HELP! Whats wrong with my car? Coolant? Won't Start. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP! Whats wrong with my car? Coolant? Won't Start.
Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I really don't know much about cars, but I can't figure out what's wrong with my car and could use any help I could get. I have a 97 Sunfire with about 70k miles. Recently, I have been waking up in the morning, around 8am when its roughly 19-20degrees out here in NJ. Car starts up fine, and I run to get coffee. When I come back out to start the car again however, it won't start. It cranks, but doesn't turnover. I try and try but it doesnt start. This has happened 3 times now. After waiting about 20 or so minutes though, and stepping on the gas a little, it will eventually turn over and turn on, and act as if nothing is wrong. (I don't know if its the pumping of the gas, since it is fuel injected, or if its the waiting 20 or so minutes that is making it start).

Also, I have been noticing two other odd things going on. My low coolant light goes on quite often, the red one with the arrow and the waves. Also, my temperature gauge seems to steadily rise as I drive and usually gets up to the yellow, and sometimes the red, which is 280 i think? I have a feeling this has something to do with the problem.

So what could be causing all this? Any diagnosis? I am just a young girl and don't really have anyone to ask about this car stuff, nor do I have the diposable income to go to a mechanic at this moment. Any help you guys could offer would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time and hope to hear from some soon!

Re: HELP! Whats wrong with my car? Coolant? Won't Start.
Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:43 AM
sounds like it's just too hot for the computer to let the engine start, which is because you are low on coolant. So to fix this,

1. Go to anywhere where they sell premixed DexCool coolant. Some gas stations might even have it
2. Open your hood
3. Open the coolant reservoir or it might go straight in the rad, (I'm not sure what kind of car you have.)
4. Pour some in until it hits the coolant full line
5. Close reservoir
6. Close hood
7. Keep driving, and keep an eye on the level. If it's leaking, you may need to do some work to find the location of the leak... which could be anything and anywhere...
Thursday, February 05, 2009 12:00 PM
For 1.

Don't pump the gas, it does nothing. If your car doesn't start, hold the gas pedal half way and try again. If it still doesn't, hold it wide open and try again.

Additionally, since you've been driving it around when it's clearly overheating, you've now destroyed the head gasket for sure, and possibly done more damage to the head. Good job. It's gonna be a hefty bill.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:00 PM
If that;s the case, how hefty of a bill are we talking? How mush work does it take for a mechanic to fix a head gasket? what if the head needs to be fixed as well?
Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:31 PM
Depends on where you live, out of town in ohio, around 350 - 500 bucks, not including a head if you need one.
You might want to take it to a mechanic that you trust to diagnose a head gasket problem. might cost you 30-50 bucks to do that though. Better than taking it some where and telling them its a head gasket they change it and it isnt.
If you can fill up the coolant resivoir and it doesnt over heat or shove coolant out of the top of the coolant bottle with the lid on, then you should be good. The lid for the coolant resivoir has a pressure relief valve on it. This passes coolant if the pressure rises above 15-16 pounds in the coolant system. Often if the head gasket has blown the pressure will increase and push the coolant out from there. Keep in mind that it is also possible that the cap is worn out or broken causing the same thing. Pretty much if coolant comes out the lid, put on a new one and see if that fixes it.
Reguardless of what we guess it needs, you obviously have coolant going some where and you need to find out where. You have to fix that leak before going any further.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search