3rd gen Ecotec swap how-to - Page 7 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3rd gen Ecotec swap how-to
Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:25 AM
Hey, when I asked a junkyard for a transmission they said a sunfire of the same year (04) will fit. Is this true?

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09

Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:01 PM
Yes.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:41 PM
thanks

Thursday, April 01, 2010 5:28 PM
03-05 ecos from cav or fire all same long as auto to auto(with out doing swapp etc) manuel to manuel.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:35 PM
bluedriftcavy(a.k.a. wayne) wrote:03-05 ecos from cav or fire all same long as auto to auto(with out doing swapp etc) manuel to manuel.

Lol manual to manual spell check is your friend lol

Erik Packard
Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:37 PM
textin from phone not the easiest and some links dont work. so lol

Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:40 PM
Right on wasnt making fun of you at all just thought it was funny man its all good

Erik Packard
Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:52 PM
If I do a swap from a 2.2 3-speed tranny to a 2.2 4-speed tranny, do I have to replace the shifter cable, cluster, and shifter immediatly, or can I wait to do it until sometime later after the swap.

What I'm wondering really is will my car and engine be okay if I leave it?

((auto tranny))

Monday, April 05, 2010 3:21 AM
to go 3 speed to 4 speed youre going to need the trans mount, the cables, the shifter assembly, and axles.

Cluster you should be able to wait on but the rest you will need.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Monday, April 05, 2010 8:35 AM
Why is this not a sticky.

Monday, April 05, 2010 11:16 AM
Why the transmission mount? I thought they were the same?

Monday, April 05, 2010 11:26 AM
3 speed mount is different from 4 speed.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Monday, April 05, 2010 11:27 AM
>_< okay

and by cables you mean cable? just the one shift cable? or is there another?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:58 PM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, i am able to get my hands on a 03 2.2 eco and tranny, but it is from a grand am. What differences does it make? I need a harness and an oil pan from a J-body? Anything else?
Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:06 AM
don't think you need the oil pan you need the engine harness from a J body and depends on what your you have if your 99 and older look up eco swap for pre 00 cause you will need alot more stuff if your 00+ then your set

grand am drive shafts are a smidge longer but if your 00+ then you can use the same shafts aslong as your 5spd to 5spd or auto to auto

this kinda thread is ment ot be brought back from the dead just so you know

if you were to bring back a thread like what do you think of my dogs fluffly tail then people would snap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:04 AM
yea this thread is def a list topper came in handy when i did my swaps. i even printed it to a quick guide book for my self lol.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:21 PM
I have a 00 2200 cavalier, 4 speed auto. So will the mounts, rad and hoses from the GA fit in my cav.
Friday, February 04, 2011 3:13 PM
so im doing an l61 swap into my 2002 ohv cav and i have a few questions i hope you guys can help me with, first off my donor motor is from a 2004 cavy i picked it up for 75 bucks and all thats wrong with it is a timing chain guide, now can i find a bell housing and swap the ohv bell housing out for a cavalier ecotec bell housing and still use the same trans, second is about my wiring harness...any ECOTEC engine wiring harness will plug into my body interface plug by the master cylinder correct? and i plan on getting cams and bolt ons during the swap and i wanted to run bigger injectors, will dsm 450's work on the ecotec? i will be getting either a megasquirt standalone or hp tuners im not sure, oh and i would like to know if there is anymore tuning software out there for these l61 cavys too can somebody point me in the right direction?
Sunday, February 06, 2011 7:23 AM
just get a transmission don't swap the bellhousing sell the trans to someone doin a 3X00 swap it will cost you more money to get the stuff to swap bellhousings also yes it will plug in just fine on 00+

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, February 07, 2011 10:30 AM
any idea if dsm 450's will work on an l61?
Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:05 PM
Jazer wrote:Why is this not a sticky.

Friday, July 08, 2011 8:26 PM
Bringing back from the dead, a couple questions real fast. 1 WHY THE HELL ISN'T THIS STICKIED?!?! 2, I have a 05 malibu classic parts car with the eco in it. I'm going to use that. I have been told I can use the pcm, engine and trans out of it. Not the engine harness tho so I know ill need that. Will I need a oil pan?? 3 is there anything else ill need. I can't use the exhaust system so I bought a aftermarket header with a down spout to hook up to my exhaust system 00 Z Vert, so I'm thinking ill be ok there. The engine is a normal eco with the throttle cable and ps pump so ill be good there, and the fuel line look the same as a norma J's so I think ill be good there. Am I forgetting anything?? I have a aftermarket intake system coming, a solid upper mount coming, and I already have a urethane dog bone mount waiting. So other then the harness, what am I missing?? Thanks guys for the input, and when this gets done ill have pics and such of the swap, and maybe I can add a how too swap a 05 malibu classic eco into a 00+ J section into this!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:09 PM
bump bump bump for sticky woot woot
Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:23 PM
have 2000 cav z24 auto, getting 02 sunfire gt 2.2 5 speed, donor car so i have all parts. reading all the way though this it seems someone or 2 have done this swap. few questions
1 does anyone have pics of the modified trans mount?
2 i'm assuming clutch pedal mounting is all there, just have to do do knock outs?
3 i use the CV shafts from the donor right?
4 its easiest to swap PCM and BCM and harness, since i have the donor, right?
5 if i do this i won't have to worry about the security lockout thing?
6 what other issues will i run into? i'd like to do this whole thing this weekend, so if there's anything i can be prepare for that'd be great.
Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:23 PM
take everything under the hood minus the ac dryer can n coolant tank n swap it.oover. example rad ac n lines motor trans mounts ext. the coolant tank,dog bone, headlamp harness, airbox, all same so dont matter. since auto to stickdrill out the frame rail sections and weld them in this way all stays way u need it. 2000+ cars are the same where as some say pre00 is slightly diff five speed mounts. yes axles swap over since the pass is alot longer then auto.i assume the bolts n access to add the clutch is all there.
dont need the bcm unless u wanna know the miles on the motor. i left mine so i know miles one body. i wrote down motor in my manual vs body so ill always know miles on motor. in ur case bcm swap os mainly a miles preferance. the computer under the hood def swaps over with the engine harness. harness removes in the bay under brake booster. the inerior body harness will remain. the security relearn will still.need to be done to learn ur key. its simple to do hust follow the post avaible on the org. by ur self auto to stick will prob take u longer then the weekend pending how fast u work what routes u take on the trams mounts and how fast m persistant u are. and tools avible. good luck its a fun swap i love doing them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search