spring rust protection - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spring rust protection
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:32 AM
so i've ordered a set of tein s tech springs and i live in atlantic canada. I dont want these springs to rust out like my old goldline springs did, anyone have an suggestions as to what i can put on them to help prevent them from rusting? I'm not worried about them looking pretty as my car is a DD and you never see them anyways unless they are on a lft.

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB

Re: spring rust protection
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:07 AM
other than sliding clear plastic tubing over the whole coil idk... spray em down with wd40?

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:31 AM
i dont think wd40 would last very long its not very thick..... i was thinking something like rocker guard before i install them on the struts, nut i dont know how plyable that is to move as the spring does.

Next year 155 DB
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:01 PM
What about spring tar on the whole thing. Messy, but effective...
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:12 PM
never heard of it.... what is it?

Next year 155 DB
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:49 PM
Just spray it bi-weekly with wd-40

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:59 PM
Cover them in plasti-dip in the color of your choice...
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:09 PM
It's a tar that is used in spring piston pellet guns primarily to prevent rust, and keep spring vibrations to a minimum
Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:01 AM
the plastic dip is a good idea, and i will have to do some research on this spring tar, thanks guys.

Next year 155 DB
Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:33 AM
Soo I have no experience in a area like urs but i am a auto body tech so i work with rust alot....why not prime them with rattle can rustoleum primer or use the spray can rubberized truck bed coating

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:38 AM
so somthing like line x? i just wonder how flexable it is

Next year 155 DB

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:42 AM
I suppose.lol or that stuff they advertise on tv "flex seal".......to test that line x stuff u could get a can and just coat some card board or paper and see if it cracks when folded and moved...i mean yes springs get worked and flex but not to the extreme unless ur doing some serious rally driving.haha

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:09 AM
lol i definetyely dont do any rallying haha but yeah thats true that the springs dont flex THAT much. i think im gonna have to make a few phone calls to like x and look into that duplicolor armour coating.

The flex seal is an idea but i dont wanna cheap out and have it start flaking or chipping off and have to take em all apart to respray them. I'm looking for a one time deal sort thing, hince why i am buying all new suspension....... i cheaped out the first time and i've spent more money casue i cheaped out then i would have doing it right the first time.

Next year 155 DB
Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:50 AM
I personally would try some primer cuz it says prevents rust on the can.lol and just from experience...i had primer all over my passenger for when it got hit and the bottom of it got pushed into my car and the primer didn't even flake....i think it would withstand the flexing of the spring...think about all the wrecks and dents u see with a fender crushed in and the paint chipped but the primer is still there

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:34 AM
well i've done some more digging and tein puts on a rust resistant coating before the power coating there springs. i think i still might put something on them just not sure what yet. i have another prob 2 weeks before they get here so i have some time to make up my mind.

i will keep you suggestion in mind daniel and will keep doing research to see what else i may be able to come up with. you guys got some ideas floating around in my head now lol

Next year 155 DB
Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:04 PM
I just used engine enamel on my Goldlines and they've held up just fine for 25k miles. I don't have to deal with salt lol but thick coats should protect them just the same.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:21 PM
i didnt do anything to my goldlines sadly, and after 140,000KM they are rusted to @!#$, im suprised theres any paint left on them at all. that why im getting new springs, dont feel like having these ones getting a weak spot from the rust and snapping on me.

but thanks cruzin another idea to add to the list lol

Next year 155 DB
Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:13 PM
Spitfire wrote:I'm not worried about them looking pretty as my car is a DD and you never see them anyways unless they are on a lft.

So why are you worried about coating them?

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:04 AM
so they dont rust on me like my last set of lowering springs did

Next year 155 DB
Friday, August 17, 2012 4:48 AM
Down here in Chicagoland we have lots of salt on our roads in the winter. I ran s techs on koni yellows for 3 yrs before selling them to my buddy and he's had them for going on 4 years now. When I was working on his car a while back they just looked dirty.......

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:22 AM
really? thats good to know then. maybe they rust protection coating they put on works........

Next year 155 DB

Friday, August 17, 2012 10:21 AM
Being powdercoated they shouldn't rust unless the coating gets compromised. Why not have them clear coated for protection?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:08 PM
Next time he is by my house I'll try and get a pic or two if I remember.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:42 AM
thats a good idea DSM and i can even get them clear coated for free too from a guy at work. i think im gonna go that route. just sucks i was to wait for another 3 weeks before they get here, they got shipped out on the 17th and wont be here till between aug 29th and sept 5th...............

that would be great JUCNBST thanks.

Next year 155 DB
Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:57 PM
Buy a can of the green colour Rust Check. Worked great for mine. Sprayed my goldlines down with it maybe 6 years ago and this summer i bought all new tokico struts and I cleaned them down before putting them on my new struts and they looked like the day I bought them. No rust on them nowhere. But one thing was my car never was drove in the winter or seen salt too. And I live in Newfoundland, Rust Check is your cars best friend

Proud member since 99
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search