Neon disc swap how to - Page 19 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:27 PM
wow, i was expecting at least $50 a cable, not a bad price.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:14 PM
Ya I was expecting the same so when I changed mine I did all three, left, right and the lever assembly. I still can't believe the lever assembly is only $38.....being a dealer part I would have expected $100+

Also, those are GMPP prices...not dealer, in case anybody is wondering.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:35 AM
has anybody had sucess hooking the stock ebrake lines to the neon assembly? this is the next project that i want to tackle


1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd


Re: Neon disc swap how to
Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:29 PM
^ uh, everyone has? minus the 03's



-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, July 13, 2007 12:29 PM
BlkCav wrote:

has anybody had sucess hooking the stock ebrake lines to the neon assembly? this is the next project that i want to tackle


Man........where have you been?!?

Heres my video of the neon swap, it shows how setup the neon ebrake pretty well.
Ignore the brake line modification stuff.....its a little outdated and harder than it needs to be.


Swap Video
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, July 13, 2007 12:52 PM
oops, i'm sorry guys wasnt paying attention

cant wait


1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd


Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, July 16, 2007 12:14 PM
Ok, finally after fighting with this damn thing i've finally won but with a lot of pain.

Swapped in my new re manufactured front calipers with all the fittings and doubled flared the lines ( this time realizing what i was doing wrong) and get perfect flares and nothing is leaking. However, I am out of work for a week w/o pay since i fractured my wrist while trying loosen the vise for the brake flaring tool and when the nut broke free my wrist bone went right into the end of my strut bolt. OUCH! I work in the shipping department of a meat co. So they will not allow me back till dr. clears me.

There was an issue with the boots on the passenger side rear calipers being made out of plastic or some @!#$ and were causing the sliders to freeze up ( so i went to advance and bought a new one and swapped the boots and returned em defective) bled the lines and currently the car is up in the air still on stands. Sucks only being able to work with 1 hand. But i will get out for a test drive tonight.

So i'll update this later tonight or tomorrow.




Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, July 16, 2007 12:32 PM
congrats nitty

now maybe i can get me a answer for this question...

is there anything wrong with the calipers you get from autozone? im having to buy brand new cause i cant find any at the junkyards... any help is appreciated.



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, July 16, 2007 1:00 PM
Nah there is nothing wrong with them other than the rubber boot over the slider on one seemed to be giving the sliders issues. One side had rubber ones, while the other side was more plastic texture. The plastic one was giving me all sorts of problems. Advance doesn't have an option of thread size like auto zone does, thats the only reason i went with auto zone.



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, July 16, 2007 8:33 PM
what thread size do i need?



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, July 16, 2007 9:35 PM
7/16-20 I believe it was.

Just make sure the last number is a 20 and not a 24 and you'll be all set. I know that FOR SURE!




Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:04 AM
ok so i just go to autozone online and make purchase then is there an option to specify thread size?



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:30 AM
i would think so, i bought mine in store so i'm not 100% sure.





Re: Neon disc swap how to
Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:45 PM
FINALLY got the daytona's completely working. to anyone contemplating it, its a LOT of work compared to the neon setup. looks f'n great though w/ my nwf fronts though . i'll post pix later of the final brake setup, and my old full neon setup is f/s for whoever wants.........



-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, July 30, 2007 8:15 AM
Theres no "clapping hands" emoticon, but if there was, I'd post it.




Re: Neon disc swap how to
Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:02 PM
Well apparently.... If you paint your calipers and then install your kit. Its a bad idea....

Pulled my car into the drive way at home tonight and noticed a yellow substance ish on my driveway. I thought it was oil at first, but then remembered my oil is purple. I pop my hood and look around, then notice my brake fluid resovoir is almost empty...

Go right to the rear of my car looking for leaks. My passenger side leaked all over the inside of my @!#$ rim and i then freaked out knowing what brake fluid does to paint and immediately hit them with degreaser and soap and got em clean in time before alot of damage was done. There is a haze where it started to eat away at them. I'm friggen pissed. I started to look at my connections and they are bone dry, wtf.... then noticed where you have to use a crush washer and the XRP fitting the paint was all bubbled and soaked in fluid. The crush washer didnt seal to the metal since there was paint between the 2 and now after some use the fluid ate the paint away and now leaked all over my @!#$ car.

I am soo god damn fed up with my car.... i've decided to move on and just sell the damn thing after i fix this issue. I'm going to have to re-do the driver side since its the same situation, just hasn't happend yet.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, August 03, 2007 9:28 AM
Nity9CavSedanCRJ (RDFABS) wrote:

hen noticed where you have to use a crush washer and the XRP fitting the paint was all bubbled and soaked in fluid. The crush washer didnt seal to the metal since there was paint between the 2 and now after some use the fluid ate the paint away and now leaked all over my @!#$ car.


Uh...
not really sure why you're bothering to post this. It's common sense you should mask off areas where there are threads, rubber, and sealing/precision surfaces when you paint something!

Furthermemore I don't think paint would be thick enough to cause this issue. Did you use a crush washer on BOTH sides of the fitting? Or just one?

Did you check the torque value for the bolt witha torque wrench? It's critical as it's designed to crush X amount.



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, August 03, 2007 2:11 PM
Nity9CavSedanCRJ (RDFABS) wrote:

Well apparently.... If you paint your calipers and then install your kit. Its a bad idea....

Pulled my car into the drive way at home tonight and noticed a yellow substance ish on my driveway. I thought it was oil at first, but then remembered my oil is purple. I pop my hood and look around, then notice my brake fluid resovoir is almost empty...

Go right to the rear of my car looking for leaks. My passenger side leaked all over the inside of my @!#$ rim and i then freaked out knowing what brake fluid does to paint and immediately hit them with degreaser and soap and got em clean in time before alot of damage was done. There is a haze where it started to eat away at them. I'm friggen pissed. I started to look at my connections and they are bone dry, wtf.... then noticed where you have to use a crush washer and the XRP fitting the paint was all bubbled and soaked in fluid. The crush washer didnt seal to the metal since there was paint between the 2 and now after some use the fluid ate the paint away and now leaked all over my @!#$ car.

I am soo god damn fed up with my car.... i've decided to move on and just sell the damn thing after i fix this issue. I'm going to have to re-do the driver side since its the same situation, just hasn't happend yet.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Royal Purple doesn't stay purple.

When I painted my calipers, I left the fitting plugs in them (they were new). But I also doubt the thickness of the paint is the root of the leak. I'd venture to say it wasn't tightened down enough.



Protonus wrote:

Furthermemore I don't think paint would be thick enough to cause this issue. Did you use a crush washer on BOTH sides of the fitting? Or just one?


These are direct female fittings, not banjo's. Only one crush washer for each side.






Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, August 03, 2007 2:20 PM
muffin wrote:

When I painted my calipers, I left the fitting plugs in them (they were new)


That's how I did it too, but even a wad of gum would be better then nothing heh

Quote:


These are direct female fittings, not banjo's. Only one crush washer for each side.


My bad, mine used Banjo's (I have the daytona). Guess I assumed these did tooo.



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, August 03, 2007 4:57 PM
i have banjo fittings on mine, Neon, Sebring set-up.





Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, August 03, 2007 6:39 PM
Banjos as well -- 05 SRT-4 Calipers










Re: Neon disc swap how to
Saturday, August 04, 2007 9:36 AM
i did leave the plugs in the holes thinking it would be fine... But there was still a little left on the surface, I only used 1 crush washer since that what came with the XRP fittings from josh. I am in no mood to deal with this @!#$ car right now. It up on jack stands again for the 5th time this year. I'll dick around with it maybe next week and remove the fittings go down to the bare metal and reinstall the fittings into the calipers.



Re: Neon disc swap how to
Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:07 AM
If its a banjo, you need two crush washers. Everything else (adapters, etc) should only need one. But....... I have had issues with aluminum adapters, copper washers, and steel threads. For some reason, the aluminum just won't crush the washer enough against the steel. I ended up using two stacked crush washers on all those type fittings. You could always use buna-type washers, or something with a rubber seal built in. That will work just fine.




Re: Neon disc swap how to
Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:54 PM
Anybody talk to Josh? Ive been trying to get a hold of him to get 1 of th 2 kits he has left.











~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
______________________
WHITECAVY no more
2012 numbers - 4SPD AUTOMATIC!!
328 HP
306 TQ
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:39 AM
The fittings Cody has are steel with 1 aluminum crush washer, you might try getting a copper washer which might help with sealing even tho I've never heard of anybody else have any issues with the aluminum washers.

David....Sorry I've been away at work...rather isolated when I'm out here, no internet or anything. I'm off today and wont be off again until Thursday. I've got you down for one of them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search