speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question - Page 3 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question
Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:04 PM
anyoen have pics of the MDF adapters and how they mount? little lost on that still

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Re: speaker install? im lost... help this wring in confusing me, also radio question
Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:10 PM
Here's how I did mine. Took about half an hour for the pair between measuring, cutting the MDF and putting everything back together. They've worked fine for me since late 2011 when I put them in.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:07 AM
ok ok so the MDF screw right to the door itself and the speaker screws to it, ok i was under the impression it somehow used the stock speaker brackets... that doesnt look to hard to make i think i can make them myself most likely, what did u use to cut the hole out in the center for the speaker?

...j

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:14 AM
I'd think the easiest way with cheap tools would be to drill a hole in the middle and then use a jig saw for the circle cut.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:52 PM
Tyler Howland wrote:ok ok so the MDF screw right to the door itself and the speaker screws to it, ok i was under the impression it somehow used the stock speaker brackets... that doesnt look to hard to make i think i can make them myself most likely, what did u use to cut the hole out in the center for the speaker?

Yeah the mdf mounts to the stock holes. I know that the drivers on my speakers were a pretty close call with the stock hole, but that may not be an issue for you.

Y3llowCav wrote:I'd think the easiest way with cheap tools would be to drill a hole in the middle and then use a jig saw for the circle cut.

That's what I did. I could have done it a little (a lot) cleaner, but its behind the panel, so it doesn't really matter.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:41 PM
Tyler Howland wrote:ok ok so the MDF screw right to the door itself and the speaker screws to it, ok i was under the impression it somehow used the stock speaker brackets... that doesnt look to hard to make i think i can make them myself most likely, what did u use to cut the hole out in the center for the speaker?

Yes, basically any scenario of replacing the 4x6's with anything else involves ditching the factory speaker adapters. As said above a jigsaw will work OK, I used a roto-zip with a compass attachment for mine.. a router would work as well, whatever is easiest/more convenient for you.

Have a nice day.
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:58 PM
i have a router ( no bits need to get some) and air powered cut off tool, a circular saw, and a jig saw, i think i can manage,

so say i went to home depot and went to the wood section, would it be labeled mdf? what thickness should i get? plan on doing this sunday since it seems simple enough (never really dont much fab work myself, im a motor guy lol if it has bolts i can do it ahahaa)

...j

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:51 PM
I would say 3/4, that should space them out plenty... if I remember right 1/2 was too shallow to Mount my alpines but it depends on the mounting depth of your speakers and how close you want the driver to be to the window.

Have a nice day.
Saturday, March 30, 2013 4:26 PM
i want it as far from the window as possible but still be able to put the door panel on like normal, so 3/4 it is i gues

...j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search