Neon disc swap how to - Page 8 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:37 PM
To address questions related to the RPVs:

Disc brakes using stock RPVs honestly feel the same as the Wilwood RPVs, at the caliper its a big difference trying the reset the piston. There is without a doubt brake drag with the stock RPVs, but while driving this all goes totally unoticed. There is however a heat difference by touch and smell by the switch of RPVs.

In all total....The new RPVs to some won't be worth the added $50 for both valves, but I don't want to change brakes earlier than I have too.

As for availability, I can get any of these parts for you guys at a drop of a hat. I have talked to WS&F and asked about a group purchase and they will runs some good deals for whoever wants to get in on it. I will get prices for just the valves for those who want to use stock lines and I will give him the BOM to see what he can do for the whole package, including the line for any interested in the whole package. Give me feedback on whether I should start a formal GP or if you want to just do it through email.
eMail: josh@joshandcrystal.com

I just contacted them and they can get all the hardware minus the brake line which can be bought anywhere is $97.98 which includes the 36" SS brake lines.

If your interested I can see about adding to this kit the SS lines for the front to replace the rubber lines for those who want to do that aswell.

I would guess I can work the SS for the front into the deal for around $118.00 in a sum total, which would put you only about $45.00 higher than a nice set of SS brake lines for the stock F-Disc / R-Drum cavalier.

I need 5 guys to get the $97.98, WS&F are very flexible so we can addon the front SS in if you want while I'm there.

Let me know...

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:27 PM
this is some fascinating info on those RPV's. I've never heard of them before.

James and other non gay, I mean non 3rd gen owners... (much love guys heh)... Are our RPV's perhaps built into the master cylinder?

I know that a 3rd gen master cylinder with ABS is comparable to ours, but, is it the EXACT SAME master cylinder? Is it possible our years have this RPV funciton in the master, and in the 3rd gen they made them external?

Curiosity has me here..

Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:00 PM
RPV's are totally optional on disc or drum brakes...many production cars won't have them. There basically just a brake fluid stop for the brake lines, this ensures the caliper remains close to the pads at all times and creates a more consistent brake pedal feel for the driver whenever they're applied. Basically reduces the chances of ever a spongy pedal feel on first applying them. I've done a little research on RPVs and MCs or more to the point RPVs inside MCs and I have found a somewhat good reason to believe that just by visual inspection you can tell if you have them.
Heres an image of a 71 super beetle's MC, you see the brake line going into the larger bolt type thing. That is a RPV, I wouldn't imagine to find RPVs inside the actual MC.
But you can always try my 2x4 piece of wood stuck in the caliper trick as I explained earlier in the thread.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:06 PM
Heres a quote off of Wilwood's RPV package:

A residual pressure valve is used when a master cylinder is mounted equal to or below the horizontal plane of the calipers or drum brake wheel cylinders. This valve prevents fluid flow-back to the master cylinder reservoir which can cause excessive brake travel or "pumping" of the pedal to engage brakes.
Thursday, December 29, 2005 5:21 PM
The 3rd gen MC is the same part as the 2nd gen MC (with the exception of the reservoir- for that matter, I'm not 100% sure of the difference between the ABS and non ABS MCs. They both have the same port layout and use the same reservoir. It must be a valving difference).

I've seen some cars (mostly 70's, similar to Joshuas picture) with an external residual pressure valve/proportioning unit attached to the MC. I don't know if any cars ever had a RPV built into the MC or not.

Joshua Dearman wrote:Heres a quote off of Wilwood's RPV package:

A residual pressure valve is used when a master cylinder is mounted equal to or below the horizontal plane of the calipers or drum brake wheel cylinders. This valve prevents fluid flow-back to the master cylinder reservoir which can cause excessive brake travel or "pumping" of the pedal to engage brakes.

I've sometimes wondered why cars have RPVs when they don't really need it. The J body MC is well above the 4 corners, so its a mystery to me what the engineers were thinking.

Friday, December 30, 2005 10:39 AM
i went to get my parts yesterday at the yard, but didn't have the right size socket for the axle/bearing bolt. so i had to give up and now theres 4in of snow outside so i won't be getting those parts for awhile. ... but i might order all the fittings and such needed, so i have them when i need them

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:31 PM
What, this isn't sticky'd yet?

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:06 PM
I'm sure if someone would write up comprehensive and detailed directsion it would become a sticky. Don't forget the disclaimer too.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:35 PM
I thought thats what the first post was...... minus the disclaimer of course.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:57 PM
i was thinking the same thing, why hasn't this became a sticky yet? i come back to it every other day or so just to double check things, make sure my head is working right.

Quote:

I need 5 guys to get the $97.98, WS&F are very flexible so we can addon the front SS in if you want while I'm there.

how much is this off the original price for everything?..i'm sort of interested, just kind of curious how much the little parts will cost

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:52 PM
I'm not sure how much for just the little parts. I know the 36" SS lines are like $17 or so....don't hold me to that. Also some of these little fittings are as high as $7.75 ea. like the neon caliper fitting #402833 so I would roughly say the fittings w/o the SS lines would be like $63.98 then minus the 2psi RVP's would be like around $30.00. I'm not sure WS&F would want to piece out like this tho..."some people get this but not that and others get that but not this" type of a thing. As everybody knows retail businesses make money on some item but then give away others just to sell that one. If anybody wants just the fitting and wilwood RPVs I think I can do that, but I really think these WS&F guys are giving away the fittings just to sell the RPVs and SS lines. Anyway...it never hurts to ask. Let me know what you guys need and if I can get enough people to buy at one time I don't think it would matter what was or what wasn't bought.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:29 PM
what would the price you quoted earlier include parts wise?

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:34 PM
Hrrrm, how much would some one here want to to the machining to the brackets?

Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:05 PM
Actually, funny you ask. I have machined several sets, and I need to machine another. I will make you an offer. If you get me one set of unmachined/junkyard brackets to save me the trip to my local junkyard, I will machine your for free. It actually doesn't take me that lopng to machine them out.....Earlier in this post I made an offer for $60.00 but nobody bit. Either way, let me know. The brackets are easier to come by depending on where you live. So let me know if you can find two sets of brackets if not a reasonable conpensation and u pay shipping both ways would do it for me.
Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:13 PM
I'm not quite sure I know exactly what your asking Volumeking333.

I quoted $97.98 which included all the fittings, both RPV's, and two 36" SS lines.
I then quoted $118.00 if you wanted to include front SS lines + fittings required for the front SS lines.

All the other prices I quoted above were for only pieces, i.e. $97.98 minus the cost of the two SS lines would be $63.98
Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:40 PM
Email me, Ill paypal you asap for machined brackets. mcorbeil11@aol.com

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:03 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:I'm not quite sure I know exactly what your asking Volumeking333.

I quoted $97.98 which included all the fittings, both RPV's, and two 36" SS lines.
I then quoted $118.00 if you wanted to include front SS lines + fittings required for the front SS lines.

All the other prices I quoted above were for only pieces, i.e. $97.98 minus the cost of the two SS lines would be $63.98

sorry i guess i just got confused on what you were saying in the post aboce, thats cool.

i might hit you up on that deal, and possibly machine work to depending on if i can get it done at school or not

Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:26 AM
bump

Joshua, I might be hitting you up in a month or so for the parts package. do you think this might still be available in say, March?
and I couldn't tell from the pic, but did you use some sort of nylon tape on the fittings?
thanks so much for your hard work and effort.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:51 AM
Yes, I used some tethlon tape on the threads of the RPVs. This offer will be around for as long as people need. I have a resale account at the shop that gave me this pricing. So its not like a GP or anything. I marked up the price about $5.00 just to pay for gas and time but I would like to get at least three ready to go before I bother anybody to purchase the parts. I believe you would be the second. Theres another guy, whos name I have forgotten at the moment, whos interested and sounds like he would be looking around then too.
Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:05 AM
Lets see who wants in?

- Please put your email address on the list. If you dont want to then put your name and send me an email [ josh@joshandcrystal.com ] so I will have your email address. This list can be much larger than 6 if needed. But for some reason I find that this mod is envied by most all, but only tried by few. So we will see......

[MEN].....|.....[BOYS] - what side do you want to be on eh?

March GP:
1.Z24 FReQ (Jarett)
Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:37 AM
well this all depends on when my taxes come in. since I just filed yesterday, hopefully it'll be in in March.
I'll be going for just the rear end stuff. I'm hoping to put a nice set of Baer's in the front. gotta find a machine shop for the brackets.

Desert Tuners

Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:21 AM
Joshua- do you think you can start a new thread somewhere for your GP? I really don't want this locked.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:26 AM
James, thanks to you too for all your hard work man. awesome write up.

Desert Tuners

Thursday, January 26, 2006 5:17 PM
Can do.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:44 PM
March GP:
1.Z24 FReQ (Jarett)
2.ws6+04cav=ftw
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search