Brad's Project Thread - Page 5 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Brad's Project Thread
Monday, October 18, 2010 4:26 AM

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:05 AM
Hahaha. That plug looks so much like mine.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:58 PM
Shhhhhhhhh, I'm updating.

I have 6 sensors in my car now. Including humidity, interior temperature, sunlight, exterior temperature and my favourite exterior SMELL sensor
All of the parts were pulled from a Kia Magentis as a local yard. Got a sweeeeeet price on it all and tore the car up in the process, hehe.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:08 PM
Thats awesome. It looks like quite an undertaking doing that wiring.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:11 PM
The wiring is no big deal, deciphering the diagram(s) was another thing though..

Monday, December 20, 2010 9:11 AM
Smell? Like someone farted 3 feet from the passenger seat?

Monday, December 20, 2010 10:47 AM
Quote:

1. The A.Q.S sensor, located at the front of the condensor fan, detects hazardous elements in ambient air, and provides output signals to the control module.
2. It will detect sulfurous acid gas, carbon dioxide, carbon mondxide, hydrocarbon and allergen.

Monday, December 20, 2010 10:54 AM
Thats excellent. I want to see this installed. NOW!

Monday, December 20, 2010 10:58 AM
Me too, but I'm heading home for 2 weeks to see family. Best I'll probably pull off is getting these two pieces painted and finished.

Making an electric switch that replaces the vacuum powered "mode" selector knob in our cars is probably the last big hurdle I have to deal with. I have something put together for it, just not sure if it's going to work 100%.

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:02 AM
How would you go about that? Im a little clueless as far as our HVAC system goes.

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:04 AM
id problaby fill over the drink hole since its not really going to be able to be used efectively. will give it more of a finished and natural look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:08 AM
I'm using some pinch valves I got a hold of from BioChem. (Usually they're $100/piece but somehow a guy on eBay was selling em for $5/piece).

The ones I got are normally closed, so when no power is applied across the wires, the solenoid pinches the hose shut. When they are activated they open the hose and allow whatever to pass through (air/vacuum in this case)

In our car, the mode selector has six vacuum lines on it. One is supply, 5 are for the different modes, and the switch simply provides different paths for the vacuum to flow.

My only worry is that the hose in my pinch valves is too small and won't allow enough vacuum for mode selection. That and I have to merge five hoses into the one supply line, which I'm not entirely sure how to do yet. Might just shrink wrap em together

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:09 AM
sndsgood wrote:id problaby fill over the drink hole since its not really going to be able to be used efectively. will give it more of a finished and natural look.

Yeah, that's getting removed entirely Just didn't have access to my cutting tools.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:52 PM
I was also wondering about the vacuum control issue. Interesting pieces. Totally subscribed.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 31, 2010 7:00 PM

Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:05 PM
Awesomely cool

Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:46 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Awesomely cool

or hot, depending on how he adjusts it. ZING!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, January 01, 2011 8:06 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nothing super interesting today, just laying texture. It should settle a little more than this and hopefully look a bit more factory. If not I'll just have to work it a bit before I can put down colour.

Thanks for the compliments.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 8:48 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

Is there a cheesy drum hit button somewhere.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:47 PM
That looks amazing man. It must be a real bitch getting that peice in and out of there. The fitment looks excellent.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 2:33 PM
Nah it's actually really easy. I had swap it in and out a bunch of times to find the basic shape I'd end up with so it's sort of "built to fit"

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:12 PM

Having automatic climate controls is hella cool.

Getting the vacuum selector rig working was a giant headache. It turns our that our cars don't just use one vacuum line per setting, different combinations of open/closed do different things, so I spent a couple hours last weekend figuring that out the hard way.

As I suspected, my pinch valves are kind of too small. They still work, and the mode selection works, but it's a bit slow to take. Takes about 10 seconds to transition from one setting to another. Although since it chooses the position automatically, I don't think I'll mind.

One more thing I ran into is that every once in a while it thinks the outside temperature is 50ºC. I think that means that the circuit is open, so I'll have to poke around and see if I have a crappy connection. It should be confined to two wires that I have to check. But those two wires run under the carpet, into the the engine bay and down to the front bumper. So I hope it's just loose at the connector

It doesn't control fan speed yet, because I lost my power transistor.
This weekend I'm going to try and get the rest of the audio stuff into the dash, but only if I finish my assignments for university tonight.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:13 PM
Whoops. Here's the other two pics.

And yes, the radio says Barbra Streisand. It's not what you think

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:55 PM
BS, it is exactly what I think! Looks good man. Get your mic?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:06 PM
Probably one of the neater things Ive seen in awhile.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search