Finally got a solid time at the track - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Finally got a solid time at the track
Saturday, January 27, 2007 11:35 AM
Alrighty, went to speedworld last night and ran the CavFire with the Single Stage NX kit, setup for a 75 shot. Spun through first.... then halfway through second... then finally got grip and ended up runnin a 14.66 @ 97 mph... not the greatest but for only being at 600 psi at the time I ran it wasn't horrible either... now all I need is a bottle warmer & a set of drag radials and I do believe I just might be able to peg 13's. Taxtime needs to get here! =)

Btw: Vid gonna be up soon as Jess either posts it or sends it to me to post it... lol...

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!

Re: Finally got a solid time at the track
Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:50 PM
Nice time, but I not sure you wil get 13's as it sits.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:58 PM
if he get's the drag radials,runs a 100 shot and retards his timing,i'm sure he'll get 13's,but a bottle warmer will most def. help,you need to run at least 900 psi ,decent time though

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:51 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:if he get's the drag radials,runs a 100 shot and retards his timing,i'm sure he'll get 13's,but a bottle warmer will most def. help,you need to run at least 900 psi ,decent time though

Yeah with a 100 shot. I'm saying with his current set-up and tires. 97mph is not going to get the 13's.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:15 PM
the bottle warmer will help alot. he can definitly get into the 13,s with a bottle warmer on the 75 shot

Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:52 PM
smart guy chimes in again,hmmm let's see bottle warmer=higher psi=better performance out of his kit , no i think he should put two bottle warmers on to get into the 13's,your an idiot,you get my last message Cake ,spring time,find a track between mi and ill.that is where you live right?and your right john he won't get much better with the current setup

Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:18 AM
John Higgins wrote:
BIGGSZ24 wrote:if he get's the drag radials,runs a 100 shot and retards his timing,i'm sure he'll get 13's,but a bottle warmer will most def. help,you need to run at least 900 psi ,decent time though

Yeah with a 100 shot. I'm saying with his current set-up and tires. 97mph is not going to get the 13's.

he would get a better trap higher bottle pressure means more nitrous going into the motor

BIGGSZ24 wrote:smart guy chimes in again,hmmm let's see bottle warmer=higher psi=better performance out of his kit , no i think he should put two bottle warmers on to get into the 13's,your an idiot,you get my last message Cake ,spring time,find a track between mi and ill.that is where you live right?and your right john he won't get much better with the current setup

hahahahahahahahaha

im sorry your mid to high 16 second vert better have an assload of work done to it by then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:19 AM

Sunday, January 28, 2007 6:19 AM
Bottle warmer = 13's at this point. If you can launch a little better, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to break into the 13's with a full bottle at the recommended pressure. If you have trouble getting it to hook up, then DR's are the sure thing. Honeslty, just bumping up to the 100 shot isn't going to help you if everything else remains the same. At that point, the extra fuel being sprayed in with a low bottle pressure will start to bog you out after half track, and the extra kick in the very begginning will do nothing but spin your tires more. Back in the day when I was adventurous, I ran a 13.8 with just a nitrous kit (and a bottle heater) and a 75 shot. then I stepped up to the 100 shot and only ran a 13.7. DR's were the next step, and they did the job! knocked almost a half second off that time.
Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:09 AM
i will ,your the best guy to argue with on the board Cheese,you build,i build,remember tax time is comin,i think $3000 will be sufficient enough,but back to the thread,didnt jason beijer or whatever his name is run a 13.3 w/a 100 shot and drag radials?

Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:37 AM
yea as soon as i can snag the vid you can see the dire need for radials.... my car launches... and you can hear my tires scream "o @!#$!" when the n2o kicks in... it was kinda funny... couple guys went to my car after and was like "what the F*** you got done to that man!".... good times... thanks for the compliments and suggestions all, soon as I get to the track again i'll test some other methods and see if i cant kick a few tenths off =)

Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:53 AM
I have 2 sets of drag radials in my garage. I totally understand how nitrous works and bottle pressure etc.. Yes 900psi would make it better, but dropping a 14.6 to 13's?? No. yes drag radials will help (if you leanr how to run on them. From a 14.6 to 13's?? No. Drag radials will usually drop you 2 tenths. That is a 14.4. Both pressure is not going to drop you 4 tenths. Now a good tune (dyno tune) with the nitrous might get you there with good bottle pressure. Your going to need 98 mph at the least to get 13's. With drag radials your going to lose MPH. Also sopme other mods, like a bigger TB, underdrive pulley, header exhaust those would all help. Still great runs!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 28, 2007 9:48 AM
John Higgins wrote:I have 2 sets of drag radials in my garage. I totally understand how nitrous works and bottle pressure etc.. Yes 900psi would make it better, but dropping a 14.6 to 13's?? No. yes drag radials will help (if you leanr how to run on them. From a 14.6 to 13's?? No. Drag radials will usually drop you 2 tenths. That is a 14.4. Both pressure is not going to drop you 4 tenths. Now a good tune (dyno tune) with the nitrous might get you there with good bottle pressure. Your going to need 98 mph at the least to get 13's. With drag radials your going to lose MPH. Also sopme other mods, like a bigger TB, underdrive pulley, header exhaust those would all help. Still great runs!!

I strongly disagree, based on experience, you'll gain more than 2 tenths when the lack of traction is due to the insane torque gains of nitrous. I gained a reduction of 4.5 tenths on my 1/4 mile et with the addition of DR's. And, DR's will not decrease ET's unless they are aired down too much. I see some people running 14 psi or les in their DR's. So yes, in that case you will lose MPH in the end. I've found personally, that 23-25 psi worked much better for me, and didn't affect my traps speeds at all. Running on 14 psi, I got maybe another .01 seconds off the 60' time, but with a worse et due to lacking the pull on the back half of the track.

And as far as bottle pressure is concerned, you highly underestimate the power differences of a bottle at 600 psi and one at the proper (most companies recommend at least 900 psi, and up to 1050 psi) pressure. On a chassis dyno, I observed a 17 hp difference on a 100 shot between running the bottle at 900 psi and 1050 psi. A bottle at 600 psi would absolutely blow big time. If he's already trapping 97 mph at 600 psi, I'd be willing to bet that with everything else the same, he would gain around 2 mph or slightly more in trap speed. I trapped 99 pmh on my 13.8 run, so I know it's very possible. You just need to cut a 2.100 or better 60' time to do it. I know my registry is somewhat misleading, but I know alot more about nitrous than most you guys give me credit for. I don't fill out my registry completely and honestly for alot of reasons, but let's just say I know what I'm talking about, mmkay? BTW John, I have much respect for you as one of the pioneers in this arena. You were the first 2.4 Z24 I've ever heard of breaking into the 14's NA. Although that may seem trivial today, I still repect it due to the fact that it wasn't so easy back then, and obviously, you are good behind the wheel. I don't want you to misread this as me talking down to you, as that's simply not the case. But I think on the subject of nitrous, I'm more the guy to talk to.
Sunday, January 28, 2007 10:25 AM
Quote:

DR's will not decrease ET's unless they are aired down too much.

I never said it would. I said lose MPH. Big difference between ET and MPH. I said you will gain ET.

I have never directly ran nitrous on my cars (yet), but since I have been around for many years with J-Body's seen what works and what does not etc... Also comparing a 2.4 on nitrous and a Ecotec is 2 different things. They both react different with it. The Ecotec seems to be a little better boost motor over a LD9 and the LD9 seems to be a little better nitrous motor over the Ecotec. That is another reason I stated he would need more.

As for the tire pressures. I have found I need between 15-18psi to hook up. I'm launching at 3000-3600 RPMS. I have tried running higher tire pressure and I could not hook up at those RPM's. I realize what works for me might not work for you or the next person. I also have found I have to get great burnouts as well. Second gear burnouts and get them really hot. Lots of people say not to get the DR's hot, but if I don;t they do not hook.

Thanks for the props. I have been watching and reading and following nitrous. My 01 Z might see it soon. 14.8 all motor and a nice 50 shot hmmmmmm.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 28, 2007 10:38 AM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:smart guy chimes in again,hmmm let's see bottle warmer=higher psi=better performance out of his kit , no i think he should put two bottle warmers on to get into the 13's,your an idiot,you get my last message Cake ,spring time,find a track between mi and ill.that is where you live right?and your right john he won't get much better with the current setup

its ok your going to build im going on bottle

Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:03 PM
well it's about time ha ha,i will admit your car is nicer looking than mine but then again it's even worse when you get beat by an ugly car

Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:09 PM
haha... yea.. I think I shocked a couple gearhead veterans when my little 4 cylinder was all over a GT mustang with some work done to it... only reason i lost that race was cause I missed 4th at the last second and ended up gettin a 14.8 to his 14.6... his jaw dropped... hehe

Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:16 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:well it's about time ha ha,i will admit your car is nicer looking than mine but then again it's even worse when you get beat by an ugly car

who said i was going to get beat lol

Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:51 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Quote:

DR's will not decrease ET's unless they are aired down too much.

I never said it would. I said lose MPH. Big difference between ET and MPH. I said you will gain ET.

I have never directly ran nitrous on my cars (yet), but since I have been around for many years with J-Body's seen what works and what does not etc... Also comparing a 2.4 on nitrous and a Ecotec is 2 different things. They both react different with it. The Ecotec seems to be a little better boost motor over a LD9 and the LD9 seems to be a little better nitrous motor over the Ecotec. That is another reason I stated he would need more.

As for the tire pressures. I have found I need between 15-18psi to hook up. I'm launching at 3000-3600 RPMS. I have tried running higher tire pressure and I could not hook up at those RPM's. I realize what works for me might not work for you or the next person. I also have found I have to get great burnouts as well. Second gear burnouts and get them really hot. Lots of people say not to get the DR's hot, but if I don;t they do not hook.

Thanks for the props. I have been watching and reading and following nitrous. My 01 Z might see it soon. 14.8 all motor and a nice 50 shot hmmmmmm.

Sorry, I meant to type "trap speeds", not "ET's". That paints an entirely different picture.....

I do agree with you about the difference between the eco and the LD9, but I still think an Eco should be able to break into the 13's on a 75 shot. Hell, you've been around here long enough to remember Cody, right? He came within a few thousands of doing it in an auto equipped Eco. He didn't have anything major done either, just the typical bolt ons.
Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:54 PM
Oh yea, forgot to add that I also agree with long burnouts being better for DR's, especially if they are new or only have a few passes on them. I still disagree with the pressure you were running. I'd go down to 18 psi at the minimum to compensate for poor track conditions, but after that, I've found the trade off between 60' times, trap speeds and ultimately ET's doesn't pay off.
Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:31 PM
he ,he ,if i blow my car up watch out for flying parts,i wouldn't want to ruin that nice paint job but let us continue this another day on another forum(racing or war) i don't want to interrupt this man's thread,GOODDAY....I SAID GOODDAY!

Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:56 PM
Yea I'm not saying I will make 13's... but its a hopeful at least... lol... once I get my tires & bottle warmer and perhaps some weight reduction.. who knows. I can hope at least. But regardless I just like watchin peoples reactions at the track =)

Sunday, January 28, 2007 4:06 PM
nice job

Sunday, January 28, 2007 4:27 PM
Thanks Skwirl, comin from you thats a lot =)

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:58 AM
i think you can hit 13's people have done it on a 75 shot and people have ran 14.4 on 50 shots

Monday, January 29, 2007 10:31 PM
Alrighty, Jess sent me the video so here ya go guys. Let me know what ya think, thanks! =)

14.66 @ 97.15 mph

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search