Boosted 2200 Build - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:49 AM
John,
I called ARp a few times in the same week and kept getting the same answer. They tried talking me into the ecotec head stud kit. The one lady at ARP said i would have to measure the stock bolt, the depth the stud goes into the block and so on. I ended up getting them from IPP. They were here in 2 or 3 days. Everything looks great, so i might be ordering the main studs and Cometics MLS head gasket soon, all depends on what RD fabs says about the turbo header.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:05 AM
Vinny- this is what the RD Fabs turbo header looks like, I didn't see it on their website when I was snooping around. I was bored so I went through my photobucket to find pics of my RDF header.

and installed,

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:24 AM
lol, i thought that was mine.....you even have the same carpet as me.

i have the bung for exhaust temp sensor welded on mine.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:46 AM

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:24 AM
John,

Considering you have had both the J-Tuners/Cavalier Connection manifold & RD-Fabs, what are the major differences between the two? Larger runners?

I know that the RD manifold is stainless but is there any other advantage?

I had my J-Tuners manifold sand blasted, welds rewelded, and then ceramic coated since I got it from you. I love the design it of the manifold but the welds were poor by J-Tuners..

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:52 AM
Other than the superior construction and warranty, the RD fabs mani relocated the wastegate to the other side of the mani, the runners are closer to equal length, and are a larger diameter. It does not require modification to the oil fill tube. Down pipe is also large, they will customize it to your specs (like the EGT gauge tap, o2 sensor locations, etc.). I have an open dump wastegate that is tucked down by my starter with thier setup also. I also got the polished stainless coolant bypass tube.

Really, they put the turbo in the same spot, but thats about it.

I like both, but am happier with the rd fabs.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:12 PM
heres mine.

Attachments
mani5.jpg (440k)
mani3.jpg (230k)
mani2.jpg (44k)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:07 PM
Thanks for the pictures everyone, I was def going to go with the RD fabs tubular manifold. We have been emailing back and forth going over everything. I plan on running a Garrett GT30 series turbo either the GT3071r or gt3076r. They told me the could make the exhaust off the turbo as well. I orginially wanted a down swept header and mount the turbo down low and out of view, but i feel that might run into problems. I think the turbo will be mounted on top.

I will try and see if they can make the manifold, the wastegate dump, and I am def going to talk to them about the coolant bypass. That hose looks like it will have to be modified from the stock location.

As far as the ARP head studs, I test fitted them today, and I realized that the top of the studs on the exhaust rub the roller rockers and i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I have the Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio rockers. Also, did anyone have to modify the alternator bracket, because the stock bolts had 2 nuts on the alternator bracket, i was just wondering. I know i can modify the bracket and mount it different if need be.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:02 PM
I highly recommend RD Fabs. They built my header ~1.5-2 years ago and nailed the fitment perfectly without having a J-body at the shop to check the fitment.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:17 AM
I am running a gt 3071R on mine with ATP's custom exhaust housing (i got the housing thinking I would be using the jtuners mani). I also recall the jtuners mani not being able to accomodate a larger turbo than a t3 (without a spacer) because the housing would hit the pipe on #4 cyl. RD doesnt have that problem.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:13 PM
At this point I think it would be pointless for me to change manifolds. If I was going to change I would go an entirely different direction and have one custom built by S & R.

With my setup I have a 3" down pipe that fits perfectly in between the motor and the wastegate. I also opted for the open atmosphere dump tube but, if I remember correctly it dumps in between the manifold and the radiator. I may be wrong about that. I actually like the the drain connected to the fill tube. It keeps it simple and helps eliminate leaks by not having to tap the block or the pan.

John,

Our down pipes are worlds apart. My down pipe dropps straight down and the exhaust curve's up to connect to the down pipe where as your's appears to curve down for the exhaust. I guess that was just a matter of who designed it and how they had the exhaust connect up to it.

Your's looks great but, I am happy with what I have as well. Thanks again for getting me away from a eBay logger!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:43 PM
My oil drain still goes into the fill tube, but the j-tuners mani requires you to bend the fill tube (as well as having the tap for oil return). I was happy with the J-tuners, and would have used it if I didnt work out a killer deal with RD for the one i have now. Glad you are enjoying it. I wish I could have afforded to keep my second one. It would be an excellent piece of J-body history.

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:57 AM
Damn guys...I just came across this posting and looking to boost my 2.2 as well. What intake manifold and throttle body are you guys using?
Friday, April 15, 2011 9:33 AM
Stock and stock or 62mm tb, there really are not many choices for the LN2's

Friday, April 15, 2011 9:36 AM
We're using an intake manifold from a Catepillar 420E and a throttle body from a 1982-1987 Ford EXP.

Friday, April 15, 2011 9:36 AM
you got stock, 57mm 2.3 TB, or RSM 62mm, which is what i have with thier manifold.

There are a couple people running sheet metal intake mani's with different things like LS-1 tb's.

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:11 PM
John Benham wrote:you got stock, 57mm 2.3 TB, or RSM 62mm, which is what i have with thier manifold.

There are a couple people running sheet metal intake mani's with different things like LS-1 tb's.

Like who? I have yet to see a 2200 intake manifold. If you got one and your not posting it John... we are no longer friends. Straight up!

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:54 PM
I have seen a couple Hogan manifolds.

i do not have one, just the RSM one.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:28 PM
Just want to update everyone on the build. I am having the manifold / downpipe / wastegate dump, and turbo ordered from RD. I just have to wait a few weeks for the funds, but then everything will be ordered, so they can guarentee fitment, and everything will work. I decided to go with a different turbo than i orginally planned, but it is still capable of making the power i want. Thanks for the help everyone.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:16 PM
What turbo are you going to do?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:54 AM
Originally i was looking into running a Garret GT3071R or GT3076R turbo. Chris from RD fabs had mentioned that it was a coolant cooled, and said it would be more expensive and would need more work to hook up. He mentioned about going with the same turbo he is using, it is cheaper and has the same hp capabilities.
Compressor Specs:
- T04S
- Housing flow: 61 lbs/min 781cfm
- .70 A/R housing
- 60-1 TRIM wheel

Turbine Specs
- T3
- .48 A/R housing
- High Flow 76 Trim Stage3 wheel

- Oil Lubricated Center Section.
- 360 Degree Thrust Bearing
- For external wastegate
- Can support up to 525 WHP

While i do not plan on running crazy boost, just something for more power. I want the motor to last. I have seen many members on here using the GT3071 and GT3076's. I told chris i will have to wait a few weeks to get the funds for everything. What are your imputs on this turbo, should i go with this one, or stick with what i had originally planned?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:45 AM
.48 a/r will spool quick, but will choke out hard on the top end. I would go to a .63 a/r minimum for big power. Looks good otherwise.
Monday, May 09, 2011 2:58 PM
Nice looking build man. If you want to do a throttle body upgrade on the cheap, the above mention 2.3 throttle body works well. It requires very little modification. I think it is 56mm though.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:58 AM
Thanks Lemur, I was thinking about doing that throttle body upgrade. I have been way busy these past few weeks, but i did finalize everything with RD Fabs on a manifold. I am having them do the turbo, manifold, downpipe, wastegate and wastegate dump. They were great working with, and i should be sending them payment this week. I was looking at the car, and i have a basic idea for the intercooler pipe routing. I will just wait till i get everything from RD, and when i have some more funds, ill get working on the last little things for the motor.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:59 AM
Forgot to add, i recently installed an LS rear lip i picked up from Harry's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search