Tubular Control Arms - Page 7 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Tubular Control Arms
Friday, August 19, 2011 8:13 PM
Let me try and wrap my brain around this redesign then. Pictures would really help too. How would a heim at the ball joint work with our knuckle? And what about the difference in Size between a factory style front bushing and a typical heim? How about the rear bushing, is that still the spherical bearing design or is it also a smaller heim joint? I realize you're just trying to cover yourself here, but if the arms are the same dimensions as the factory ones I don't see it possible for the ball joint to bind and fail.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:59 AM
I can get some pics up when I get the sets done. The heims are the same size ball socket as the spherical bearing, they handle more load and have a larger pivot angle.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:20 AM
Honestly in most street applications I would shy away from using heim joints or sphericals. I would also like to see how you avoided putting the heims in bending.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:08 PM
i think i'm going to have to back out of this. it just doesn't make sense for me for a couple of reasons.
-heims will not last longer than rubber/poly bushings. theres just no way they hold up to any kind of dirt. even with covers and regular greasing. they'd probably need to be changed out once a year. especially on such a load bearing piece like a control arm. and they would be seeing dirt on my car.
-i have no reason for full adjustability. its just a bigger pain in the ass when it comes to aligning the front end, and IMO it seems kinda like an easy way out of making a 100% replacement.
-i won't be racing the car enough to require something as serious as these. i drive my car on the street. these make sense for anyone who would only be racing on a track, where dirt and @!#$ isn't as big of a factor.
that being said i have nothing against this. they 100% will perform better than factory control arms and their range of motion in a heim is definately greater than a factory ball joint. i just have no need for it.
also, i'm not a fan of the whole surprise redesigning of a product after the original product that was supposed to have passed testing has already been paid for. no offense intended to OEM by any of this. i have many of your products and most of the problems i have had have been taken care of in a timely manner. this just doesn't make sense for me anymore. so before the product is made i will back out of this. i'll PM you for the rest of the details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:08 PM

Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:01 AM
I'll make sure ur set has the poly front bushings.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:43 PM
*BUMP*

For progress pictures....

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:43 AM
We had a little snag with the old style arms. We redesigned them and are getting them shipped to Dave before the end of the week. I will have pics then.

Mark

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:58 PM
Josh G. wrote:*BUMP*

For progress pictures....

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:24 PM
Here are the redesigned arms. These are fully adjustable and beefier than before. There was a major problem with the tube to ball joint bracing. We have not added a gusset underneath the vertical bar to add supported strength and also added heim joints instead of spherical bearings. These make the price go down and add 15 additional degrees of movement.

The new price for these are $475 coated and shipped. Upon further testing these will be added to the site and for sale.

Mark

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:47 PM

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:14 AM

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:46 AM
i want to see these installed on some ones car and here what they say, they look great and i want a set so much great job!
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:49 AM
Very nice, man. With those shiny heims, the arms thenselves should be polished stainless, though.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:12 PM
Crap... Mark, I was really hoping that these arms would be more street-friendly. I'm currently running a pair of the SMG lower control arms and was anxiously anticipating this product from you, but I have to agree with Jon that heims are a PITA in a street car. Any chance that a "street" set of these can be made?
Monday, November 28, 2011 8:05 AM
These are currently on a project car waiting to be tested. These are for race only.

Mark

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:24 AM
This design > than the starter design.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 08, 2011 11:28 AM
any new word on these? would these hold up to DD/street driving the car? any warrenty, replacement parts. whats the dealio on these?

Thursday, December 08, 2011 12:04 PM
We have them on our project car. Fit was great. Also the amount of adjustment is awesome too. We were able to dial out the caster and add a little camber without touching the camber plates or shocks.

Would these work on a daily? YES, we noticed no real extra noise on them at all which we were impressed about. Although we noticed this as well on the B14/B15 Nissan arms we built as well.

Replacement parts will be available, they would need to be checked every 6 months. Over a 2 year period the same Nissan customers are on the same joints.

Friday, December 09, 2011 7:09 PM
So how many pairs do you have built? Is my pair still in the works?

Friday, December 09, 2011 7:15 PM
holes for sway bar?

Friday, December 09, 2011 8:44 PM
They are there, just not shown in this pic. I have one extra set josh, you interested?

Mark

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:07 PM
You know I am!

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:19 PM
Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:23 PM
Now im really interested

GMR has got nothing on this
Monday, December 12, 2011 7:20 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:This design > than the starter design.

agreed.looking good.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search