherwise.

good job.

Portage, MI
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:51 PM
Charlie Burke wrote:It's a lot more difficult than you might think to just re-drill a rotor to a specific pattern. Measure 50 times to cut once and don't forget, lots of FWD rotors are hub-centric (center on the hub). If you don't mark the rotor using the EXACT center of the hub on a lathe it will wobble. Being the wise guy that I am, I bought a set of cheap used steel wheels a while back for a car only to find out the pattern was off. I tried as I might to drill the holes correctly but alas, I couldn't get the car over 5 mph without a noticable wobble.

could not have said it better. it wont work...

mecp certified installer#39272

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:23 AM
Andy, not everything is written in a book!!! Someone invented the wheel !! 4 of your last 5 posts all you did was criticise, and what modifications have you done--
heres your post " andy czarnecki
Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:25 PM

"""we have a kick ass muffler shop here in town, and i was thinking about a high flow cat, and 2.25" pipe, in conjuntion with the flowmaster and either a k& typhoon or rkspport cai. ideas? ""

tell me you at least have an E-bay supercharger ....haha, maybe some 60series tires???? how about some big ass wing

wwwoooooowww

I don't flame people, but as you can see- it is already installed
ps.. the rotors are hubcentric, not lugcentric-- check your factory rotors-- the holes are oversized for the lugs

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:24 AM
john beers aka thebondoman wrote:but as you can see- it is already installed

Thats what the hell I was thinking, can't you guys see that he has ALREADY gotten this setup to work? Dumbasses!!

306 TQ
Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:58 AM
setup looks hot, i love the integrated ebrake

did you use any sort of porportioning valves to re valve the rear brakes? i find that my neon ones have barely worn away the pad and well id like a bit more stopping force from the back end

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:29 AM
the factory abs will do that for you.
most of your stopping bias is from the front, pads should last a long time on the back

Friday, September 21, 2007 7:39 PM
Well it's been almost 2 months, but I just got my front brackets on. On page 2 I said I would post when I installed them. So here they are-- I still need to clean and paint the calipers !!!

Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:16 PM
Looks good man. I may be interested in that rear disk set-up but it would have to be soon. I would also just drive up there and meet you. It is not too far away

Friday, March 14, 2008 7:58 PM
what size are the cobalt 5 lug bolt pattern and what sizes are the rear rotors

thinking of putting the cobalt 5 lug disc swap in the rear of my 1997 sedan but i need some help

and what is the most easiest front disc swap and still use the stock 5x100 bolt pattern

hope someone can help if anyone has infomation on any think please email me at chrisb_18360@yaoo.com

thanks
Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:42 AM
Cobalt 5 lug is 110 mm and the rear hubs are not interchangable with J's

Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:39 PM
what rotors from the vette years do u use and how do they fit after u drill them and where do u find the bearing hub spacer
Also do u have any more info on the malibu rear disc brake swap and what is needed to do it
and last think are these all compatible with the 95-99 Z24 rims
Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:44 AM

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:42 PM
C4 rears 88-96- redrilled, hubcentric ring was made on a lathe, though they can be bought

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:23 PM
do the stock cavalier brake lines bolt up to the cobalt calipers or do we need to create new ones? (adaptors)? I would prefer to stick to all gm products rather then dodge! I have a LS sport cavalier 02
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search