Tylers 02 LSS project - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tylers 02 LSS project
Friday, March 22, 2013 8:45 PM
ok well i gues i figured id start a slow going project thread for the 02 LSS i got 2weeks ago

2002 Cavalier LS Sport
2.2 L61
auto trans
Victory red with black interior

-plans- tint, system, toyota cavalier tail lights, 02 LSS lip, eibach springs and new struts, eventualy rebuilt motor with supercharged, rebuild trans with shift kit, poly/solid motor and trans mounts, header and exhuats, ya know just the basics

welp, heres som pics from the night i got it until just now

so far, iv done soft glow white xenon interior bulbs, LED tag light, strut tower bars, k&n air filter, order new fender badges, grabed the lip off my 00 z24 thats sadly in a junkyard now and did some major cleaning on her

shop that did the decal messed it up putting it on so they are doing it again later this week

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Re: Tylers 02 LSS project
Friday, March 22, 2013 8:47 PM
well thats it so far, we shall see what this week brings, maybe the FedEx guy will leave me some nice boxes for me on my porch for me to find when i get home from work

...j

Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:05 AM
Z badges on a LSS? That is blasphemy.

You dont need to rebuild the motor for the M62. Honestly very very very few have been near the hp level that would require stronger internals with the M62

Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:00 PM
Is that a Chevy?

Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:50 PM
yea i know its an LSS but she kinda fills the void that my 00 Z24 left behind..... in my opinion, i honestly dont see any differences between an 02 LSS L61 and an 02 Z24 LD9 besides the motor

and idk if the badges are staying, would like to find some sort of L61 badges for the fenders or have some kind of badge that says LSS made up for it, trunk and hood badges i plan on removing this week if i have time so the back window decal (which is being redone better by the shop that did a horrific job) doesnt look over kill

welp anyways, looks like UPS left me more presents

thinking these may be original

hmm more boxes?

doesnt really show in pics but the stock headlights are fading, so why not get eagle eyes replacements for now? (plan on black housing. possibly do them myself but gona experiment on the originals first to be safe

the new headlights already had bulbs in em, i dont like em they are kinda dim

...j

Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:54 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Z badges on a LSS? That is blasphemy.

You dont need to rebuild the motor for the M62. Honestly very very very few have been near the hp level that would require stronger internals with the M62

so even with 124,048 miles ud still think runing an m62 on it would be safe? i would think i should replace the timing chain and tensioner ect first if the internals can handle it fine, it does make a very very very quite flutter from the chain casing when its cold for about 15-25 seconds then goes away, only does it after sitting for a few hours tho, if im not mistaken, isnt the chain tensioner oil PSI drivin? could just be wearing out im pretty sure the motors never been apart from what i can tell

...j

Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:58 PM
So toss a timing set in it. I have a Harrop blower on my eco with 95K mile on it. Im not worried.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:46 PM
Harrop? never heard of that before iv only ever heard about using the SC off of a cobalt, i havnt looked into it much yet because i still have a little left to pay the car off so it will be several months before i do anything serious to it

WELL anyway today was MAJOR cleaning day, my issues were the rear wheels, baked on brake dust, wheels looked burnt brown and gold and stuff just would not come off, took car of that, from halfway down the drivers door forward was a ton of over sprap from when the 1/4 panel was fixed, took care of that, both front fenders and front bumper the paint was oxidized and felt like sand paper and was turning white. took car of that too, and a major clean and shine inside...

the over spray and oxidation of the paint didnt show up in pics but heres what i do have, paint is as smoooottthhh as glass now, thanks to Mothers California Gold clay bar kit

used those soapy brillo pads for kitchen stuff inside the spokes on the wheels, heres a test pic, they did actually come up perfect...

after clay baring, buffing and waxing

attempted to kinda clean the engine bay a little, i was runing out of day light

nothing special here completly stock still... just clean, cleanest iv ever seen in person, around here LSS and Z24s are hard to find so what base models there are usualy are trashed.

...j

Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:55 PM
Looks clean!

I don;t know about everyone else, but I see a huge difference in the old vs. new lights, looks great!

While I do not care for EcoTec motors, I adore the 00-02 Z24 emblems and I approve!
On the Eco subject, love the polished valve cover!

Rims turned out great, at first I thought they were pitted, but realized it was water droplets!

Not a big fan of the giant chevy emblem on the rear window, but thats my only pet peeve.

You have any plans for lowering?
Intake?
Exhaust?

What does the future hold?

On a side note, check out this thread, few people are selling lips for the 00-02 front bumper.
click here, this thread.

Building it one piece at a time
Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:46 PM
Really clean man looks nice. I need to do the same thing with my LSS rims, they look terrible.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, March 25, 2013 7:55 AM
Nice car. Glad to see you're cleaning it up and taking care of it before going nuts with upgrades. No very common around here.

I find it odd that it's an LSS and it doesn't have a front lip, though.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:32 AM
Josh Watson wrote:Looks clean!

I don;t know about everyone else, but I see a huge difference in the old vs. new lights, looks great!

While I do not care for EcoTec motors, I adore the 00-02 Z24 emblems and I approve!
On the Eco subject, love the polished valve cover!

Rims turned out great, at first I thought they were pitted, but realized it was water droplets!

Not a big fan of the giant chevy emblem on the rear window, but thats my only pet peeve.

You have any plans for lowering?
Intake?
Exhaust?

What does the future hold?

On a side note, check out this thread, few people are selling lips for the 00-02 front bumper.
click here, this thread.

yea im still un decided on the rear window decal myself, as far as plan, since this one is my dd, im thinking hmmm oh idk a super charger , intake, headers, exhaust, rebuild the auto trans with HD clutches and a shift kit and better servos and LSD, eibach springs (cant decide which ones yet) kyb struts, tint (rear windows 5% front 15%, windshield brow 5 killer sound system, and a LSS lip, wana keep it looking stock outside and just extremely clean

oh and also i much rather have 2.3/2.4 but i fell for this LSS as soon as i saw it and couldnt pass it up, i did over pay, and it was from a dealer, and has been totaled before (hit in the rear) but it was fixed right and its striaght, i even had it on an alignment rack at my work to make sure and it all checks out perfect.

Mr. Quick wrote:Nice car. Glad to see you're cleaning it up and taking care of it before going nuts with upgrades. No very common around here.

I find it odd that it's an LSS and it doesn't have a front lip, though.

yea well i learned my lesson with my 00 z24 LD9 5 speed, dived straight into the motor said screw everything else, needless to say i didnt have the car long....

and yea i find it odd also it doesnt have a lip? but it also had no badges on it, im only ASSUMING its an LSS because its not a 2.4. could it be a z24? i thought z24s in 02 all had 2.4s and the LSS had the 2.2 OHV? when i poped the hood on this one i was amazed to see an ecotec....

and yea this go around im more or less priding the car for its looks, trying to keep it as clean, and a subtle as possible, sorry if it came off as i started with simple upgrages or WOW DECALS ARE AWSOME!, no lol besides adding an LSS lip the exterior is not going to change much from what is is now besides a drop and MAYBE some other wheels, but im thinking of just keeping the LSS wheels, still trying to achieve the sleep look for when its boosted

...j

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:34 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:Really clean man looks nice. I need to do the same thing with my LSS rims, they look terrible.

i used a kitchen brillo pad, its steel wool that has soap in it, WARNING DO NOT USE IT ON ANY POLISHED SURFACE IT WILL SCRATCH IT!, i ONLY used it on the textured areas in between the spokes, some good wheel cleaner and a soft cloth on the polished surfaces

...j

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:47 PM
Tyler Howland wrote:and yea i find it odd also it doesnt have a lip? but it also had no badges on it, im only ASSUMING its an LSS because its not a 2.4. could it be a z24? i thought z24s in 02 all had 2.4s and the LSS had the 2.2 OHV? when i poped the hood on this one i was amazed to see an ecotec....

In 02 the Z24s had the 2.4, the LS/base models had the OHV, and the LSS had the eco.

BTW, the Harrop is the bigger better brother to the M62.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:04 PM
ahhh ok makes since, thanks Tinkles(KGM), roughly how much PSI does a harrop or an m62 make? not trying to go nuts wana keep my motor in one piece as long as possible lol

...j

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:16 AM
Keep in mind PSI doesnt blow engines. Bad tunes and making more power than the parts are rated for blows engines.

PSI depends on what size pulley you run. Smaller pulley = more psi. With a 2.9" pulley on my M62 i saw ~12-13psi. With a 3.3" pulley i see ~15-16psi on my Harrop. Plus the air isnt heated up as much as with the M62.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 4:29 PM
ok cool, i have to hunt for a place that can do really good tunes,

update, none to the cav, however my 1985 IROC Z28 might be going bye bye for good tomorow and in return bringing home a 1972 Chevrolet Nova

...j

Saturday, April 06, 2013 12:36 PM
That really clean, nice job!

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Friday, May 03, 2013 6:06 AM
not really any updates just keepin her pretty

HOWEVER, possibly installing glow shift guages on the a-pillar i had in my 00z24, ill post some pics when they are in

...j

Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:48 PM
204K miles on my blown Ecotec, so far so good. been blown for over 35k miles.
take care of the car and it should take care of you. build a modest stage1 from a Cobalt SS/SC (2005-06) and you'll enjoy it and keep it well within the safe range (like Tinkles said).
very clean though, and keeping your engine bay/undercarriage of the car clean will go a long way. helps you identify leaks and other issues much faster. plus regular cleaning prevents build up and makes spotting necessary replacements easier (ground connections, frayed, wires, loose bolts, etc).

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:28 AM
yea i doo a deep clean on it every 2 weeks as far as washing it, i did notice a small oil leak from the timing cover seal up towards the top but it needs a timing chain and tensioner and guides anyway so im not to worried about it

sorry i havnt posted pics of the new guages havnt had the time

...j

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:36 AM
heres some pics of the guages and my LSS and the wifeys LSS together

...j

Thursday, May 09, 2013 12:18 PM
Lookin good! Not feelin the chevy emblem on the window, but otherwise its really clean!

Thursday, May 09, 2013 12:42 PM
Boost gauge with no forced induction?!?!?!
Friday, May 31, 2013 6:04 PM
I never really liked the side skirts on the blue LSS. They look so plain. I always preferred the Z24 side skirts like on your red one. But they both look nice!

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search