DIY Big brakes - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DIY Big brakes
Monday, February 28, 2011 6:41 AM
Im working on gathering parts for an "off the shelf" big brake kit for the front of the cavalier. I want to be able to walk into any parts store and get replacement pads and rotors without having to roder and wait for them to be shipped.

I have a line on 2 different sets of aluminum 4 piston calipers. One uses a 30mm rotor thickness and the other uses the same 20mm as the cavalier does.

I know custom brackets will need to be made, thats the easy part.

What Im having a hard time finding are larger rotors that are 5x100 and dont need to be redrilled.

The cavalier is 258.8mm, I know the SRT4 uses 280mm rotors which are nearly 7/8" larger. Problem with the SRT4 rotors is that they are 28mm thick.

I found a set of non-aluminum calipers that use a 30mm rotor that would work, just sucks from the weight.

Are there other options for a larger rotor that isnt that much thicker? I know it is better for them to be thicker for heat absorbtion.

At this point, Im thinking the aluminum calipers with the stock rotors are sounding the best. Id just rather have a larger diameter rotor as well.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: DIY Big brakes
Monday, February 28, 2011 10:07 AM
I thought the guys doing the nwf swap figured you Can use etc sti rotors iirc

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:59 AM
I looked at the impreza rotors, dont remember the reason why I didnt look at them more.

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:17 PM
The STI rotors and 98-02 Camaro calipers are the combo that I will be running. Im using a 3mm spacer behind the rotor so I dont have to grind the piss out of the spindle. You have to mod the caliper bracket from the camaro and make a bracket to attach that to the jbody spindle. Ill have pictures in about 2-3 weeks when I complete the setup. And I have contact info on someone who can make the setup or mod/make the brackets for you.

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:35 PM
I wont be using camaro calipers, I plan to use most likely, 2nd gen RX7 calipers as they are 4 piston, not 2.

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:38 PM
Im not sure about the thickness of the rx7 rotors I think the sti are thicker than the jbody rotors.

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:44 PM
Your stock MC isnt going to like 4 piston calipers from what Ive been told. Id look into a larger MC or sticking with a 2 piston setup.

Monday, February 28, 2011 1:07 PM
I have a 24mm/.944" non abs master cylinder on there right now, from an olds cutlass supreme.

The stock cavalier is 7/8"/.875" and the RX7 unit that runs the 4 piston fronts and 1 piston rears is 15/16"/.9375".

I should be good MC wise.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:30 PM
my stock MC operated my 4 pot wilwoods perfectly pedal travel is very nice

Friday, March 04, 2011 4:15 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Your stock MC isnt going to like 4 piston calipers from what Ive been told. Id look into a larger MC or sticking with a 2 piston setup.

Try doing some research before spewing stuff that you obviously have no idea about.

Friday, March 04, 2011 4:59 PM
actually that is right a mojority of the time, like on my omni, to use the larger stock brakes from a caravan you have to use a 1/2 ton truck m/c to make it happy. J cars just dont mind i guess

Friday, March 04, 2011 5:43 PM
it doesn't matter how many pistons there are, what matters is the area.

Friday, March 04, 2011 6:53 PM
Listening and ready for any updates. What year sti rotors fit ? And what has to be done to camaro calipers to make fit ?
4 piston calipers would be nice though

Friday, March 04, 2011 7:04 PM
Spencer wrote:actually that is right a mojority of the time, like on my omni, to use the larger stock brakes from a caravan you have to use a 1/2 ton truck m/c to make it happy. J cars just dont mind i guess

Wow, someone else used to be into 80's FWD Mopar performance I see.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, March 04, 2011 7:20 PM
sti rotors may need to have the hub bore bored out as subaru's run smaller hub diameters than the j-body's

Friday, March 04, 2011 8:22 PM
Roofy wrote:
Spencer wrote:actually that is right a mojority of the time, like on my omni, to use the larger stock brakes from a caravan you have to use a 1/2 ton truck m/c to make it happy. J cars just dont mind i guess

whats the "used" to be bussiness, lol. Building my 2nd GLH-T right now. Block and crank just got back from the machine shop today. T2 turbo goin out to be modded this week.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 9:54 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Your stock MC isnt going to like 4 piston calipers from what Ive been told. Id look into a larger MC or sticking with a 2 piston setup.

Try doing some research before spewing stuff that you obviously have no idea about.

I dont spew useless nonsense. Ive been told that by talking to a few members here. I guess I should run all of my posts by you to filter for accuracy.

Notice the wording. I said Ive been told and I suggested what I would do. I didnt say "Goddammit listen to me I know everything." Just offering advice.

Sorry for going OT. Carry on with the discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 05, 2011 9:55 AM

Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:38 AM
Roofy wrote:

My first car was a 89 dodge shadow t1 turbo

Sunday, March 06, 2011 3:14 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:it doesn't matter how many pistons there are, what matters is the area.

This.

I always find it funny that no one seems to understand this.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:28 PM
ugh, ill take measurements tomorrow of a stock caliper. Stock vs. the 4 pots for area.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:39 PM
What if you have the N-body spindles, hubs and calipers with the 114.5mm bolt pattern, any STI 12 or 13" rotors that will work? I also already have a set of LS1 Z28 dual piston calipers I'm going to use.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:58 PM
bump , any updates on this ?

Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:38 AM
I just re read this old thread. Those 28mm thick rotors will work with the caliper designed for 30mm rotors I mean that would be like using a slightly worn rotor. I fit was really a concern you could just shim the pad with 1mm thick shims on each pad.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search