Rear Trailing arm extension? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Trailing arm extension?
Monday, February 14, 2011 4:55 PM
Does anyone have the plans to extend the rear trailing arm so that the wheel isn't all sucked in like mine is currently. Please help me fix this here is a pic of it.

Re: Rear Trailing arm extension?
Monday, February 14, 2011 5:06 PM
i have mine done, got it from Jason. But was working on making mine when his came available.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:17 PM
i want some like this for my car too even on coils

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:14 PM
It shouldnt be that hard should it? Cut forward of the hub area. Measure etc etc. Insert metal. Weld. Donez.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:38 AM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:It shouldnt be that hard should it? Cut forward of the hub area. Measure etc etc. Insert metal. Weld. bracing, and sleeve. Donez.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:27 PM
ot but amazing pic op.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:55 PM
I was just talking to a friend with a Dub, I guess they have a camber plate that moves the wheel back a bit. I'll ask him for a link to it.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:56 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:I was just talking to a friend with a Dub, I guess they have a camber plate that moves the wheel back a bit. I'll ask him for a link to it.

That sound sketchy as @!#$, which means VW guys must love it. Note, if VW guys do it, its typically a bad idea.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:58 PM
Hate all you want, they've been doing this a lot longer than we have.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:26 PM
They call them Great Plates

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4367606-gt-BRAND-NEW-From-MASON-Tech-GREAT-PLATES!!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:30 PM
Humm good idea who is going to make them for us there could be a market with the balts too

see ya!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:16 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:Hate all you want, they've been doing this a lot longer than we have.

Doesnt mean that it is a good idea..

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:10 AM
great plates are, well.... great. on a dub. I fail to understand how a tried and true product is not a good idea....

The plates mount between the rear trailing arm mounts and the uni-body. SO, basically without cutting off the mount for the rear trailing arm on the J, it wont work.

Quote:

It shouldnt be that hard should it? Cut forward of the hub area. Measure etc etc. Insert metal. Weld. Donez.

Not sure how CUTTING your trailing arm and extending it is a better idea than using a half inch thick piece of steel as a spacer. Though on the J I don't believe there is a better way...

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:11 AM
I misinterpreted where they were bolting them, I was thinking they bolted them to the hub.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:24 PM
I thought the same initially... kind of like you could clock the bearing back, and move it up. But no, that is not how they work.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:32 PM
But... I could make a plate that does that... haha

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:15 PM
Though about it... though I haven't put much effort into the rear end... Was thinking IRS swap would eliminate the need for any additional fab work...

Friday, February 18, 2011 7:16 PM
Spencer wrote:i have mine done, got it from Jason. But was working on making mine when his came available.

link, or it doesnt exist. i assume you mean A+ Jason......but still, you got a linky?

i would like to buy/save up and pray.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search