Rear speakers swap - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear speakers swap
Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:35 AM
I am in the process of replacing the rear speakers in my '04 4-door Cavalier. I have the back dash all apart. I have the speakers out. The plastic factory mount spacers don't line up with the 4 speaker holes and screws. Is this normal. The speakers are JBL 6x9's. Also, the recommended Metra wiring harness number 72-4568 does not fit the factory connector. All help is much appreciated.

Re: Rear speakers swap
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:50 AM
For the holes not lining up you could drill new holes and use nuts and bolts which would be the nicest option or just use some sheet metal screws. If the weight of the speaker will be held by the screw I would not do the sheet metal screws, as if you were to screw them to the bottom of the deck. If you drop them in from the top of the deck and just need the screws to hold it in place than I would see no issue with tek-screws or the like.

Either way get some of the foam weather stripping, like 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick, the black foam rubber kind and use it between where the speaker meets the deck so you don"t have rattle.

For the wiring, cut off the vehicle side connector and strip the wire about 1/4" and crimp on some blade connectors. The speakers should have males, one small(negative), and one large(positive). Get females of the correct size for the vehicle wires.

And please, USE CRIMPERS! You have no idea how many hack setups I see where they use regular pliers to crimp the connectors.
http://survivalgeartools.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Neiko-50413A-Solderless-Wire-Terminal-and-Connection-Kit-with-CrimpingWire-Stripping-Tool-175-Piece-0.jpg

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:28 PM
U may need to widen the hole for the speaker to fit too. Id use a dremel tool. However, i believe they have speaker plates available as an alternative.

ReD RaiN
Friday, July 31, 2015 8:30 PM
I used adapter plates.
Easy install.
Tuesday, November 03, 2015 7:18 PM
If i was you i'll leave those rear deck speakers unplugged and concentrate on your front stage speakers , a nice set of 6.5" component speaker set driven by good amp is all you will need , plus a subwoofer for the lower notes.
You could get a jl audio , soundstream, alpine , or any other brand 4 channel amp and power the components with channels 1&2 which will leave you with channels 3&4 unused , when you get a single 10" or 12" sub you can than bridge channels 3&4 to a single channel to power a nice boston acoustics, or image dynamics sub for great overall sq system , this is similar to what Im doing now and it sounds great.

peformance parts for sale!! Click:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62265/
Saturday, April 18, 2020 6:58 AM
ecoweapon wrote:If i was you i'll leave those rear deck speakers unplugged and concentrate on your front stage speakers , a nice set of 6.5" component speaker set driven by good amp is all you will need , plus a subwoofer for the lower notes.
You could get a jl audio , soundstream, alpine , or any other brand 4 channel amp and power the components with channels 1&2 which will leave you with channels 3&4 unused , when you get a single 10" or 12" sub you can than bridge channels 3&4 to a single channel to power a nice boston acoustics, or image dynamics sub for great overall sq system , this is similar to what Im doing now and it sounds great.

What 6.5" speakers would you recommend?

I know this is an OOOOLLLLLDDDDD post/thread, but maybe I'll get a response. Worth a shot.

I can't STAND my flows in my 2004 4-door Cavy anymore. I will no longer suffer through rubbish sounds. I am going to get it squared away. The factory speakers in these bare-bones Cavies were frankly dreadful.
Saturday, April 18, 2020 6:59 AM
We'll see....
Saturday, April 18, 2020 8:50 AM
Been there, done the deck mod with my (now traded) coupe.
For the new 6 x 9's I widened the spacing for the speakers, mounting holes and used foam tape to prevent any rattles.
Turned out great.

Not needing two Z24's I traded the coupe for a really nice low mileage Ducati 900 Monster iE.
Attachments
0.jpg (138k)

Saturday, April 18, 2020 1:42 PM
Steve B. wrote:Been there, done the deck mod with my (now traded) coupe.
For the new 6 x 9's I widened the spacing for the speakers, mounting holes and used foam tape to prevent any rattles.
Turned out great.

Not needing two Z24's I traded the coupe for a really nice low mileage Ducati 900 Monster iE.

Turncoat!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search