Tubular Control Arms - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Tubular Control Arms
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:52 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:the issue with aluminum is where its wleded its weaker. welding steel doesn't take as much strength out out of the raw material aluminum is worse if you weld aluminum where the weld is and for get the amount of the surounding area is i think its 30% weaker then raw aluminum thuse way you see aluminum stuff gusetted to hell to spread it out. those in aluminum would be THICK AS HELL. look at how beefy the alumnum N body arms are compared to the stamped steel

exactly. i wanted these arms to be tube steel because im more interested in strength then weight, because a flexing light arm will not do anywhere near the amount that a heavier steel arm will do. and btw, these are def lighter than the stockers. not as much as the aluminum ones, by far, but id say splits the difference. ill weigh my aluminum ones, these tube ones you already have the weight of, and ill weigh the stock stamped ones when i get em off of my car. ill also do print outs of my car on the alignment rack with the ball joint in the extreme neg and pos camber positions to let you know how much room you have to play with it and fine tune it.

if you guys think this is cool just wait till you see what happens next...this is gonna be a good year for j-body suspension mods, wouldn't you say mark?

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:14 PM
I can't wait to see the reulsts on these arms. Just by the look of them you can tell they'll be a huge improvement over the stamped stockers.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:17 PM
binzer wrote:I can't wait to see the reulsts on these arms. Just by the look of them you can tell they'll be a huge improvement over the stamped stockers.

eidt: I can't wait to see the results on these arms. Just by the look of them you can tell they'll be a huge improvement over the stamped stockers.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:22 PM
@!#$! I must have typing dyslexia. LOL
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:11 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote: this is gonna be a good year for j-body suspension mods

i LOVE the sound of that.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:33 PM
Come ooooon aluminum trailing arm

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:37 AM
bradsk88 wrote:Come ooooon aluminum trailing arm

More like, come on irs that doesnt take retarded dampers and springs.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:39 AM
Leafy wrote:

I've actually been looking into that already

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:40 AM
And I've been thinking about it, since I can run it in street mod.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:45 AM
so these end up being lighter than stockers?

i just dont see how...
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:31 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
Leafy wrote:

well, i was looking into that but mark and i were talking about it and we think that it would not be affordable enough for the jbody community. so instead we have something else in mind that will still be a huge improvement but much more wallet friendly.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:48 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
Leafy wrote:

well, i was looking into that but mark and i were talking about it and we think that it would not be affordable enough for the jbody community. so instead we have something else in mind that will still be a huge improvement but much more wallet friendly.

Watt's linkage?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:03 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Dave De Stefano wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
Leafy wrote:

Watt's linkage?

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:16 PM
Watts linkage? Why would we want that? We dont have a solid rear axle, we have a trailing arm suspension with a retarded huge swaybar with a non-linear rate and wimpy brackets. I mean you want irs on this car super cheap, cut the twist beam out, put better bushings in the trailing arm to chassis section (oil impregnated bronze would be nice, for this idea or just in general), beef up the chassis mounts so they wont just twist to pieces, and put a mondo swaybar in thats correctly designed, like the one whats his face made who actually did the twist beam measurements.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:20 AM
Guys, please keep this on topic. I hate to Sound like a Nazi but I want to try and keep this one focused on the arms. When the results are in, I will post them right away.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:05 PM
Mark, what's going to be done with the replacement parts for these control arms?
Are you going to be keeping the spherical bearings in stock or at least provide us with a source for ordering a replacement part?
Heims and spherical bearings don't hold up to daily driving too well but for competitions purposes, the bearings are the best.
So for those that's going to be daily driving these for a few years are going to need some kind of replacement part.

Other than that, *likes* ..

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, April 08, 2011 5:44 AM
Blu, We have replacement bearings in stock at all times. We can ship them out within a couple hours and you will have them in 2-3 days.

The bearings we are using and the Heim joints are either lined with PTFE or Kevlar. They should last around 2-3 years. if you keep them greased, they will last longer.

We noticed that if at every oil change you shoot the bearing with some "PB Blaster Spray Lube" the bearing stays cleaner much longer, just an FYI.

Mark

Friday, April 08, 2011 7:44 AM
I want details on the suspension ideas!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, April 08, 2011 3:42 PM
Subscribed
Friday, April 08, 2011 3:51 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Those control arms look nice. What about a spherical bearing insert for the grand am control arms ?

You have a PM

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:21 AM
i would be intrested if we could get it down to 450

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:12 AM
as for greasing them, will they be tapped with a zerk in them to be greased?

and agreed, provided they pass RIGOROUS TESTING, i mean ill pay what ever price they are, but $450 always sound better to people... in cavaliers and sunfires...

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:23 PM
For the front bushing it will be poly. You can just apply grease when installing. For the rear bearing, there is no Zerk fitting. These will be greased upon shipping and you will also get a package of Teflon grease for the 6month and 1 year greasing. All you will need to do is put a dab on your finger and wipe it around. Should take no more than 20 seconds a side.

The NON GB price will be $550 for the set. If we do a GB price of 10 we will be able to release them at $425 shipped.

For the testing, yes they are being tested as we speak. SO far they are running strong on the customers car. There are a few minor issues to be resolved, such as adding holes for ABS harness plugs, trimming the gusset up 1/8" for a little more clearance, etc. Overall the customer is happy and things are going well. Lets hope for a 1 week review worth of celebrating

Mark

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:56 PM
Id like to see these tested in a drag application and an autox application.... Just to get a LOT of stress on them. Nothing like having one magically break during a high stress point of some sort. Not sure how all to test them but I'd like to see them under heavy load.

but i can see 10 sets being spoken for.... then6 pulling through... i mean this is the org. provided they pass rigorous testing... im in regardless.

Monday, April 11, 2011 2:31 PM
They will be tested to the extreme you can believe that. I think putting a set of control arms to the maximum testing in necessary. These will not be released until they are test and true.

Mark

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search