Supercharged Eco TBs. Vortec > LS1 - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Supercharged Eco TBs. Vortec > LS1
Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:13 PM
Alright...I finally got around to getting my Vortec tb in (Ill show pics later).
I wrote up this big ass response but Ill just make it sweet and to the point...

I just need to figure out my cable bracket, thats it.

adapter, cables, throttle body, all installed, car runs.

But my bracket is still attached to the cable and im not sure if I can unscrew/remove the cable from the bracket without breaking the plastic cable pieces or having to cut the bracket off from around the cable.
If you actually use the stock brackets rear bolt location (like the factory L61 tb setup) in the lower rear Vortec tb bolt location, its the same bolt/thread pattern. The only problem is, the bolt hole in the bracket has the Vortec butterfly about 25-30% open at idle and the pedal (in the cabin) is down a little.
So Im thinking of modifying the stock L61 tb bracket, inching the bracket forward (to relieve the cable so its not pulling on it some) and redrilling then bolting it down. Seems simple.

However, will I break that little plastic piece the cable is going through thats mounted to the bracket? how do i disassemble that so i can modify it outside the engine bay? Normally the internet has stuff but i didnt find anything on removing the bracket from the cable, just the cable.

Also, how did you guys modify the ball/ball hole in the Vortec/LS1 tb's? The L62 tb cable ball is too big and though i dont think it can really pop out, Id like to secure it in there better. I guess i can bore the hole out a bit until I can force it in...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:19 PM
pic of what your talking about? If its the plastic bit that holds the cable in then you just give it a pinch with some pliers but im not sure if thats the part.
Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:23 PM
yeah thats the part...where in his pic you can see the little ball thingy where he mentions its in the 'stock location'.
Im going to modify my bracket.

On another note, I bought a vortec tb intake elbow..it works well but once its all secured ive got to see if i need to do any cutting or what couplers i need.

but right now, its down to the bracket being secured, and its done! then i can work on trying to get my tune once and for friggin ALLL (going on 13 months without one)

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:03 PM
Yah..just give it a pinch with your pliers....it slips out
Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:54 PM
yeah...after trying it and seeing how easily it comes off...i feel like an idiot! I can do it now like its nothing haha..
got the bracket cut up, installed. all is in. my only problem...connection the tb to the AEM intake i have. I had a coupler that im sure would have worked..disappeared all of a sudden from last week after i had ppl over doing car mods. someone prob ended up using it.

i had the evap canister vacuum line going to the Katech tb adapter on a spare port...this CBM one has none and neither does the Vortec tb (only the LS1 did). So can i just put the evap line to the intake (pre-tb)?
think ill be alright driving with just an open tb to work and back tomorrow until i can fix my tubing issue?

damnit its already midnight...maybe ill call in tomorrow lol

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:27 AM
well i got it all done.
after a lot of moving parts around and hacking up stock components.

Used part of the stock Vortec intake tubing, ran the evap tubing to a spot the vortec sensor was in (iat probably), and got it all up and running.
did a quick run to test it. i noticed a big difference, good and bad. its not as quick to rev, almost instant lean for a split second...throttle isnt adjusted perfect so starting in first it wants to hesitate. still full rich at WOT. no change there.
it has about 1psi more than it did before, im hitting 11+. thats not in my head either. i have yet to remove the air foil on the butterfly and clean it up too. but its got a different sound now and the wine is more pronounced...maybe because its getting more air? ill show shots of the tb's all side by side and my bracket setup. i basically hacked up the factory L61 bracket.

Ill post up pics later today..im beat.

Friday, March 22, 2013 5:39 AM
Nice work man thanks for the info. In for pics.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:05 AM
If i recall...i measured them with a digital caliper and it came out as follows; L61; 58mm Vortec; 72mm LS1; 75mm

Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:10 AM
for the record....f*ck this setup.
in all seriousness...the battery relocation is pretty much necessary. I talked to 2 tuning shops and 2 hotrod performance shops today.
They all were like 'why dont you just relocate the battery to the trunk?' haha...

I ended up using the intake tubing from the Vortec setup to run to my AEM piping. The Vortec just kinda goes over the AEM and doesnt actually seal up...but the Vortec intake rubber piece had a sensor on it. I ripped that out and stuck my EVAP tubing into the intake piece and that took care of the EVAP.
Im still working on a proper setup, but now im having other issues and this is now taking a back seat.

over all the Vortec tb works well. Its the same as the LS1 minus a few mm in inner diameter, and though the throttle wheel spins in the same direction, it sits back a little ways as far as its starting position. its much better for less stress on the throttle cable.

Using the stock L61 bracket, you just cut it up to the small piece i have to keep the cable location, but drill a new hole for the lower throttle body bolt. Its being held on by one bolt and is working well.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:47 PM
N/A < SC > Turbo

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:48 PM
=D

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]

Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:12 PM
Thanks again for all the information and pictures man. It's definitely a viable option, especially if price is an issue. But what you're running into kind of confirms why I'm weary of this mod for my car. Originally I planned on relocating my battery to the trunk but I'm leaning against that option now so that makes this tougher to do.

The other, more expensive and slightly smaller(62mm) option is a guy up here who makes ported TBs especially for ecos: SMG Motoring. Apparently he's been on this forum before and has met up with some older members. I'm definitely planning a trip to his dynojet this summer after getting my new goodies installed.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:41 PM
another good and reasonably cost effective option is simply to get a slimmer race battery. I think they run $200-300 but have much more cold cranking amps than our factory replacements and probably have a good warranty with them. But they are much lighter and smaller.

ill prob end up doing the trunk relocate though..since i wanna put my meth up front i think. id rather run a battery cable at length than a meth cable. ill decide once im properly tuned soon. after all im pulling on fully bolted LS1s (intake, tb, exhaust, intake manifold, etc) and im not even tuned right lol..how sad?

Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:51 PM
Just remember that you need to run 2 cables to the battery in the trunk if you ever plan on going to the track. That's where I'm deciding its too much shenanigans just to move the battery.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 23, 2013 9:16 PM
blu04DD wrote:another good and reasonably cost effective option is simply to get a slimmer race battery. I think they run $200-300 but have much more cold cranking amps than our factory replacements and probably have a good warranty with them. But they are much lighter and smaller.

ill prob end up doing the trunk relocate though..since i wanna put my meth up front i think. id rather run a battery cable at length than a meth cable. ill decide once im properly tuned soon. after all im pulling on fully bolted LS1s (intake, tb, exhaust, intake manifold, etc) and im not even tuned right lol..how sad?

The smaller batteries DO NOT have more or even close COLD cranking amps. The smaller batteries are almost always in CC and most car batteries are in CCA.

http://www.gnbsystems.com/faq.php

But either way...cool..

I may have to do this soon...once my battery is relocated lol.
Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:31 PM
yeah i guess they are less than factory..but here in TX the CCA wouldnt matter so much.
the lightweight and size would make up for that. Tire rack sells racing batteries good for daily driving for around $150.
But the point of going to this would be to better accomodate for the LS1/Vortec tb. Otherwise, its easier just to relocate. Infact the weight difference depending on the type of driving you do, might actually help to have the weight in the rear.

Either way...Im very happy with my Vortec tb with CBM adapter set up. Ill see if i have a pic of the throttle wheel positions

Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:53 AM
Yah id say your pretty safe in Texas for snow. If you get snow, starting your car will be the least of your problems.

Im moving my battery to the front frame rail behind the bumper. I want to keep the weight on the front wheels as much as possible, well ..that and ill be installing a 3gal meth tank back there and want the room.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search