who else has quiet turbo cars? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
who else has quiet turbo cars?
Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:49 PM
like i said who else has turbo cars that are real quiet and what exhaust compenents are u running? im running a magnaflow cat, thrush resonator, custom tubes 2.5 inch piping and a hks hyper exhaust and it is too quiet almost like stock sounding. im running the saab setup on 6psi. only upside is that you can really really hear the blow off valve when it goes off, but i was hoping for at least a little more agressive sound. real sleeper though haha

Re: who else has quiet turbo cars?
Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:55 PM
my car is really quiet in the sense that the turbo is very muffled. but its still an agressive exhaust note. also its internally gated so it doesnt scream at full boost. making turbo cars quiet really isnt that hard it seems. Ive got a pos thrust 2.5 baffled muffler on there and thats it, and the car sounds great.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:16 PM
i was hoping for an aggressive exhaust note, i got a almost stock quiet car with a loud whoosh sound at the end of every gear haha. for right now im good i was getting so much heat from the police since i was running open downpipe for like a month, this is a good change and the cops dont even notice me when i pass by lol. maybe later on ill take the resonator off and see how it sounds with just the cat and muffler

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:52 PM
my car sounds like a boxer engine

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:14 PM
My black car was 2001 2.4 turbocharged. It was an all 2.5 inch exhaust with a high flow cat, huge resonator and a Borla muffler. It was quiet and I loved the sound. Just a little louder more distinct rumble at idle and not much louder under WOT. It is nice to have a quiet exhaust. The cops don't look at you and you don't have the highway drone. When you listen to music it sounds better without the exhaust noise competing with it.

I am not sure on the brand of resonator or high flow cat. I do have a picture of it. I really kick myself now for now making some video clips of the exhaust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:20 PM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:25 PM
Wade that looks like a stock cat?

Im running a 2.5" downpipe to a hacked up ebay catback with fart can somewhere between 2.25-2.5" diamater lol. For being all straight through its ver quiet, and wouldnt be as loud when I get on it but I have an open dump wg This is only temporary since I had the exhaust sitting around and open dp was killing me.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:45 PM
2.5" SS Mandrel bent turbo back. 28" thrush glasspack, Dynomax super turbo muffler. stock sounding at idle, still hear the turbo spool and the bov go... love mine.

that is a custom setup with a t3/t4 running 6.5 psi. let me know if you have any other questions or need a pic of my exhaust, i have plenty.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:04 PM
Sounds good vince, what spring you using in your tial bov?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:19 PM
yea sounds real good i wish mine sounded like that haha

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:32 PM
its whatever came in it from ATP haha. no idea.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TIL-BOV-001&Category_Code=BOV

that is exactly how i ordered it. now i need the tial wastegate to match it

here is a pic of the down pipe and the rest of the exhaust.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:21 PM
Same resonator I have! Lol I just noticed some of my ugly exhaust sound is coming from a leak at the down pipe so hopefully once I get it fixed it'll be just quiet but nice sounding

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:44 PM
I had a 3" setup with a Flowmaster 10 series and loved it. Not exactly quiet though.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:47 PM
i have a 2.4 with full 3" to an Apexi WS turbo muffler, muffler needed modded but im very happy with how it turned out, ill get some vids and such once shes all back together

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:04 PM
Well I dont have my turbo anymore but it was quiet until you stepped on the gas then it was a whole different story... I had turbo back 2.5 " exhaust , magnaflow resonator , and ebay straight through can muffler...

Windy City TurboZ
Friday, January 30, 2009 12:53 AM
I made sure mine was as quiet as I could get as I am not a fan of loud cars. My set up is a 2.5" down pipe to a 3" down pipe back exhaust with a 30" resonator to a 98-02 Fbody Magnaflow muffler and stock WS6 T/A tips which make it look all stock and gives it a deep sound but not loud at all.. I get people asking me all the time if I’m just using a bit shot of nitrous since there is no way a stock Jbody can be that fast lol.

Video (not the best but all I got... listen closely and you can hear a deep growl at like 8seconds in) And I can try and get a video clip of it at idle if you want.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-JR_85q1I&feature=channel_page

and pictures..

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Friday, January 30, 2009 7:51 AM
Wow josh that's a real nice setup, and lafngas if u could get an exhaust clip once its all together thatd be great I real wanted the world sport muffler but went with the hks cuz I got if off a totaled wrx for like 30 bucks, I didn't think it was to bad for the cf edition hyper exhaust

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:37 AM
I have a cheesy tiny borla cat back setup...

quite as hell!!!

when it's time to play the QTP cutout switch to open, dumps right under the passenger seat...

Yeah it's loud

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:46 AM
icemike89 wrote:Wade that looks like a stock cat?

Yeah it does now that you mention it. It is possible that it might be. I have heard from several exhaust shops that the inside opening is about 2.5" so all you really need to do is cut back a little further on the cat and weld on the 2.5" pipe.

I actually bought the car like that. I talked to Lingenfelter Performance and they said it had a high flow cat. It had been several years since they had done the work so it could have just been a mistake.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, January 30, 2009 1:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/slowl61

meehhh

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, January 30, 2009 1:18 PM
Not me... Atmospheric dump FTMFW

Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:06 AM
Jazer Esquire wrote:Not me... Atmospheric dump FTMFW

i know my friends srt4 i so quiet until that wastegate opens, its awesome haha

Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:00 PM
cavipower1 wrote:like i said who else has turbo cars that are real quiet and what exhaust compenents are u running? im running a magnaflow cat, thrush resonator, custom tubes 2.5 inch piping and a hks hyper exhaust and it is too quiet almost like stock sounding. im running the saab setup on 6psi. only upside is that you can really really hear the blow off valve when it goes off, but i was hoping for at least a little more agressive sound. real sleeper though haha

Get rid of your cat, you'll get a little more agressive sound and some power.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:30 PM
On a turbo car I would never run a resonator, or cat, just a straight through muffler. Usually they are quieter still, except when on it.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:39 PM
resonator takes out the rasp big time... i would highly recommend a resonator.

Sunday, February 01, 2009 4:34 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:resonator takes out the rasp big time... i would highly recommend a resonator.

Never heard rasp on a turbo car, sorry.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search