Boosted 2200 Build - Page 18 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:19 PM
Yeah I would be majorly concerned. This just does not happen for any reason, or just a freak thing.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 31, 2014 3:38 AM
that is scary!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, April 11, 2014 9:53 PM
Update Time Guys,
Well I had mentioned in my last update about the pushrod and the cracked valve cover due to over tightening of the ARP valve cover bolts. Since then, I had a sheet metal cover made by the welder I always use, and it turned out great. I also got the passenger side seat mounted in the car and now they match. I was able to drive the car again and checked the pushrods afterwards to see that everything was still tight and in place. I took the car to the first car show of the season for us and of the people who knew how much work went into the car, they were impressed because it was the only cavalier in the show and it was done the right way. Still working with Ryan on setting up a day for more tuning, but for now im just trying to get some miles on the car, not beating on it, watching the gauges and making sure everything is where it should be. Pictures below and more updates to come.

Sheet Metal Cover:

Welded right to the spacer, and pressure tested for leaks.

Fitted on Motor:

Seats that Match!

Some from the show:

Few others worth a picture:

More updates to come, stay tuned.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:23 AM
That valve cover is tits man!

I would drive the car a few times and let it cool completely and then heat it back up, and get it through the revs and see if the rockers stay put. Hopefully you got that problem licked though.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:27 PM
Matt,
The valve cover came out awesome. I am looking into the 1 piece chromoly push rods and will most likely be upgrading them within the next week or so. I took the car to work, which is about 25 miles each way the other day. I just pulled the cover and all the pushrods were good. Im hoping to not run into this problem again, especially when I get 1 piece ones. I still do not know when they came out of the seat, but the motor has been running great since I fixed it.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:34 PM
Wow last updated today.. I just joined and read through you're entire build here... And now I have no idea weather I wanna keep my 2200 OHV or 3400 5 speed swap it.. I love the car though man, gotta love them 4 doors. Gonna sub to this for sure I wanna see the final numbers. And I may do this to my 2003 cavi 4 door 5 speed that had its ecotec heart stolen from it and replaced with a 2200 OHV.
Sunday, April 13, 2014 10:01 AM
Mike,
Thank you for the comments. This car took a very long time to build and there was a lot of time and money spent to get the car where it is today. The 2200 OHV responds very well with boost, I can not wait until the boost is turned up. The car has been a blast to drive, and everyone questions the car when the see. It definitely turns heads and I have gotten nothing but good reviews from friends and co-workers. If you are going to build it, there are a few people who know a lot of tricks with the 2200, but everyone on here are very helpful.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:45 AM
Boosted LN2 in an 03? Epic.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:38 PM
Vinny wrote:Mike,
Thank you for the comments. This car took a very long time to build and there was a lot of time and money spent to get the car where it is today. The 2200 OHV responds very well with boost, I can not wait until the boost is turned up. The car has been a blast to drive, and everyone questions the car when the see. It definitely turns heads and I have gotten nothing but good reviews from friends and co-workers. If you are going to build it, there are a few people who know a lot of tricks with the 2200, but everyone on here are very helpful.

Anytime, my I'm very proud of you're build. It's an amazing LN2 build. And can't wait to see what it puts down.

And Matt, it's an 03 LN2 already just minus the boost.. I'm just really torn between weather or not to keep and build my LN2 or swap a 02 grand am gt 3400 60 degree v6 and keep the getrag 5 speed on the v6..
Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:49 AM
Small update time:
So I finally ordered a bigger catch can for the cav. The old was very small, and I felt it was time for a new one. I got the new one, about 3 inch diameter and about 6 inches tall. I had to mount it in a different location, so the strut tower won. I got it all mounted and I think it looks good as well. I am still driving the car, enjoying it, and getting compliments everywhere. Ryan and I are still in contact about setting up a date to turn the boost up and more tuning. Pictures below.

On a side note, I know some people know, but I picked up a new daily. 2006 Trailblazer SS in white, 63000 miles. It was time to upgrade from my 2001 elantra. Pictures below.

Catch Can:

The TBSS:

More to come!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:36 PM
Small update guys.

I have been driving the car, breaking the motor in. Cars been great. AFR seems a little high in boost so I don't stay in it. If I slowly get into boost AFR is 11.2-11.7. Other than that it cruises at 14.2-15.2. Other than that, I have had great results with the car.

After I broke the tip of the pushrod, I had ordered a set of 1 Piece chrome-moly pushrods. 3/8" 0.120 wall. They took about 2 weeks to get and were only 13 bucks a piece. Hoping to get these in and rockers adjusted again this week/weekend. I also came across a set of Naca-Ducts at a local swap meet for 10 bucks that I had to pick up. I have a spare silver hood that I mocked up on. I still have some more work to do on it, but I don't think it will look bad and should serve a good purpose.

Ryan and I are still in contact, and I can't wait to get some more tuning on this car. In the mean time, its a blast to drive and I love the comments I get at the local car shows.

Pictures below and more to come.

Pushrods:

Hood prep:

Again, more work needs to be done with the hood. Some more trimming and measuring to make the ducts sit nicer. Im thinking some black rivots to hold them in place. We will see how it goes.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:55 PM
Pushrods are sweet. Ducts aren't really my thing but I'm sure they'll look cool when installed.

Glad you're enjoying the car man, that's the most important thing. Keep it up!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:33 PM
Thanks Y3llowCav. Im not 100% sure the ducts will go in that orientation, but for 10 bucks I decided to give them a try.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:40 PM
I thought this was going to be an "I tuned it" update.

Disappointment!

I kinda like the vents, but I would have spaced them just a little further apart. However I know with my invader style hood, the vent that sits right in that same location throws out tons of heat so putting them there definitely will help with cooling.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:26 PM
Haha Matt, update on tune is on the way, I cant wait for Ryan to play with the tune again and crank the boost up.

That was the plan with the vents. I know the engine bay gets very hot and I want to get some of that heat out of there.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:53 PM
I'm jealous of how clean your engine bay is! Awesome build! My buddy had an '06 tbss, an Edge tuner really woke it up, but also cost him a tranny... Haha
Saturday, May 24, 2014 10:02 AM
Akizzem,
Thanks for the comment. It is only clean cause everything was taken out for the build. I try and wipe the cover and pipes off every time I wash the car. The TBSS was a great buy I thought. The previous owner took excellent care of it. It is my daily, so I dont have much planned for it. It has an upgraded stereo, HID's and a drop in filter. I plan to do an exhaust down the road as well as a few upgrades for reliability, electric fans, tranny cooler, little things.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:14 PM
Awesome build, read through the whole thing! Wish I would of documented my build this way! Any word on tuning yet? Mine is finally getting tuned on the 6th of August!
Attachments
image.jpg (1836k)

Built and boosted 2.2 ohv
Monday, August 04, 2014 7:00 PM
Levi,
I have been in contact with Ryan throughout the build and we have been setting up tuning. I know we are not done with tuning and I cant wait until we crank the boost up. I have made some adjustments to the car. I was able to get the MSD box working correctly. I also am in the process of retrofitting projector headlights. I will post pictures when they are complete. I am also on the hunt for a new set of wheels, something wider and lighter.

More to come.

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 6:02 PM
Well guys, its been a while since my last update so an update is needed. I have been in contact with Ryan and we are planning something within a month or so. I was supposed to meet up with him last weekend, but things had to be put aside.

As for the car, a lot has changed exterior wise. Perhaps the biggest change is the addition of a Wings West front lip and custom made projector headlights. I am currently debating on black corners to match the headlights. I also had a custom plate as well which fits the car quite well if I had to say so. My fenders were rolled and I am currently in the hunt for a nice set of wider wheels and a good tire.

Motor has been running great as usual and I have no complaints with it. I cant wait for Ryan to get his hands on it again and see what this car can do. I am trying to enjoy the car as much as i can before the winter comes in. I already have a few plans for the car over the winter, but those will kept to myself for now. Pictures below, comments are welcomed and more to come.

WW Lip:

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 4:10 AM
The tag is perfect!!

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 9:39 AM
I missed seeing updates to this car!

I like the lip. With it being black it reminds me of AZNCav's car kinda.

Im super jealous of how large the primaries are on your header. Trade!?

I would definitely do black corners. I had ones with black housings and clear lenses with an amber reflector on the one side inside. They made the black headlight setup look more complete.
Heres the only pic I have of that setup. I miss those IZNs.

Will you PLEASE go tune it and then see what itll do? I would like to see one more good LN2 result before the season is over!

Im excited to see what your winter plans are too.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 10:57 AM
Ill just leave this here.
The plan was to install by the end of summer.
Never got around to it, hopefully be done by spring.
Attachments
0926140509.jpg (656k)

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 11:55 AM
Is that motor going in the red car?

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 4:29 PM
Its been a while since my last update. Just been enjoying the car and bring it out as much as I can. The black corners are cheap enough so I will probably end up buying them. I thought the tag was a perfect fit for the car and it was time to get the actual lip for the car.

Every show someone comes up to me and it blown away or never seen a cavalier like this. It definitely turns heads where ever I go.

Stay tuned, more to come.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search