Rear trailing arm bushing Club Jeffie FEELER. - Page 4 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear trailing arm bushing FEELER.
Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:37 PM
strat81 wrote:ok... here we go...

initial findings are that jeffie's bushings are better fit than the LZM's. After installing them, i've found that the side to side play from the LZM bushings is gone. i can't wait to get out this weekend and put the car through it's paces to see how they work.

please contact LZM and let them know. it does us no good if they continue to sell them. also post it up in the LZM bushing thread on here and ecotecforum. obviously these aren't hardcore for racing.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:43 PM
i thought lzm was out of business?

hell i'd like them to replace the 245 that was damaged due to their failed part. doubt that will happen though.

Friday, November 05, 2010 4:53 AM
strat81 wrote:i thought lzm was out of business?

hell i'd like them to replace the 245 that was damaged due to their failed part. doubt that will happen though.

think they kinda serve who they want when they want at this point. i've heard of some people buying from them 2 weeks ago and having no problems getting parts.

others......well you know the story with lzm

Friday, November 05, 2010 5:02 AM
Lookin good Spence can't wait for this weekend so you can put them through the paces

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, November 05, 2010 5:25 AM
i wonder if its more an issue of the QUALITY of the poly our companies use? i always thought the TTR stuff was a bit soft compared to say a prothane item... maybe thats the problem here?

Underdog Racing
Friday, November 05, 2010 7:01 AM
i await the results of said "test "

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, November 05, 2010 8:25 AM
I just don't want to have to tear apart the car again just to change a set of bushings that were supposed to last longer than the stockers.
Not only that but to have to buy another set seems like redundancy. Geez, first you buy an upper engine mount that should last the life of the car and it goes bad so you replace it with a stocker with insert.
Same with the rear bushings now and I'm having to pay all over again for something that should've been right in the first place.
Do the Honda boys have this problem with their parts?
It really takes away from having fun doing mods when you get to the point of the reliability factory of what you put on your car.
I'm about over it and wondering what else is going to go bad next on the car.

Come Monday I'm pulling the car out and spending about three days on it going over everything on the car to prep it for the dyno and track.
I'll be looking at the rear bushings to see how they're reacting and gotta believe that the little creaks I'm hearing from the back are now the bushings wearing out and grinding the housings. I'll know more by Tuesday as I'm hitting the track on Wednesday.

Spence, keep us abreast of your findings and I really do hope that these work since stock bushings will be hard to come by for our trailing arms.
Consider me aggravated with the whole process.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, November 05, 2010 6:53 PM
took the car out for a short spin tonight...

ran my favorite mountain road and did some on-ramp/around town driving. so far the bushings have held up well.

traction is a bit lacking due to the cold though so hopefully i'll get the chance to push the car a little harder once it warms up some in the next few days.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 12:07 PM
s1lver_N1p (forum_Naz1) wrote:
strat81 wrote:ok... here we go...

initial findings are that jeffie's bushings are better fit than the LZM's. After installing them, i've found that the side to side play from the LZM bushings is gone. i can't wait to get out this weekend and put the car through it's paces to see how they work.

please contact LZM and let them know. it does us no good if they continue to sell them. also post it up in the LZM bushing thread on here and ecotecforum. obviously these aren't hardcore for racing.

LZM doesnt sell them anymore and didnt get back to me when I asked about them.

Jeffie If these are around $70-$100 I'm down for them around summer time. If they're gonna be more than that I'll just make my own (I have the capacity, but i'd rather pay a bit more and not have to do the work and support a new vendor for the platform).

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, November 08, 2010 6:58 AM
updates????

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:51 PM
Well I've thrown as much as I can at these on public roads and I'm happy to report that they have held up with no signs of wear. Ill be sure to update more next year after I've run some autox events but I'd say they should have no problems holding up to spirited driving.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:24 PM
how they feel? no clunks, noises, etc??

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:06 PM
Solid as a rock. Not even a squeak.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:44 PM
BA.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Friday, November 19, 2010 8:19 AM
bump for updates

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:54 PM
Jeffie can I buy a set right now or do I have to wait for the GP?
Dale Young aero.coupe@hotmail.com
Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:23 AM
Still waiting on results. My 'fire is still permanently parked until this is fixed!!!! UPDATES NEEDED
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:09 PM
Just a curious observation. I was reading through an old Hot Rodding magazine for parts for my wife's 68 firebird build-up, and came across a company called "Global West Suspension." They have a suspension product called "Del-A-Lum" that is basically a circular, milled piece of aluminum. They then make a delrin core/bushing to go inside of that aluminum and use a bit of lubricant between the two for noise-free operations. Here's some pics from their site:

I haven't heard back on whether your full delrin rear control arm bushings work, but I was thinking. Since the OEM bushing is surrounded by metal, with the rubber on the interior, wouldn't this design work a lot better, since there is considerably more aluminum (for less bushing deflection) yet still forgiving for street use (since delrin is used)? Also, there is a slight lip around the OEM piece to hold it in place. This should probably also be included in the milling of the aluminum housing.

Apparently, this company is a HIGHLY reputable race suspension organization, and their parts are used all over the musclecar world.

Where I got the idea from: http://www.globalwest.net/67-69firebird-front-end-components.html (see left side bar for items and select for full product descriptions).

Thoughts/suggestions/comments/smart ass remarks?
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:16 PM
They look nice, but IMO the problem with any of these delin bushings on a twist beam setup like ours is they dont allow for any twisting. The beam wants to twist around its geometrical center so that means that the mounts must be able to twist some as well. Putting solid bushings in only allows the beam to move in a circular motion around the axis where the bolts go through. They do not allow the beam to twist at the mount points.

Personally I think the best solution is to use a sperical bearing. That or just stock mounts.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:13 PM
The Delrin used still allows flex. Delrin is hard but its not metal on metal. The amount of flex that Delrin allows is substantial less, thats the part that makes the car feel so much stiffer in the rear end. Not only are these thicker than the factory (as far as bushing material) they look like they have grooves in them. If Jeffie has done that, thats superb. That not only allows for a little extra flex but also will hold grease.

Doing aluminum bushings with Delrin inserts is fine but you run into a problem. Number one, the amount of Delrin left over is not anywhere near enough to sustain multiple track days and thousands of miles. Maybe if you greased them everyday that would help lol. Number two would be the price. I am sure if I was to make these aluminum ones would cost around near double

A spherical joint that would press in there would work as well, but it all depends on peoples budget and what you get. The amount of gain from spherical end is not worth it, in terms of cost IMO.

Meatball, it looks like Spencer has done adequate testing on these and they seem to hold up, Good job Jeffie, so I would say stick with that design.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:04 AM
i really can only say that they should hold up to any cornering forces that are put on them. i'll know even more once autox season starts next year. i haven't put a ton of miles on them though as my cav isn't my daily. i know jeffie was looking to have a few others testing them on a more day to day basis to make sure they'll hold up to daily abuse.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:21 PM
I too dont see any real advantage to having the aluminum insert. Perhaps if it was a joint that only pivots they would work nicely as you can grease them etc. But really it just looks like itd add cost.

For me, since I can do almost anything myself, it doesnt make sense to spend $80 on some delrin bushings when I can have sperical for the same price. I dont see delrin flexing much without losing its shape slowly over time and abuse. Perhaps I wrong, but thats just my thoughts.

Hopefully these work out well.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:32 PM
i don't see sphericals holding up etiher though without some way to keep the dirt out of them.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:04 PM
keeping an eye on this since I have the facking LZM shat in my rear trailing arm on the skwirl.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:26 PM
Spherical bearngs are cheap. Figure 15 bux per side. So just change them every spring. The main cost would be the initial investment. IF someone was willing to make up something that could press in like I posted previously.

The flex joints that I am using just have two hard nylon bushings in them. The joint can be tightened as they wear via the threaded nut. From what I read these endure years of use in offroad trucks, so Im assuming they will last quite a while on a street car.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search