Neon disc swap how to - Page 20 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:45 AM
i run aluminum crush washers with absolutely no problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Monday, August 06, 2007 12:07 AM
I will look into this issue a little more maybe today when i get home from work in 12hrs... Stupid 4am-4:30pm bull@!#$) I'm pretty sure i just don't have it tight enough and the paint has something to deal with it. It never leaked for the first 60 miles i put on them. So if it was just loose it would have leaked from the get go.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:33 AM
what fitting are used to attach the stock brake lines? i got the very first gp from josh, and that was back when you had to flare the stock lines. i dont have a flare tool and am afraid of flaring them too much or not enough... im trying to make this as easy as possible.

any help?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:01 AM
88 daytona rear lines, they thread right into the fitting thats on there

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:09 PM
BlkCav wrote:88 daytona rear lines, they thread right into the fitting thats on there

so i need lines from a 88 daytona? thats it?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:18 PM
Viper98912 wrote:In case anyone is wondering, it is not absolutely necessary to change out the RPV's. i didn't, and some others havent, and there have been no problems. So if you're wondering about plumbing using the stock hardlines, you can purchase the rest of the hardware you need from Earls plumbing, which can be found on summitracing.com.

Part numbers you'll need are
(2) EAR-989534ERL - the hardline fitting adapter
(2) EAR-997634ERL - the 7/16" banjo fitting (you will use the stock banjo bolt on the caliper)
(2) EAR-63010126ERL - the 26" SS line (you can also try using the 24" line, but it might be a little tight for comfort)

Now if you also say, hell, might as well upgrade the front lines too while i'm at it (instead of buying the Russell kit and only using half the kit), you'll need

(2) EAR-989534ERL - the hardline fitting adapter
(2) EAR-997631ERL - the 10mm banjo fitting (you will use the stock banjo bolt on the caliper)
(2) EAR-63010114ERL - the 14" SS line

Do not forget that you will also need to get new crush washers (2 per caliper, 7/16" for the back and 10mm for the fronts).

Enjoy

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:37 PM
so thats the current and easiest way to do it? what viper posted?

Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:46 AM
Got any updates for me Josh?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, August 17, 2007 3:59 AM
Any updates on the 03 conversion? If not, looks like I be finally ordering them cables. I been putting it off for to long now.
Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:48 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Got any updates for me Josh?

Ive emailed ya, no reply. Just want to make sure im home to receive.

306 TQ
Monday, August 20, 2007 9:44 AM
im getting ready to order my calipers from autozone, can i also get the pads and rotors from there too...

and how about ebrake pads?

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:03 AM
I got caliper, pads, and shoes for an 98 intrepid. they are easier to get. Also use the same fitting as what Josh sent in box. Well at least for me. I think someone said you also get to pick the threads. I never got a choice though.
Monday, August 20, 2007 1:39 PM
as far as I know there is not a choice for thread size for the calipers at Autozone. and the Shoes are no longer available. look a couple of pages back I have a link for where to pick up the shoes for a reasonable price. If you don't find the link PM me.

Monday, August 20, 2007 2:03 PM
How do you know which thread pitch of caliper to get? Are yall just taking your fittings to autozone or whatever to see if they screw into the calipers?

btw, has anybody talked to Josh? I sent money 2 weeks ago, and he said his next shippment of hardware wouldnt come in until last week, well that was the last time I heard anything.

306 TQ
Monday, August 20, 2007 2:41 PM
heres the easy way to get the right thread caliper bolts. buy them when you buy the calipers. should be 7/16th either way.
(7/16-20 vs. 7/16-24)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:36 AM
i found a neon at a local yard with rear discs but the calipers are gone and was wondering if i went and got all the stuff from the rear is there anyone on here that can machine the brackets if i send them to you? I dont want to try doing them on a drill press. Also does josh still sell the adapter kits to install the brakes and lines? I am putting them on a 98 z24 cavalier.
Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:42 PM
David, as far as the calipers I'm sending 7/16-20 thread pitch caliper studs, if you get stuck with 7/16-24's I can get those to you aswell if you need them. If you get the calipers before I ship the fittings I can get the right ones in there with no chance of any problems....its up to you.

Jamie: I'm not sure if anybody on here will do it for you besides me, atleast I've never heard of anybody doing it for anybody yet. I'm not sure if I will ever have more kits but if I do we can do an exchange or something like that for machined brackets. I can tell you you really dont want to do it on a drill press unless it is one hell of a press that actually has a multitude of speed selections. You will also need to have a good assortment of tool holders and tools since you will need to face the mating surface the bearing is on and you will need an end mill for that. Its been done, dont think you cant do it, yard parts are cheap, get a few sets and start trying.

I will have the fitting "adapter sets" - or atleast I will in the near future, pm me if you need anything.
Sunday, September 09, 2007 5:18 AM
Thanks Josh, ill just wait until I get everything from you before I get the calipers

306 TQ
Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:00 PM
Is it a must that you use the dust shield on this set up?

306 TQ
Sunday, September 16, 2007 2:54 PM
yes, because it holds the four pins and is the backing plate for the ebrake hardware.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 3:25 PM
you can ditch the dust shields if you dont want to have the e-brake, there are a few people that have posted in this thread saying that they have not used the dust shields/e-brake.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:31 PM
if you ever have a catastropic brake failure, your ebrake might very well save your life one day.

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:00 AM
Aahh ok, thanks Viper

306 TQ
Monday, September 17, 2007 7:55 PM
did the brake swap. all thanks to viper98912 for selling me his neon setup. great mod, not only looks good but is a functional upgrade as well. best of both worlds!

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:01 PM
You can trim the backing plate/dust shield down, but it still needs to be there. Look at the pics of my setup.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search