N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 8 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:48 AM
damn, those look awsome!!! Now I need to pull mine apart, and paint the spindles/hubs

IDNK the thread pitch, sorry.

have you picked up rotors yet? These are what WrenchMonkey and I are running, very nice rotors, awsome price....

PowerStop
Those, and Hawk pads work pretty damn good (even with my stock, 60k mile rears)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:34 PM
I am selling the parts that i have frof the F-W body big brake upgrade. You can find them listed in the classifieds. my rims wont work with this setup.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:40 PM
disregard my asshatery

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:50 AM
Do you have to use n body ball joints?

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:17 AM
Yes. The J-Body one's are too small. Also, make sure you get the 99+ N-Body ones, because the older ones are the same as ours.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:37 PM
lol, make up your mind!!!

Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:57 PM
Hey guys! I don't know about everyone eles that reads this, but I for one get lost on what parts you can or can't use. While I was at the yard today just lookin' around I was thinkin' of getting some of the parts I would need to do this. It will take me a while to get the parts, but to buy things at a good price while I have the time to look would be great. So if someone can tell everyeles what we can use in one post would be great. I'm guessin' it is the 99+ N body parts (Steering Knuckle, maybe grouped with item below.
Hub and Bearing Assembly, with ABS plug bracket), and use W body rotors and Calipers with Brackets for 11" brakes, or use the F body Calipers with Brackets for the 12". So am I right. I picked up a 99 spendle for the drivers side cause it was takin' off mince one bolt. Thanks and let me know if I'm right. The N body parts I wasn't sure what year. Thanks if you can help me out on all years needed.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 2:43 PM
I used 99 N-body control arms (aluminum), 99 N-body knuckles (same car, I didn't even take them apart), 00 C-body (Buick Park Avenue, where I pulled my motor from) hubs, calipers, rotors, etc.

It helped to test-fit stuff together at the yard before I took it all home... just to make sure it would work. Easy when there's J-bodies around to test-fit on as well

...j

Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:12 PM
I have Cavalier control arms, 99+ N-body ball joints, 99+ N-body knuckles and bearings, 99+ N-body outer CV joint, 98+ F/W-body 12" rotors, 98+ F-body Dual Piston Calipers/brackets, Cavalier struts...... These will fit in 16" rims (I have Police Issue 16" Impala steelies for the front) but barely.

You can also go with the '98-03? Corvette 13" rotors and Dual piston calipers/brackets....... I believe. The F-body lug holes are large enough for the 5x115 and 5x120 bolt patterns, I am not sure if the Corvette is the same (I'm sure it can be modded if not).

Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:04 PM
John Lenko wrote:I used 99 N-body control arms (aluminum), 99 N-body knuckles (same car, I didn't even take them apart), 00 C-body (Buick Park Avenue, where I pulled my motor from) hubs, calipers, rotors, etc.

It helped to test-fit stuff together at the yard before I took it all home... just to make sure it would work. Easy when there's J-bodies around to test-fit on as well

...j
Those N body control arms needed to be shortened or not? From what I hear they still need to taken down 1/2".

SpeedRacerZ wrote:I have Cavalier control arms, 99+ N-body ball joints, 99+ N-body knuckles and bearings, 99+ N-body outer CV joint, 98+ F/W-body 12" rotors, 98+ F-body Dual Piston Calipers/brackets, Cavalier struts...... These will fit in 16" rims (I have Police Issue 16" Impala steelies for the front) but barely.

You can also go with the '98-03? Corvette 13" rotors and Dual piston calipers/brackets....... I believe. The F-body lug holes are large enough for the 5x115 and 5x120 bolt patterns, I am not sure if the Corvette is the same (I'm sure it can be modded if not).
If you use the Corvette 13" rotors what calipers do you run? I'm guessin' Corvette, but not sure if they will fit.

Also the banjo bolts, what are they? I really only know the J Body brakes, and not many others. So any help would be great.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:27 AM
Not done yet because of time constraint. But I got most of the passenger side
done, Still no pads or pluming but everything is mounted and proof of concept. Ill finish next day I get a chance.

ewwww tiny brakes

MMMMMM Big brakes

Sunday, April 08, 2007 11:45 AM
TRD Cav Fire wrote:
John Lenko wrote:I used 99 N-body control arms (aluminum), 99 N-body knuckles (same car, I didn't even take them apart), 00 C-body (Buick Park Avenue, where I pulled my motor from) hubs, calipers, rotors, etc.

...j
Those N body control arms needed to be shortened or not? From what I hear they still need to taken down 1/2".

I haven't shortened mine... at least not yet... I adjusted the steering (tie rods) out further to compensate for the wider track.. since my rear end is an inch wider on each side because of the IRS, it's nicer looking that they're all out further

As long as my wheels don't hit the fenders, I'm leaving it as is... but I don't even have the car running yet... so...

Sunday, April 08, 2007 1:08 PM
Phlatcav wrote:
MMMMMM Big brakes

Ohhhh myy goodness, so glad school is almost over, job here i come, that has me convinced that this is worth it.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:34 PM
YOU WILL LOVE THESE BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:40 PM
I hope so. Im so sick of brake fade

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:41 PM
John Lenko wrote:
TRD Cav Fire wrote:

...j

I haven't shortened mine... at least not yet... I adjusted the steering (tie rods) out further to compensate for the wider track.. since my rear end is an inch wider on each side because of the IRS, it's nicer looking that they're all out further

As long as my wheels don't hit the fenders, I'm leaving it as is... but I don't even have the car running yet... so...
So you didn't shorten up anything in the rear either? hmm... How much longer till you drive the car like this, or put it on the ground to show how it looks? Thanks man.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:51 PM
See the pic in my sig? that's with the IRS on there. Right now there's nothing connected to the engine... so it won't go anywhere picture-worth right now...

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:51 AM
to anyone who's finished their swap, did you notice if the front nwf swap widened your track? if so, by how much?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:12 PM
If only there was a way to keep my bolt pattern.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:23 PM
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:If only there was a way to keep my bolt pattern.

you can if you get the hubs that allow you to place the studs in a 5x100 pattern and have some rotors redrilled.

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:36 AM
screw it im thinking of buying some lightweight 16's, then using GA/GP (nbody) knuckles and axles along with a MC/Impala caliper and rotor (wbody). i dont think the fbody caliper will fit too well w/ the wheels i want, but the stock MC/Impala rotor seems to fit just fine with the stock 16's that it came with.

but just so everyone knows, the GA/GP calipers are different than the MC/IM calipers.

Monday, April 16, 2007 12:54 AM
My brakes fit behind the 16" Police/Cab package steelies.... but barly!!!

Thursday, April 19, 2007 6:59 AM
i read somewhere that the holes are bigger/smaller between either the n,w,f,y on the caliper brackets. i know for sure that the f and y bracket holes dont line up. has anyone else been able to confirm what else doesn't line up?

Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:19 AM
The N, W, and F body all have the same spacing as far as the bracket to the spindle goes. The Y and F body have the same spacing on the caliper end (F-body guys upgrade to Y-body calipers, they are a bit stiffer I guess) I believe the W body brackets use larger bolts then the F and N bodies, to bolt the brackets to the spindles.

I've never tried to line up the Spindle side of the F and Y body brackets, to see if they are the same. I dont recall any threads on the F-body forums about them upgrading to the 13" Y body brakes, so maybe its not possible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:21 AM

Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:55 AM
yea, everything you said sounds about right. i've noticed that when upgrading the w brackets to the f-body caliper bracket to accomodate the larger rotor, people talk about drilling and tapping the fbody bracket, so my assumption is that the thicker w bolt is what threads into the bracket. but, the swaps here that go from n spindle to f bracket, no one talks about drilling holes, so i suppose they both use the same size bolts. if so, do you think it would be possible to just drill out the n-body spindle holes, to accomodate the w-body 12" bracket and utilize the thicker bolts? i'm really interested in doing the w caliper rather than the f-body caliper because of wheel clearance and because i think it'll be an overall better brake balance. and of course, i want to use the n-body aluminum spindle with outer axle.

any thoughts? i think it can be done, but i just haven't hit up the yard yet to see if its possible.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search