Anyone use spring clamps to lower their car? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone use spring clamps to lower their car?
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:45 PM
I know there was a guy on here with a sunfire who used some cheap spring clamps to lower his car. Has anyone else tried this?

I hear its either A: Totally fine and cheap or B: Dangerous and bad.....

LMK

Spring clamps are around $6 each and will drop your car 1-1.5 inches or so i beleive.

96 2.2 5speed
**SOLD**

Re: Anyone use spring clamps to lower their car?
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:04 PM
Close. It's cheap and bad. Not especially dangerous, unless you muck something up. Definately not totally fine. You'll wear out your suspension much faster than normal.

What holds those clamps in place? If they move, or if you don't get it all even, you'll do strange things to your alignment, suspension, and possibly harm other bits and pieces.

IMHO: Do it the right way, or don't do it at all.
At the very lest, don't complain about problems after you do it!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:08 PM
Oh god. If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all. If you cheap it out, you will end up spending more fixing your car later.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 6:41 AM
C.T.S wrote:Close. It's cheap and bad. Not especially dangerous, unless you muck something up. Definately not totally fine. You'll wear out your suspension much faster than normal.

What holds those clamps in place? If they move, or if you don't get it all even, you'll do strange things to your alignment, suspension, and possibly harm other bits and pieces.

IMHO: Do it the right way, or don't do it at all.
At the very lest, don't complain about problems after you do it!

no it is dangerous. what happens when one of those clamps come un-done? its a stupid way to lower your car. save and do it right

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:15 AM
hella dangerous

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:57 AM
Lowering on the stock spring rate basically just means you're going to be bottoming out a LOT, regardless of whether any of the dangerous events actually occur or not.

So even if you really trust your clamps, and really trust your ability to put them on evenly, it's still stupid.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:09 AM
ive never even considered this as an option to lower a car, id rather get some springs on stock struts would do a hell of alot better....but also costs more

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:09 PM
springs on stock strucks would be way better.. sets of springs go as low at under 100 bucks!!!!!!!!! if ur cheaper then that u shouldnt mod a car period at all etc... But even that i wouldnt recomend. Do it right. You put us all in harms way when you do it wrong

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:10 PM
i just looked at your profile, why are u even asking this? i thought you were concidering them but to me it looks like you dont need them. So tell your friend to take them off i guess

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:29 PM
man i cant believe you would even think about doing that. ive heard of people wanting to cut their stock springs. but clamps man dont even think about it. you could atleast buy a cheap set of lowering springs on ebay.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:11 PM
cuting, heating, clamping, and ebay coilovers are something you should NEVER do... ebay and other cheap springs on stock struts are better the the other choices but i wouldnt do that either. Get some agx's and a prokit or bg's or something for the friend... Its really Not that much money.

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was just curious. I dont own the car in my registry anymore. I may very well just get lowering springs, but i read an atricle on Allpar.com where some guys talked about it. Seems really cheap, and yeah i know some people say its bad and some say its good. I've been here for years and knew someone here had done it. And figured i'd see what you guys had to say.

Thanks.

And tell you what i picked up a full set for $16.99....maybe i'll toss them on this weekend, see how it is....... and if it seems ok i'll run them till snowfall (mid september here in canada.. LOL) If they suck i'll just ebay some springs.

96 2.2 5speed
**SOLD**
Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:13 PM
ebay spring

another spring

group purchase

come on man, you can do better then clamps...

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:23 PM
hell, why don't you just clamp em and weld them solid, or for the ultimate drop the old "spring delete", might ride a little harsh though.

Friday, July 22, 2005 1:45 PM
Mine are clamped, never had any problems... See pic

J/K its air

Friday, July 22, 2005 2:54 PM
BlackCav wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I was just curious. I dont own the car in my registry anymore. I may very well just get lowering springs, but i read an atricle on Allpar.com where some guys talked about it. Seems really cheap, and yeah i know some people say its bad and some say its good. I've been here for years and knew someone here had done it. And figured i'd see what you guys had to say.

Thanks.

And tell you what i picked up a full set for $16.99....maybe i'll toss them on this weekend, see how it is....... and if it seems ok i'll run them till snowfall (mid september here in canada.. LOL) If they suck i'll just ebay some springs.

good you what then, throw them on. im gonna laugh my ass off when you put a hole through your quater panel. take peoples advice and listen.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:18 PM
look some can say what they want but cutting spirngs are the worse thing. If you clamp them the only thing you loose is travel nothing else! cuttingyou loooes that and the car will bounce. now is it the best way? NO!!! how ever it will work just fine as long as you dont over load your car! What happens if you use clamps? well it lowers the car!!!! simple as that. no rebound no nothing as far as change.. yes its cheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so you dont want to do this to lower your car? Fine DONT!!! i dont race it i drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:13 PM

Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:27 PM
Yea, a cav at the junkyard was. It was also there for a reason.... Don't do it. Period.
Attachments
Picture1222122008_1.jpg (230k)

Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:13 PM
Philly D wrote:

x2

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:08 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Philly D wrote:

x2

x3......

b coe wrote:look some can say what they want but cutting spirngs are the worse thing. If you clamp them the only thing you loose is travel nothing else! cuttingyou loooes that and the car will bounce. now is it the best way? NO!!! how ever it will work just fine as long as you dont over load your car! What happens if you use clamps? well it lowers the car!!!! simple as that. no rebound no nothing as far as change.. yes its cheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so you dont want to do this to lower your car? Fine DONT!!! i dont race it i drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you really just join a forum to bump a 9 year old thread that was started by a member that has been in active for several years???

To any cheap ass n00b reading this, do it right or don't do it at all. cutting springs = NO, spring clamps = NO, no name junk springs/coil overs on stock struts= NO
If you can afford to buy quality suspension parts, then leave it stock until you can.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:38 PM
i got a buddy who has had his car lowered on these clamps for about 10 years. and he drives the bag off this thing. hes a mechanic and keeps it very maintained. hes got 2 clamps per coil. never has a problem .
Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:15 PM
Is this the same buddy that sold you the coil overs?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:09 PM
Let it go buddy if u ask questions about cheaping out on brakes, suspension or tuning around here you will be flamed & blackballed. As stated before to anyone reading this or that may ask a question about suspensions take my advice just let it go...get a proper setup or cheap out & don't mention it on this forum. You will save yourself alot of criticism.

It beats a Honda!
Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:06 PM
rick - no, different guy. i understand cheap coils and clamps are wrong, but there's some people out there and its working for them. just hang on tight when @!#$ decides to go bad...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search